Question on dogfight missile override switch

GR00VYJERRY

In the real jet, the dogfight switch has three positions all of which latch in place, so you flick the switch to where you want it and it stays there until you move it again.

Dogfight Mode is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It brings up your gun sight along with AIM-9s at the same time, and places the radar in ACM mode. It also radically changes the HUD, removing most of the info and drawing a large circular orientation reference on it.

Missile Override Mode, or MRM Mode, is very similar to A-A Mode but automatically selects the longest range missile on the jet, typically an AMRAAM.

The center position on the switch is the default one with neither mode active, returning the Dogfight Switch to the center cancels either Dogfight Mode or MRM Mode and returns the jet to the state it was in when the switch was set to an override mode.

The primary advantage of either mode is the ability to access them quickly without removing your hands from the controls, and to cancel them easily as well. Dogfight mode has the further advantage of being a very specialized mode that allows you to engage with guns and Sidewinders at the same time and quickly access the ACM radar modes. The Viper's operating system also sees both of them as additional master modes (meaning the Viper has 5 master modes), and it will save your MFD settings and layouts for them just as it does for the other 3.

So, say you're in the middle of an attack run on a ground target when you get spiked by a bandit off your nose. Hitting the MRM Override button will immediately select an AMRAAM and put your radar and HSD on your screens, allowing you to find and shoot that bandit quickly without having to mess with weapon settings or MFD pages. Once the bandit is down, returning the switch to center will cancel MRM mode and return you to A-G all set up to continue your attack run.

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed explanations. One last thing then. When I am in dogfight mode, which button on the mfd brings me back to neutral or allows me to go to a-g mode (using icp or mfd)? For example, if I am flying in A-A and I switch to dogfight mode, if I push the a-g to on my icp it just stays in dogfight mode. I am not sure how to get it back to normal state or to A-G mode without using the override button. I know I can just click the override but I am trying to learn the plane better. thanks.

Regarding the center modes vs the non center modes. If I just use the dogfight/center and the missile/center, that should be good since it will put me in either mode and drop me back to normal at a second press,correct? I am just trying to figure out the best option. On the kid spikes guide I believe just the centered modes are listed on the dogfight/center and missile/center are setup.

Btw I am watching a lot of YouTube videos trying to learn the plane but there is a lot to learn and I don’t feel like everything is covered. The training missions In dcs for the f16 are lacking to say the least.

Edited by GR00VYJERRY

Thanks for the detailed explanations. One last thing then. When I am in dogfight mode, which button on the mfd brings me back to neutral or allows me to go to a-g mode (using icp or mfd)? For example, if I am flying in A-A and I switch to dogfight mode, if I push the a-g to on my icp it just stays in dogfight mode.

It says there, because the dogfight and and MRM mode are override modes. They override your normal master mode. You have to leave them first (switch back to center) before you can use one of the normal master modes again.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks for the detailed explanations. One last thing then. When I am in dogfight mode, which button on the mfd brings me back to neutral or allows me to go to a-g mode (using icp or mfd)? For example, if I am flying in A-A and I switch to dogfight mode, if I push the a-g to on my icp it just stays in dogfight mode. I am not sure how to get it back to normal state or to A-G mode without using the override button. I know I can just click the override but I am trying to learn the plane better. thanks.

Regarding the center modes vs the non center modes. If I just use the dogfight/center and the missile/center, that should be good since it will put me in either mode and drop me back to normal at a second press,correct? I am just trying to figure out the best option. On the kid spikes guide I believe just the centered modes are listed on the dogfight/center and missile/center are setup.

Btw I am watching a lot of YouTube videos trying to learn the plane but there is a lot to learn and I don’t feel like everything is covered. The training missions In dcs for the f16 are lacking to say the least.

You may find more luck watching Falcon BMS tutorials. Same aircraft and avionics but it's been around much longer than the DCS Viper has been so there's much more content.

There is no MFD button to exit the Dogfight or Missile override modes. You're meant to use the HOTAS button on the throttle to cancel the override mode you're in. Then you can select a different master mode.

There are a few different keybinding options to account for different control setups. I believe the dgft/center button will toggle between on and off. While the keybinds for just dgft override will only switch it on, then you'd need another key bound to the center position to exit the mode.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Unless you have a 3 position switch, I recommend you use the key bind that toggles between dogfight and center. You can do the same for missile override, too.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria