How to use the emergency gear down

Rongor

Yes, i mean the one at 3 o clock, my bad. Not behind my PC, but I believe it's this one:

qrd9g5.png

Also not really sure if this valve only applies to flaps and/or gear. I'm certainly not an expert in this bird and it's a shame that there's no full manual out yet... Anyway, I managed to extend the emergency gear on multiple occasions with the same procedure as you describe, including opening this valve. The gear extended extremely slow whilst I was rocking the plane. Again, not sure if rocking or pulling positive G's is actually modeled and has an effect in the emergency gear release procedure, but it certainly won't hurt.

Is there anyone with some more definitive answers?

Edited by =FoReIgNeR=

The one you marked with the yellow circle should be the canopy "jettison". I am also not in front of my game PC right now...

I was talking about the two valves with the red tongues upon them, in the center of your pic.

The left one of these on the pic (so the more front one in the cockpit), with the red circular wired ring to pull beneath it, is the only one with a tool tip saying it is the landing gear one...

I'm 75% sure that there is an emergency pressurized air supply, and accompanying valve, somewhere in the aircraft which feeds the emergency gear and flap release =) If it's not this valve then it might be located somewhere else...

I'll have a look at this later when i get home, can't really test anything here at work

Edit: and no, I don't mean the red tongued valves

Edited by =FoReIgNeR=

The one you marked with the yellow circle should be the canopy "jettison".

That valve is the 'emergency tanks charging valve'. It is used to charge your emergency air tanks in case they are empty. Now I believe this is only used on the ground by the ground personel but looking at this picture you can see that it connects the main air tanks to the emergency air tanks so in theory you could use the pressure in your main air tanks to pressurize the emergency pneumatic system. I'm not sure tho that the main air supply has enough pressure to do this.

Canopy jettison is the red handle above the ejection handle which you push forward to jettison the canopy and then pull the ejection handle to eject.

The plane has two hydraulic systems which are 'utility hydraulic system'(gauge located between the emergency valves for you flaps and gear) and 'lateral control hydraulics system'(gauge located in front of your throttle). Utility hydraulic system is the one controlling your flaps, gear and air brakes. Now in case you lose your utility hydraulics you can extend your gear and flaps with the emergency pneumatic system(pressure gauges located in front of the emergency valves). Both your gear and flaps have separate air tanks.

Here are the steps to operate flaps/landing gear if your utility hydraulics fail. (Note that this is my way of doing this and these steps are made by my understanding how the system works.

1. Rotate the 'emergency control valves' for your flaps and gears fully open. This pressurizes the system.

2. Lower your flap and gear handles fully to the extended position.

3. Pull the 'emergency gear handles'. (I believe this releases the hydraulic locks connected to the extension cylinders.)

Notes:

- First check that your emergency pneumatic systems have pressure. If they don't, open the emergency tanks charging valve. If this doesn't work prepare for a belly landing. :joystick:

- Everything I said including the guide is based on what I have read from here and here.

Edited by Jansgi
  • Like 1

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz

I did some testing with with failed hydraulics and as I predicted with the gear, you can't raise the gear anymore after extending them. With the flaps I noticed that you can retract the flaps after extending them with the lever in the 'neutral' or 'retracted' position.

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz

• 2 weeks later...

Did it one time and it worked but it does take more time to extend fully.

Lower the gear and pull both wires & WAIT .... sigh

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 6 years later...