P-51d Over Heating in the Desert

Flyer0001

Tried a new campaign for the P-51d. Afrika 1942 using the Nevada map. Jumped to the 3rd mission "Pincers" as I am new to the P-51d. I can't even get off the ground without the coolant gauge hitting the maximum temperature. Tried all kinds of things like manually opening the radiator up to air before taking off. Is someone else flying this mission and doing okay?

Tried a new campaign for the P-51d. Afrika 1942 using the Nevada map. Jumped to the 3rd mission "Pincers" as I am new to the P-51d. I can't even get off the ground without the coolant gauge hitting the maximum temperature. Tried all kinds of things like manually opening the radiator up to air before taking off. Is someone else flying this mission and doing okay?

Open coolant doors

Keep engine around 1000 rpm while taxing.

Avoid tail wind while taxing.

Same with take off, no tail wind.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thank you for responding. Never occurred to me about tail wind although in this case you start out very close to the runway. What made the difference is opening the oil coolant door along with the radiator coolant door. This seemed to help cool the radiator fluid as well. Apparently I need a lot more practice. I barely made it to the battle without overheating and was in no condition for a dogfight. Other planes were flying around without hindrance or restraint.

Coolant radiator door takes 20 seconds to fully traverse from full closed to full open or vice versa. (Though I believe they are default open on a cold start). The Oil radiator is only about 5 seconds.

PS: And they are a click and HOLD to keep it opening/closing. They are spring loaded to return to NEUTRAL when released, leaving the radiator door in whatever position it was at.

You should be able to hear oil/coolant actuator motors while opening them. So wait until motors go silent then you have them opened fully.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

While there IS a sound for the motors, depending on ones hearing, they may be barely audible with the engine noise. To get a sense of what to listen for, activate them before starting the engine. Then you will know what to listen for when the engine is running.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say that mustang suffer from overheating in hot temp.

I set 33 C, i tried 61" 3000 rpm but this lead to extreme overheat 30" 45" 61" those were setps in increasing MP, i didn't go for 61" at beginning of take off roll.

Apparently even at 50" Mustang still overheats.

Something wrong here.

(Though I believe they are default open on a cold start)

They'll close automatically once you've got the engine running, so you'll need to open them manually later anyway.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

They'll close automatically once you've got the engine running, so you'll need to open them manually later anyway.

Correct, I was mainly answering the question of how long it took for them to open and their starting position. I did assume they knew the switch is in "automatic", meaning the door would start to close, but if they turned it off prior to start or VERY shortly there after, they would not have to wait for them to open because they already were.