K-14 gunsight modes

Reflected

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what mode do you set your K-14s when you are fighting? Also, do you have any reference how the real pilots used it back in WW2?

Using the ring only is pure guesswork.

Using both can be really confusing in close combat.

If I switch to gyro only, there is a catch: It calculates lead based on the movement of my plane, not the enemy. So it only works as long as the enemy plane is stationary on my combining glass. If it's a deflection shot, then you need to guess how much ahead the pipper should be. This seems to be even more difficult than with the ring only.

So what is your advice?

I'm so used to flying in Cliffs of Dover that I much prefer the fixed sight. Using both can give some indication of lead but I certainly don't use the gyro alone as it's never accurate.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

I use the fixed sight in combination with the gyroscope. I've tried using the fixed sight alone, because there is less in your sights overlaying your view, but I found that there is no way to tell if your bullets are falling short of your target or if your are over-shooting. The gyroscope makes my day :), it also give you an indication of if you are slewing without looking down at the 'ball'.

That being said, I've practiced a few times attacking a target B-17 (thank you Markindel :thumbup:), and you are approaching the B-17 so quickly, that the gyroscope is useless. Then I just aim with a small lead, depending on the AoA, but you only have a second or so anyway. Attacking directly from the rear is the best way to get turned into Swiss cheese :D

The only issue I have with the K-14 is that I haven't found a solution for setting the wingspan. I use the gray thumb-hat on the TM Warthog HOTAS left-right for adjusting it, but it moves too fast to really set is very exactly. Often I have to tap it left and right a few times, until I have it where I want it :cry:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I use the K14 with both fixed and gyro modes. The fixed is only a little cross in the middle so I know my reference point, while my gyro is set for 1100ft and Fw190 wing span.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Really I think this comes down to personal preference. Some will be used to the fixed reticle and perform well without the gyro.

I do really think, though, that the K14's gyro will increase your accurate shot placements when you learn to use the range finder properly.

In the actual aircraft you could turn the range with the throttle handle. I have this on a rotary on the throttle handle, and once you learn to keep the wingspan dialed in, accuracy was increased for myself over planes without the gyro. And I primarily flew in planes without gyro sighting previously (or poorly implemented versions in other games).

I do find you can "snipe" with the combination of the gyro sight and the .50 cals on the P51, something that isn't easy on fixed reticle, cannon equipped aircraft in comparison. Personally it's much easier to hit components on the enemy plane to be a fairly big advantage over the fixed sight.

I usually cruise with both reticles fully on, then turn off the "clutter" for combat leaving the boresight cross and the gyro only for air-to-air. Like others have said it works as a slip indicator pretty well.

In general I like the K14 better than the EZ 42, as you can keep the boresight as well as an increased area of reflex glass. Otherwise I find them both superior to the gunsight in the 109.

have a look at this vid, a lot k-14 kills...

Yeah t4, just like you to illustrate k-14 kills with a video called "P51 sucks!".

The next time I see you on the ACG server, know what I'm going to do? I'm going to f*ckin' run, that's what. I'm nothing but a bullet magnet, for you and the rest. JK about the first part :smilewink:, please don't shoot me down too often :).

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

OK, I ended up using both sights at the same time. However, it's pretty annoying that I see puffs of smoke as I hit, then smoke/ fuel leaks only to see the 109 fly on unharmed and bite me in the @ss :(

I find it next to impossible to shoot them down from within 100 yards. Only a few of the guns hit, and that's not enough for anything.

But that has nothing to do with the gun sights.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I use the K14 with both fixed and gyro modes. The fixed is only a little cross in the middle so I know my reference point, while my gyro is set for 1100ft and Fw190 wing span.

How do I toggle this mode? I only have fixed (ring), fixed (ring) with k-14 and k-14 only.

How do I toggle this mode? I only have fixed (ring), fixed (ring) with k-14 and k-14 only.

There is a vertical lever on the left side of the gunsight to remove clutter. Don't remember the binding off-hand, but just search for "clutter" in the keybinds and you should find it.

K-14 mods are switched by rotary knob.

vertical lever is ON/OFF switch for gyro inside K-14

Screen_160805_232105.thumb.jpg.bd2de3723a70e549ae835548ec961150.jpg

Screen_160805_232115.thumb.jpg.c59f1485e8b403ddd2cfdc1dced1323e.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

There's a thread in here which corrected it to 1000'. Either way, I don't think 100 is going to make that much of a difference.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

1 and 5 are the default keyboard binds for switching the gunsight modes.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 3 years later...
Does the K14 range finder not work in the P51? I can adjust for wing width but the rotating knob on the left deosnt do anything. In the P47 I can rotate it.

its on the throttle, twist grip, you need to bind it to use it