Why is this thing so slow?

If you manage to fly slower than the I-16 while trying to go as fast as possible, then you are handling it completely wrong.

And no, P-51, K4 and D9 are all somewhat together with a quite high speed, then probably our Spitfire and then the I-16

P-51 is just about the fastest warbird in DCS :)

I think, you are doing something wrong with your flying.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The P-51D is fast, but it takes a while to get up to its top speed. It is not quick. As Michael Irwin (American football player) has said, "Fast is fast. But quick is getting fast sooner."

For all its streamlining and low drag it's still a heavy airplane, which negatively affects its acceleration and climb. If you've lost your speed, you'll need some altitude to get it back quickly. The best way to enter a fight is to already be fast, especially at lower altitudes, and never relinquish it. Once you've dumped your energy/speed, you cannot get it back quickly, and 'slower' aircraft that accelerate better will eat you up.

Also, the Mustang with half a load of fuel still has more endurance than most of its opponents. Try keeping your weight down by limiting your fuel load a bit. And skip that pre-flight pastry.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

Lol, so true. I see people flying with their gear down way to often.

Same here :pilotfly:

or with mixture in wrong position, i think this is most common issue.

Sitting on airfield at low idle rpm for 15 min -30 min then, being surprised why this plane has no power :)

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 weeks later...
When does the Mustang get 150 Octane!? It’s the real deal...Allied Forces had 150 Octane!

Better question is. Does P-51 get increased power setting at all ?

150 fuel is not enough you need to adjust boost regulator to have any effects with 150 fuel.

Edited by grafspee

The mustang is the fastest warbird we have now. The only problem is that it is not the one with the best engine. In fact it has the WORST power to weight ratio of all warbirds (except the I16, but that's just a previous gen fighter)

The thing about the Mustang is that it handles energy like a boss. You get it trimmed and you can fly for hours at minimum power, then switch to full power and keep all the energy you have and just out run or out manouver your enemies while they struggle with their own energy.

This has a "BUT" (and a big one) if you find yourself without energy then you are dead. Mustang cannot accelerate as fast as any of the warbirds specially at low altitude (where you will find yourself without energy)

So all in all, stay high, stay fast, don't bleed energy and you will be the best (or you will be able to just run away)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
P-51 TS: 437 mph

P-47-30 TS: 433 mph

FW-190 Dora TS:426 mph (same as the A8)

Spit Mk IX TS: 404mph

Bf-109 TS: 380mph

I-16 TS: 316 mph

This is max speed mind you. I used to feel the same way as you though, till I learned how to handle her better.

Wait a minute. D9 is the same as A8?

P-51 TS: 437 mph

P-47-30 TS: 433 mph

FW-190 Dora TS:426 mph (same as the A8)

Spit Mk IX TS: 404mph

Bf-109 TS: 380mph

I-16 TS: 316 mph

This is max speed mind you. I used to feel the same way as you though, till I learned how to handle her better.

Spitfire faster then 109 ? doubt.

Silversmith????? Ur getting roughly 480mph? That doesn't seem right

Yeah, this plane top speed is around 440 mph at 24k ft at full power. Flying faster at continuous power rating at 5k ft alt could be FM bug then.

I can get close to 480 mph in pretty steep dive only in this plane :) at this alt.

Edited by grafspee

I'd hazard a guess Silversmith just made a typo, probably being used to gaugesbeing scaled in kts, as in modern general aviation. No need to read too much into his post.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I'd hazard a guess Silversmith just made a typo, probably being used to gaugesbeing scaled in kts, as in modern general aviation. No need to read too much into his post.

Even if it is in mph 420 mph at 5k ft at mediocre power settings still looks way to fast.

Acording to fligh data of p-51 at 2700rpm 46" top speed at 5k ft = 345mph

400 mph mark is passed at 67" 3000 rpm at 8k ft.

420 mph mark is passed at 67" 3000 rpm at 20k ft.

So no, no. This must be a major FM bug

Edited by grafspee

Just checked the speed on autumn map, 15 degrees, 5000 ft. With 46" and 2600 RPM it was about 310 IAS, which corresponds to 345-ish TAS, so it matches figure graf posted. Whatever Silversmith got, it sure as hell didn't happen in simulation mode.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Just checked the speed on autumn map, 15 degrees, 5000 ft. With 46" and 2600 RPM it was about 310 IAS, which corresponds to 345-ish TAS, so it matches figure graf posted. Whatever Silversmith got, it sure as hell didn't happen in simulation mode.

Good news :)

Is it just me or is the P-51 one of the slowest warbirds in the sim right now? I was always under the impression that the mustang was one of the fastest planes of the war. Is this because the other warbirds are later models?

Are you sure you're running the engine at max speed (3000 RPM)?

Hold down PageUp to set the propeller governor to max RPM. Apply full throttle and press E to engage WEP.

The P-51 is very fast because of its low drag, but it's quite heavy for its engine horsepower so it'll take a while to get up to speed.

Also, it won't do the oft-quoted 437 MPH at low altitude. Try getting it up to ~25,000-30,000 feet or thereabouts for speed runs.

AD

Edited by Aluminum Donkey

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!