For the sake of realism

Silent Film

I know it will sound rude when I say this, but you really have no idea what you're talking about.

There is no ''one true FoV to rule them all'', each monitor is apt to be a different size, remember 17'' all the way to 110'' monsters, it would be different for each one.

The ''zoom'' IS field of view. Adjust it to whatever you like, then save it as the default. Alternatively, you can edit the LUA as Rudel suggested. Adjustable FoV is a NECESSITY due to aforementioned ''each monitor is different''. That's why, wait for it.... EVERY SIM EVER HAS HAD IT.

This. The default FoV will stay the same obviously, but a ''realistic'' FoV will be possible without losing so much peripheral vision. I.e. if you configure the HUD to be 4'' across on a 19'' monitor, you will have relatively little view around that. On a 55'' TV, the HUD can be set about four inches across, but you'd have a ton of additional vision around it.

It's not that hard to understand.

First you say that there is no one true FoV to rule them all, and each monitor is apt to be a different size, etc, and then you say the default FoV will stay the same no matter the monitor.

Of course the default FoV will remain the same no matter the monitor, and of course that it can be adjusted to fit the normal human vision by default, on every monitor.

If you want additional vision on a larger monitor, that is your will, but that doesn't make "the realistic FoV". Realistic FoV is the one of the human eye, and it could be set by default, but I can't set it with the zoom option myself, because I have no clue what should it be like, but the developers could take a photo from the cockpit of an aircraft with a normal lense, and then recreate that FoV in the game.

This again.

Take you monitor. Punch out the screen and all the technical gubbins behind so that you are left holding the frame.

Now take your monitor frame and go sit in the real cockpit of whatever DCS a/c is your reference of choice. Mount the frame at the distance it sits from you in your gaming rig set-up.

WHATEVER YOU SEE BOUNDED WITHIN THAT FRAME IS THE CORRECT FoV for a 1:1 REPRESENTATION.

ANY ARGUMENTS ABOUT VISIBILITY SHOULD BE REFERENCED AGAINST THIS.

ANY wider is "unrealistic", but necessary to provide some degree of SA.

If you want 180+ degree FoV you'll have to get a wrap around monitor to cover your percieved limits of peripheral vision.

If you don't get this, then that's your issue with the Laws of Physics, not something that ED can address.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
This again.

Take you monitor. Punch out the screen and all the technical gubbins behind so that you are left holding the frame.

Now take your monitor frame and go sit in the real cockpit of whatever DCS a/c is your reference of choice. Mount the frame at the distance it sits from you in your gaming rig set-up.

WHATEVER YOU SEE BOUNDED WITHIN THAT FRAME IS THE CORRECT FoV for a 1:1 REPRESENTATION.

ANY ARGUMENTS ABOUT VISIBILITY SHOULD BE REFERENCED AGAINST THIS.

ANY wider is "unrealistic", but necessary to provide some degree of SA.

If you want 180+ degree FoV you'll have to get a wrap around monitor to cover your percieved limits of peripheral vision.

If you don't get this, then that's your issue with the Laws of Physics, not something that ED can address.

The frame of my monitor has nothing to do with the field of view. Field of view is angle of view which creates the perspective. The angle of view and the perspective has nothing to do with the size of the monitor. Because it is the angle, and not the size. Like in photography, a 2 MP image and a 200 MP image can have the same field of view, no matter of the size.

I am not a developer of this simulation, and I can't program the default view. But I believe the default view should be the natural central vision of the human eye, and then for those who want to zoom in or out, the zoom option should also be available.

The frame of my monitor has nothing to do with the field of view.

I think you've misunderstood Fenrir.

If you try to squeeze more FoV onto the SAME piece of glass in front of you, you will get a different visual result.

If you try to squeeze 180 degrees of the world into a 33" monitor that is 1m in front of your face, you are reducing 180 degrees into about 33 degrees. So you are shrinking everything down to fit it onto the monitor. Thats' why it's hard to see stuff, because we shrink it all down to fit it onto monitors.

As soon as game FoV > Angle from your eyes to either side of your monitor, you are making stuff smaller (and harder to see) than real life. . .

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

I think you've misunderstood Fenrir.

If you try to squeeze more FoV onto the SAME piece of glass in front of you, you will get a different visual result.

If you try to squeeze 180 degrees of the world into a 33" monitor that is 1m in front of your face, you are reducing 180 degrees into about 33 degrees. So you are shrinking everything down to fit it onto the monitor. Thats' why it's hard to see stuff, because we shrink it all down to fit it onto monitors.

As soon as game FoV > Angle from your eyes to either side of your monitor, you are making stuff smaller (and harder to see) than real life. . .

I don't understand what are you talking about. I just want the default field of view from the cockpit to be like that of a standard lens, that is 45mm lens on a 35mm film camera, or equivalent, which is closest to the vision of the human eye. Anyways I know it won't happen, but I just say it should be like that in order to be realistic.

Try playing with this: https://simracingsetup.com/tools/sim-racing-fov-calculator/

I forget how I set mine - I was playing a lot of Assetto Corsa when I tripped over DCS so am likely using those settings - or maybe I found a guide here in the forums - I forget.

I get decent sense of speed and height with my setup but it can likely be tuned.

There are other calculators out there as well. Just stick something like "calculate field of view simulator" into your browser search bar. Some good explanatory stuff on Youtube also.