P51D Videos

JimMack

Ah, understood, sorry Graf, my misinterpretation.

I think the DCS friction feels about right; considering the complexity of coefficient of friction calculations, as long as it's in the ball park - which it seems to be - i personally would rather see CPU cycles spent on AI or weather than on getting the worlds most perfect friction modelling in a sim.

Ah, understood, sorry Graf, my misinterpretation.

I think the DCS friction feels about right; considering the complexity of coefficient of friction calculations, as long as it's in the ball park - which it seems to be - i personally would rather see CPU cycles spent on AI or weather than on getting the worlds most perfect friction modelling in a sim.

Yes , agree it would probably mess up t/o and landings at the same time if any changes to this would be done,

But i feel like initial movement of plane is a little bit off it looks like it is glued to the ground, once it starts rolling its good.

It is the most visible when you set rpm at the edge, than plane starts slowly slowly creeping forward once wheels turn a little bit it starts rolling freely maybe it is simulation of rubber deformation or something maybe.

I think nothing is closer to real p-51 then DCS p-51 overall.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 4 weeks later...

The author of the video suggests overdone gyroscopic effect in DCS because, as he describes, there's a tendency to swing right when tailwheel is raised, yet gyroscopic effect in this case - CW rotating prop - should actually account for a "portwise swing" of the nose...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also love the WWII effort.

Can't wait for the Corsair. Would love to see midway map and WWII Carriers ;)

Just got into DCS again after a huge break (coming from lockon ACS and lockon flaming cliffs and a-10 from I don't even know how long ago)

Wow has it ever changed.

Anyways, bought the p-51d module to start with a plane that will have less of an instrument learning curve as I'm already familiar with planes in genreal and have a lot of simulator and real world hours.

Love it. Took a few attempts, but this was my 4'th landing attempt 3 wheel. Pretty standard stuff, a touch tail heavy IMO, but it has great flight characteristics and is easy to fly.

• Like 1

Modules: Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Nevada | Supercarrier | WWII Assets | FC3 | Spitfire | P-51D | P-47D | F-86F | L-39 | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | F-14B | A-4E-C | BS2

System: X570 AMD-3900X | 32GB DDR4 3000 | 2TB Gen 4x4 5GB/s NVME | Dual 1070 TI | 4k 32" Samsung

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DEAR GOD! Since the stable update and NVIDIA update, things appear to be running better.  But that is not why I am really here.  If I could hug someone at ED I would.  The level of immersion in VR with WW2 is starting to go straight through the roof.  Flew this quick mission earlier with the Mustang and what ride it was.  In VR when you begin to black out and the cockpit starts taking damage now, it a whole new ball game.  Bailing out over the channel still feels like you are really about to land in cold water.  I cannot thank ED enough for making my VR dreams a reality.  

And before it get mentioned, I killed the engine.  Got so astounded by all the details going on inside the cockpit from being hit, I forgot to bring the mixture back and slow the RPM.  Great job with the damage and engine model ED.  VERY excited for the future of DCS WW2.  Especially bombers someday.  Below is the video I shot today of the encounter.

• Like 1

Your enthusiasm is awesome. 👍

For me, I was hoping they will make AI more realistic, but not this time. I see they are focusing on visual effects, like all game/simulator creators anyways, because that is what sells the product. I don't use VR, my computer doesn't support it, but I think I would rather prefer fixed view anyways. But I would love to see AI behaves like a real pilot and laws of physics apply to his aircraft too.

I still feel that Mustang ammo is underpowered. Maybe they want to prove that "spraying" with ammo is ineffective, and we should use long bursts, but I shot this Anton from above, and from below, and from behind, and also with few longer bursts, but it still feels invincible. After his engine died, I think he should have crashed, his flying after that moment looks totally fake. In the end, I was following him with my engine running and I was struggling to maintain the altitude, while he flew in a complete straight path with his engine dead for so long like it's nothing, until he safely crash landed. Then I decided to collide with him, and both me and my plane exploded, while he just bailed out. And someone tell me he was not invincible.

Human Mustang vs. Hitler's Ace AI Anton of steel flown by Stalin himself (DCS World) - YouTube

On 12/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, grafspee said:

Yes , agree it would probably mess up t/o and landings at the same time if any changes to this would be done,

But i feel like initial movement of plane is a little bit off it looks like it is glued to the ground, once it starts rolling its good.

It is the most visible when you set rpm at the edge, than plane starts slowly slowly creeping forward once wheels turn a little bit it starts rolling freely maybe it is simulation of rubber deformation or something maybe.

I think nothing is closer to real p-51 then DCS p-51 overall.

Watching this video the other day I did notice how easily the aircraft rolls. It’s almost as if it’s only the brakes that are stopping forward motion. 2:30 he just rolls forward at walking pace with the prop visibly just idling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Watching this video the other day I did notice how easily the aircraft rolls. It’s almost as if it’s only the brakes that are stopping forward motion. 2:30 he just rolls forward at walking pace with the prop visibly just idling.

Agree, in DCS planes tend to roll in weird way. This is example, it's from ground i know but it pretty much apply from all surfaces. Ground handling looks like need a total rework.

But let be honest, this roll issue is like 0.01% of the content provided. I would be surprised if ED would attend this issue any time soon. 

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 month later...

Never did much flying/fighting in the P-51 until now. Flew a couple of online sorties with some easy kills (both AI and not-so-proficient human pilots). Then I got ripped apart by an AI Bf-109 probably set to "ace" or "veteran". So, I decided to do some more 1v1 training before going back online. Here's a video of my progress... Not proficient yet, but making progress (I think).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...