Mustang First Take-Off and Landing: Post your Tracks/Vids

159th_Viper

I would love to collect screenshots and/or videos of my P-51 flights. Sadly, mission replays are never what actually occurred and instead usually consist of the plane trying to bore a hole directly in the soil.

I was so bummed out after my first successful "go-around." I went back to watch the track in replay and gather some screen shots only to be disappointed. On the NTTR map, I did something I've been wanting to try for the longest time; under the Hoover dam bridge and quickly up and over the dam.

Went back to collect screenshots but now it's only memories.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, track replay is completely borked on 2.0

But it works with 1.5

Nope. None of my P-51 track replays in 1.5 are working worth a hoot either. Every one of them end in ridiculous crashes just after take-off; completely different from the actual first run through. Works fine with other modules.

It occurs to me, I should try the TF-51 and see what happens.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

• 8 months later...

Has anyone mastered the lifting of the tail during the takeoff run? After much practice, I can now takeoff consistently without become a flaming wreckage. To do this, I lock the tailwheel and keep back pressure on the stick until about 100kts. I then release the back pressure until the plane lifts off. However, if I even think about releasing back pressure on the stick before 100kts or dare to actually apply forward pressure in an attempt to lift the tail, I immediately induce a violent yaw and start skidding across the runway until I crash.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

You have to eeeeeeease the stick forward starting at about 90kts. No sudden movement.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

thats weird as ive been watching allot of takeoff vids for both the Mustang and the Spit in real world and they get that rear end up right at the begining of roll out... think i will work on this in DCS

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

thats weird as ive been watching allot of takeoff vids for both the Mustang and the Spit in real world and they get that rear end up right at the begining of role out... think i will work on this in DCS

Exactly!

I normally fly without takeoff assitance but with it turned up to 100%, I can get the tail up early and remain in control. I have to figure out what the takeoff assistance is managing to control that I cannot.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

true it really must be a good throttle hand honestly, must be a specific technique of getting all that torque to the perfect level and the same time perfect rudder. THink once we figure it out it will be second nature.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

landing Dora or Anton impossible for Me

Taking off in a Dora or Anton is easy once You know back right stick

and right pedal on takeoff, and center stick and up you go and do it slow.

Landing however, is very unforgiving. P51 I bounce now, but was better in

the past, and could take off and land a few times each up and down the runway.

Spitfire I don't use because of takeoff issues, and the 109 is nice, but the Dora

FW-190 has been My absolute favorite mod sense buying the Hawk.

A-8 sure is slow compared to the Mustang. boom and zoom via dogfight

Landing the Dora or Anton, I don't crash and burn, I live but the prop is

usually busted from a large bounce and running out of energy. Practice

is suppose to make You better, and I've been practicing for 4 years now.

Exactly!

I normally fly without takeoff assitance but with it turned up to 100%, I can get the tail up early and remain in control. I have to figure out what the takeoff assistance is managing to control that I cannot.

It's providing rudder inputs to keep your heading centred.

The majority of issues are as follows:

1) Rudder inputs too large and held too long; this results in overcorrection and a series of Pilot Induced Oscillations (PIOs) that get progressively larger.

Make your rudder inputs smaller and jab them in quickly, then release. Make three smaller jabs instead of one long full pedal application. Many smaller is better than one big one.

2) Keep the stick aft for the first 3-5 seconds of the run - on the P-51 this binds the tailwheel to your rudder helping to keep control; on the Fw 190 it locks the tailwheel to keep it from castoring; on the Spitfire and 109 it provides downforce on the tailwheel to keep it marginally less unstable.

3) Move the stick to neutral or very slightly aft (P-51, Fw 190, Bf 109) or very slightly forward (Spitfire) and let the tail lift in it's own time.

4) Once the tail is flying move the stick very slightly aft and let the airplane fly in it's own time. Can't stress this enough.

At takeoff the wing is in ground effect, allowing you to get airbourne at a lower speed than you can sustain once you move out of the GE boundary.

I see so many people haul the a/c into flight too soon and climb too steeply so that they punch through the GE boundary at below their stall speed; cue a stall, torque roll to the left and generally a flaming ball of avgas and cascading airframe components about 3-4 seconds thereafter.

dont forget about 5 right rudder trim this will reduce almost all need to use rudder for p-51

and full right rudder trim for spit

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...