Coolant temp issue

grafspee

Coolant overheat.

What am i doing wrong?

Coolant and oil coolers were wide open, If set to auto coolant temp would hit 150C. Plane has cooling problems even at 200mph IAS. Forget for high power climb.

P-51Overheat..trk

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

30°C is quite hot, it has an impact on performance. I have two Mustang manuals, but none of then has a OAT limitation envelope. So one has to reduce power to stay within coolant and oil temperature limits. With continuous power the temperatures stay in limits. So I would not put that heavy load on the Mustang. HVAR and Bombs is too much, unless you accept very low rate of climbs at 30°C at cont. power.

I switched to other aircraft in your mission.

The Spitfire gets also hot, but there the Oil temperature is the problem, coolant seems to be okay.

The K4 with a 500kg bomb flies fine at Sonder-Notleistung, but perhaps MW50 helps here to cool the engine.

Same for the Dora.

So for now, you can only reduce power, to stay in temperature limits at high OAT.

Is the Mustangs temperature behaviour correctly represented in DCS? I don't know.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

I just watched this, Coolant gauge is not visible easy on this but you can see it from time to time.

For me coolant temp stays rock steady during take off, climb and cruise.

The most interesting part is landing when pilot cut throttle completely, coolant temp is not going down at all like it is happening in DCS, when you cut throttle you have coolant in ambient temp in matter of seconds.

maybe this P-51 has thermostatic valves implemented somewhere or DCS cooling modelling is off.

This issue apply to all warbirds, but P-51 suffer most of it.

How this system is automatic when coolant door is opening too slow for simple loop.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I've tried with 25C SL temp. Climbed to 25k FT, set max power, guess what, coolant door was wide open and coolant temp was at red line in level flight.

My question is, is this plane even capable of fighting at high alt? because even slight speed drop makes coolant go over 121C.

During take off at 25C ambient temp automatic system will lead to over heat in take off even with reduced power to 55".

I just dont believe that this is like in real P-51.

I've tried with 25C SL temp. Climbed to 25k FT, set max power, guess what, coolant door was wide open and coolant temp was at red line in level flight.

My question is, is this plane even capable of fighting at high alt? because even slight speed drop makes coolant go over 121C.

During take off at 25C ambient temp automatic system will lead to over heat in take off even with reduced power to 55".

I just dont believe that this is like in real P-51.

I think it says in the manual to open water radiator before take-off. Not 100% sure.

Manual never ever says to use manual mode in normal operations, only when automatic fails.

No mention of need for lower take off power in hot climate :)

Any way in DCS it does not matter if it is 61 or 50 you will still overheat, even with coolant door open fully at temps above 30C(if set to auto you will hit gauge max limit which is something above 150C), which is not that high because at airfield plate air temp can be even higher in sunny day.

ZD3f4JQ.png

mObABTC.jpg

ho4n0hK.png

8GkFhTK.png

Edited by grafspee