Need advice on AA combat

jfri

I find dog fighting very difficult in WW2 planes like for example the P51. In the last mission in the Blue Nose campaign I should scramble to meet fighters over the airport. I always end up being shoot down and are unable to hit something. Either I see planes coming directly towards me or can't catch up on them. When turning around to evade attacks from behind or trying get behind a plane I fail. Can't turn fast enough and easy lose control of plane. Flying this plane correctly in AA combat is a thing I don't have a clue about.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

I find dog fighting very difficult in WW2 planes like for example the P51. In the last mission in the Blue Nose campaign I should scramble to meet fighters over the airport. I always end up being shoot down and are unable to hit something. Either I see planes coming directly towards me or can't catch up on them. When turning around to evade attacks from behind or trying get behind a plane I fail. Can't turn fast enough and easy lose control of plane. Flying this plane correctly in AA combat is a thing I don't have a clue about.

For the P51, use wep where needed, to do this press E when at full throttle to break the wep wire then reset the throttle to full again, this gives you more MP to play with. when using wep you will likely need to manually control the radiators, the controls for that are on the mid left of the cockpit under two covers, i recommend binding these. Also get used to the time they take to open and close as this will dictate how long you can run at high temp for.

for hitting targets, make sure the wing span is set right, for most aircraft you'll face it will be around 10m or 33ft. when leading a targe place the pipper on the centre of the aircraft to get a fire solution. what i would suggest is learning to do accurate heavy bursts of fire into an aircraft. peppering an aircraft wont do much when compared to longer bursts that are accurate, this will also save ammo.

you will also need to continually adjust the sight for range which i also advise having binded to a set of buttons on a hotas.

when flying against a 109 dont get slow and if you do then utilise 10degree of flaps, specific manauvers should allow you to make a 109 over shoot but you highly risk being hit. against 190s you shouldnt have much issue turning with them or keeping with them.

As for catching them, the 109 and mustang have similar top speeds, id recommend revising the best dive angle to accelerate the fastest as the 109 sevrely out performs the 51 in most areas.

Another thing is to have good axis curves set for the controls, this allows fine control at a given section of travel, this will be more noticable at low speed where the aircraft is likely to stall if large amounts of force are applied.

Summary:

Use WEP (E to activate when at full throttle max safe time listed at 5min but can go for longer)

Use manual radiator control (bind these onto hotas, oil and coolant)

Dont get slow, and if you do use 10 degree of flaps and specific manauvers (bind the flaps)

Have the gunsight wingspan properly set and the range correct (bind the ranging to hotas)

• 2 weeks later...
For the P51, use wep where needed, to do this press E when at full throttle to break the wep wire then reset the throttle to full again

This was the only thing new to me. So first full throttle then E and then ? How to reset throttle to full when it is already there ?

This was the only thing new to me. So first full throttle then E and then ? How to reset throttle to full when it is already there ?

In the sim, as in real life, the throttle was limited from full extension by a wire to prevent the engine from being worn out (or exploding) prematurely. Most operations, even in combat, did not need that last little bit of power.

War Emergency Power is just that; you only used it in an emergency, and activated it by pushing the throttle through and past the wire barrier on the throttle to push the engine into the 'red'. In the sim, by pushing 'E' (or whatever button on your HOTAS you assign it to) with the throttle at the wire 'breaks' the wire and gives you that last extra bit of power/performance. The visual representation of your throttle will move forward to the stops.

You can take it out of WEP by pulling your throttle back a bit, but it will still be there for more use up to a total of I think 10 minutes(?) in that flight if needed.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

I have same issue here, IMHO this wep should be set up like one way throttle detent.

So you can advance throttle to lets 90% or what ever it could be then you have to press e or hold some key while advancing more in order to break stop wire.

Right now throttle is at 100% than you press E then throttle range is remapped to lower value at the same time boost regulator is going crazy because it no longer starts working at 41-42" but at 48".

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Back to original post: what is you situational awareness (SA) like?

If you don't have VR or TrackIR or something of that nature you are going to struggle.

With TrackIR and 1-on-1 or 2-on-1 it's hard not to kill the AI aircraft in my experience. 2-on-1 (you are always 1 since AI wingmen are useless) the AI might get lucky but generally... it's hard to lose in the Mustang or Spit against a single AI adversary IF (big IF) you have good SA. I don't have the P-47 yet but watching videos on it that aircraft looks like it'd have no issues against the FWs and might get strung out against the Me109 if drawn into a turning fight.

It's all about SA.

Edited by reece146

At what power setting are you flying ?

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 5 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 9:20 PM, jfri said:

With P-51, patience is the key. Just don't rush, and be patient. Learn its limits, and then you'll find out it is very powerful aircraft once you learn how to use it. Turning is probably the most difficult thing, because its wings were designed for speed and not for lift, it requires to start a turn very slowly, and then to accelerate the turn, untill it starts shaking, that would be its maximum turn rate. And be patient, once again, if you rush in P-51, you are dead meat.

You could try combat flaps. 1st stage when turning, I find this particularly useful at high altitudes, but it can prevent the snap rolls when pulling on the stick in a turn and enable a slightly tighter turn provided you have the energy. But be aware that using them will cause more energy loss. So retract them when you don’t need them. For example if I’m in a fight and my enemy goes low and I follow I retract my flaps to gain as much speed as possible. As I’m turning to gain a firing solution I may consider dropping to 1st stage flaps to get my nose on him to take a shot. Then retract them again if not turning tight. It works for me with the mustang if you wanted to try it. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV