The Détecteur de Départ Missile (DDM)

Zeus67

The Détecteur de Départ Missile (DDM a.k.a. D2M) is an optional sensor for the Mirage 2000.

The sensors themselves are in the rear end of the Magic II launch pylons.

C36.JPG

The Mirage 2000C (Chasseur) does not carry it although the ECM panel does have the switch to turn it on/off.

The system is installed in the Mirage 2000D, which is the two-seater attack variant.

It is mainly used to detect the IR signature of MANPADs in order to warn the pilot of a missile threat that cannot be detected by the RWR. Since MANPADs have a very limited engagement zone, it makes sense that only the attack variant carries the D2M.

I decided to include it because I know many of you like to drop bombs with the M-2000C.

Please take note that if you do not carry Magic II missiles, you won't have the D2M system.

M2000C%20DDM%20Sensors_zpsweyuoksv.png

How it works? Apart from knowing that it sounds the alarm after detecting an enemy missile launch I don't know. Like all other aircraft defense measures, the D2M is heavily classified, so no public info exists apart from some photos showing their location.

The coverage zone is my decision based on two things:

1. If I let the window to be blinded by the pylon in the rear aspect, then the blind spot behind the aircraft will be very wide. So I assumed that inside it has a prism that allows it to cover some portion of the aircraft rear towards the engine exhaust.

2. It cannot look too far ahead because it will be masked by the missile in the pylon. So I guessed that the best coverage would be 135º that allows the sensor to cover a large portion of both the rear and the side.

There is a blind spot that is exactly towards the rear, but the probability of a missile being launched at that spot is quite low and with distance the sensor fov will eventually overlap.

How the threat warning will be presented on the cockpit is a WAGUESS. I think that an aural warning along with a spike (a thin line) showing launch azimuth in the RWR would be the best.

The system is WiP and I will try to have it ready this week.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Nice, thanks Zeus! :)

I guess the Mirage is getting close to be completed?

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice, are we going to be able to choose if we want it or not on our plane ? If so it would be nice to be able to force it off in ME.

I'm sorry but I doubt it. The D2M requires a modification in the Magic II pylons so we can model the sensor window in them.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Ah...

Does Mirage-2000C have capablity for D2M?

Which is just doesn't use it or doesn't have capablity?

It has the capability, it just does not use it. Probably a money reason since the system is for those aircraft flying close to the ground and under threat from MANPADs.

IRL D2M was never used on the C, only on D and maybe an N versions.

Zeus I hope you can find a solution because I don't want my mirage to have this thing on it in, it's a realistic matter. Couldn't you make 2 choice when you select the Magic missile in the rearm window, one with the D2M and one without ?

I'm not questioning the choice of adding the D2M, it's great to have it, but I won't always want it for more realistic scenarios and screenshots for example.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Zeus I hope you can find a solution because I don't want my mirage to have this thing on it in, it's a realistic matter. Couldn't you make 2 choice when you select the Magic missile in the rearm window, one with the D2M and one without ?

I'm not questioning the choice of adding the D2M, it's great to have it, but I won't always want it for more realistic scenarios and screenshots for example.

I can do that, my problem is the pylon model. As in I will need two pylons, one with and one without, to reflect this possibility. Let me see what can be done.

It has the capability, it just does not use it. Probably a money reason since the system is for those aircraft flying close to the ground and under threat from MANPADs.

ok

I'm happy for hearing it.

It has capablity = It has possibility for using D2M.

I think that it is in the allowance of realistic.

I will never understand these kinds of people

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

People don't fight or I will sic the moderators on you. :smartass:

Yeah, sorry for that... :(

I'll see the possibility of installing the D2M sensors as a pod, that way you can load them or not in the ME and we don't have to worry.

I must talk to the modeler on this one.