Using GBU bombs with buddy lasing

honeycool75

Since the Mirage is without a targeting pod, how do we go about buddy lasing? I watch a few videos where to enable CCRP, the pilot will have to manually designate the target while your buddy is supposedly lasing. This not like the Harrier where there's a function to scan for lased targets.

My point is, how do we coordinate the effort, i.e. manual designate the correct target that is currently lased? There's a lot going on during a mission.

Hope to get some pointers here.

Edited by honeycool75

My point is, how we coordinate the effort, i.e.

Talking!

Additionally, some aircraft can mark targets with smoke or IR pointers.

Edit: To give you an idea how such a Talk-On can look like in real life, here's a quote from the following book: https://media.defense.gov/2017/Mar/31/2001724978/-1/-1/0/B_0090_HAAVE_HAUN_A10S_OVER_KOSOVO.PDF

We were almost there—only three miles away. I looked out and saw Stew 21 circling over the valley to the south, slightly higher than us and about four miles away. “Stew, Taco’s visual, ready for the talk-on,” I announced.

“Right beneath you, there’s a fairly long town in the middle of the valley, oriented north-south. Call contact.”

I looked down into the valley. There were a lot of towns. I came back inside, checked my map, checked the compass, back outside. Yep, there was the town that he was talking about, and it was pretty much north-south. “Contact,” I replied and then added, “Confirm that there is a hardball road leading through the length of the town.”

“Affirmative,” came the answer. “Let’s call the length of that town one unit. Now look on the eastern side of that town. There’s a dirtball road leading southeast up into the hills. Call contact.”

I looked down. There were a lot of dirtball roads, some more prominent than others. “I see a lot of dirtball roads,” I said.

“Right, this one is the most prominent one. It leads out in a straight line to the southeast and hits a tree line in the hills about two to three units away from the town.”

I looked down. None of the roads that led out the town to the southeast ran into a tree line. I checked my orientation. OK, I was looking to the southeast of the town. No trees. My frustration started to build.

[...]

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

As QuiGon said, you need target correlation!

For bomb on target, you'll acquire visually the target with a talk on, use FIDO method, From (known point), In direction of (NSEW), Distance (made up unit or meters if small) and Objective (self explanatory). Basic rule is go from bigger to smaller features, use colored things, use orientation and set some points (Alpha bravo..) if your final objective is far.

If bomb on coordinates, you're screwed with the Mirage C, I've never done it and it's out of the question but if you have no choice and your drift isn't too crazy, you could type in the coordinates (DDD°MM.MM which is annoying for the guy passing the grids...) as a waypoint and then correlation will be the readback from your system. Once done, line up within 10 miles and pray that, first, time of fall is long enough under ceiling and second, that your AG designate was accurate enough... lol good luck

I had F16's buddy lase for me before and it worked on and off, needs more testing.

Edited by Madone
wrong LL

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

Overall, you can attack on target's coordinates with buddy lasing.

- plan a visible initial point near target area to update navigation.

- or disable INS drift (considering that INS update doesn't really work as it should, I consider it fair enough).

Then you can designate the + of the waypoint in the HUD, with buddy lasing, that's good enough.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

target's coordinates are usually enough for me

if you don't want your GBU to miss, drop from higher altitude - 40k ft 12nm to the target, you'll never miss

wow way overkill man, realistically it is good not to force the kit to over adjust the trajectory or the bomb will bleed energy and impact with a flat angle.

+10k feet AGL should be good enough.

To summarize for OP, make sure laser codes are the same, make sure the lasing A/C is not masking the laser spot by flying roughly the same heading, lase at least 8 seconds, then if you have good visual, delivery on WP grid or on visual is up to you.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What changed in the last year? I used to bomb targets with ease using the GBU-12 provided there was JTAC lasing the target. I know all about plopping in the coordinates with the INS.

I've just been away awhile from the M2K and a lot has changed.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria