DMT at night

Sirchuzzalot

Yes, AV-8B N/A is a "Night Attack" aircraft because the dedicated FLIR on top of the nose (just front of the canopy) and you have a raster capable HUD so you get the FLIR video on it. This means you can perform a traditional combat at night.

What made Harrier better than even Hornets in the bombing (or AV-8B+) was the DMT (Dual Mode Tracker) in ARBS (Angle Rate Bombing System). You get very accurate bombing solution with it compared to radar calculated bombing solution, without using laser guided bombs or so.

But the problem is that DMT is day-time only for "camera use", what classifies Harrier as "Day-time fighter". But, again you are not just required to use the visual camera to engage targets. As the DMT has the LST (Laser Spot Track) feature, so you can use it to search a laser designated targets at night and then engage targets using just that, as the DMT is the sub-mode for ARBS and you get the ARBS does it calculation for you when DMT is tracking a laser designated target.

Why the TPOD was major boost to performance as you could now operate at night similar manner and use laser guided weapons instead dumb bombs.

The TPOD just makes Harrier more like a Hornet and such to operate, takes the "fun out of it" as the DMT really makes the fun to it.

What you can as well do, is to carry the IR maverick and use it as your "poor man FLIR" as A-10A pilots did. But now if you combine the DMT with LST with it, you get to use DMT for laser designation search and then sleeve IR maverick on target and engage targets at night that way.

These combinations makes the TPOD less needed, but as the DMT (or maverick) doesn't give you the longer range observation capabilities, it is more with a eyes only without TPOD.

So is it possible that you are remembering either using a IR-Maverick with the DMT, or TPOD?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Okay, thanks for your replies.

I must have been misremembering using the dmt at night - specifically with IR Mavs.

I'm glad to know it's not a bug and I'll just switch to using laser mavs instead.

Thanks for your replies :joystick:

It may be confusing that one of the DMT buttons (MFCD) has a FLIR (non-clickable) function:

g3QPAaJm.jpg

But FLIR its a separate function.

How FLIR works:

QCq8PnQbbqI

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes, AV-8B N/A is a "Night Attack" aircraft because the dedicated FLIR on top of the nose (just front of the canopy) and you have a raster capable HUD so you get the FLIR video on it. This means you can perform a traditional combat at night.

What made Harrier better than even Hornets in the bombing (or AV-8B+) was the DMT (Dual Mode Tracker) in ARBS (Angle Rate Bombing System). You get very accurate bombing solution with it compared to radar calculated bombing solution, without using laser guided bombs or so.

But the problem is that DMT is day-time only for "camera use", what classifies Harrier as "Day-time fighter". But, again you are not just required to use the visual camera to engage targets. As the DMT has the LST (Laser Spot Track) feature, so you can use it to search a laser designated targets at night and then engage targets using just that, as the DMT is the sub-mode for ARBS and you get the ARBS does it calculation for you when DMT is tracking a laser designated target.

Why the TPOD was major boost to performance as you could now operate at night similar manner and use laser guided weapons instead dumb bombs.

The TPOD just makes Harrier more like a Hornet and such to operate, takes the "fun out of it" as the DMT really makes the fun to it.

What you can as well do, is to carry the IR maverick and use it as your "poor man FLIR" as A-10A pilots did. But now if you combine the DMT with LST with it, you get to use DMT for laser designation search and then sleeve IR maverick on target and engage targets at night that way.

These combinations makes the TPOD less needed, but as the DMT (or maverick) doesn't give you the longer range observation capabilities, it is more with a eyes only without TPOD.

So is it possible that you are remembering either using a IR-Maverick with the DMT, or TPOD?

Great post, I hadn't thought about using the LST to slew an IR Maverick to a target. Neat!

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD