no news on other WW2 addons?

nick10

• ED Team
I was half-asleep when I wrote my previous two posts. Reviewing them in a more awake state, they're rather unnecessarily verbose. What I was trying to say was this:

A clickable 'pit technically isn't necessary to have a high-fidelity P.C. flight sim. It's clearly the best way to do it, but there are other ways of implementing full systems management. Full systems management is a requisite element of a high-fidelity flight sim; using mouse click to do it isn't. Nice, but not absolutely necessary. Good luck trying to do it all without mouse, though, if it's anything more complex than a Piper Cub.

(There. A lot shorter, that.)

I agree, I still feel a fully functioning cockpit, click-able switches, buttons and levers is more "sim" than without. I just feel so much more immersed when I have to look around the cockpit and click on what I need, the next will be a touch screen... short of building your own cockpit, its the better experience than everything being done from a controller or keyboard. Another things is that its out there now, going back would be a step backwards, imagine if the next plane from ED was released with everything the A-10 has now except click-able cockpit...

But as with most things, its personal preference, and in a dog fight in the P-51 I dont generally do much by mouse click. But in the long run immersion is an important part of simming for me, and a click-able cockpit is more immersive for me. No matter how good the new IL2 gets their FM, it still wont feel the same if I cant click on the controls in the cockpit.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we have keep in mind that they want to stay in business. And no company can stay in business depending on the few hard-core sim-fans, who are likely to buy the product anyway, even if it is not fully their "hardcore" style. To attract more consumers they have to compete with all kinds of entertainment products for the consumers spare-time. If the average consumer has only limited spare-time he will choose most likely the entertainment, which is easiest to access. But 777 and ED must get the consumer to spent their time on their product, to establish a relationship with their brand and to keep them buying their product, even though they might not necessarily need it. They cannot ignore entertainment products like World of Tanks, Warplanes of Thunder (or whatever it is called), even Mario Carts or SitComsTV to a certain degree...

They can´t stay in business selling their product only to some old simulation fans, who grew up, with simulations and now are getting old and caught by real-life demands, but always demanding more "realism, more immersion, more and more" for the same money, just because it seems technically possible. I think that`s why ED also shifted their attention back to games like FC3 and CA, which are easier accessible for the casual gamer, with thousands of things competing to entertain him. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Unsere Facebook-Seite

It's pretty frustrating . The old il2 brand has been teamed up with 777 studios to make a new ww2 combat sim. Cliffs of Dover has been abandoned. The new il2 team have made clear theirs wil be a lite combat is with no clickable cockpits. Back in the day I would have been into this but dcs p-51 has ruined me. I now need full switch and don't think I will be able to go backwards.

same here...just came back after holidays to read that their next project would even less realistic than CLOD while having the word "hardcoresim" in the same sentence:doh:

my hope was that they would go the different path, and try to get more realism and accurance into it....but anyway, now that i own the mustang and the a10, i cant even go back to CLOD....it just doesnt do it for me, when i know exactly that its not a sim but only an arcade first person shooter...

all my hope now is only, that DCS will continue to deliver planes with such accuracy and details like they did before...i will buy every single one as long as they are as realistic as the A10 or the mustang....

sure,.....coming from IL2, and beeing a member of a LW squad, i dream would come true if they would model a 109 or 190....i know about 50people personally who would click the buy button the second it would be available...

They don´t need 50 guys buying it, but more likely some 50.000 to break even and then they could think about how to get a few %s in return... and the % return is all that matters.

really?waoh!thats something new to me...i thought 50 would be enough..:doh::)

a 109 or 190 with such a grade of detail like the mustang would probably sell way more copies than 50 000...at least i think so.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

My money's still on a full-blown late-WW2 CFS module for DCS happening at some point. Just remember those B17 and Biffer screencaps and youtube appearances! But then I'm admittedly an incurable optimist ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I agree, I still feel a fully functioning cockpit, click-able switches, buttons and levers is more "sim" than without. I just feel so much more immersed when I have to look around the cockpit and click on what I need, the next will be a touch screen... short of building your own cockpit, its the better experience than everything being done from a controller or keyboard. Another things is that its out there now, going back would be a step backwards

Agreed with your entire post; I just wanted to make the distinction. Devil's advocate, you see ...

Edited by Echo38

• 5 years later...
I agree, I still feel a fully functioning cockpit, click-able switches, buttons and levers is more "sim" than without. I just feel so much more immersed when I have to look around the cockpit and click on what I need, the next will be a touch screen... short of building your own cockpit, its the better experience than everything being done from a controller or keyboard. Another things is that its out there now, going back would be a step backwards, imagine if the next plane from ED was released with everything the A-10 has now except click-able cockpit...

That's funny... from my understanding that's exactly what ED is going to do based on your comment that you posted a few days ago regarding the new FC modules. No?

[...Another things is that its out there now, going back would be a step backwards...]

I always said that. And I still believe that's the case, especially considering everything ED has achieved throughout the years. Although I understand the marketing reason behind it.

Not gonna lie, this is a very old post. But it's interesting to see the past and see how things are nowadays.

Edited by Vitormouraa

• ED Team
That's funny... from my understanding that's exactly what ED is going to do based on your comment that you posted a few days ago regarding the new FC modules. No?

I always said that. And I still believe that's the case, especially considering everything ED has achieved throughout the years. Although I understand the marketing reason behind it.

Not gonna lie, this is a very old post. But it's interesting to see at the past and see how things are nowadays.

Yet here we are with a flagship release of a F/A-18C Hornet, even in its current state, probably more rounded than anything we have ever seen in the simulation world.

As has been stated, the Flaming Cliffs line is a good entry level into the sim, having to pay attention to all corners of the community you find many people that are scared to get into DCS. Worried about the learning curve, the huge manual.

Now take FC4, the discussion is taking fully modeled aircraft and giving a lo-fidelity option. So no I dont see that way of doing this as a step backwards, I see it as broadening the user base. If ED were to switch to all FC aircraft, then sure. Even FC level aircraft, with PFM are still above and beyond anything else out there. Now they are going to give people a way to step in gently and then move up to high fidelity when they are ready if they so choose.

With WWII fighters, and any other aircraft that has limited information on it, either lost to history or locked away, I say bring it on. But what sets ED apart from all those others is they have the hi-fidelity options, the study aspect. Even the WWII birds adds a whole other level to learning, flying and fighting in those aircraft. So sure, I would accept a FC level aircraft, but not at the cost of fully modeled versions as well. I have called for a version of 'Flaming Cliffs of Dover' for a long time, you could probably necro-post that quote too, but probably doesnt serve the your purpose.

So I hope that answers your quotes of a 6 year old post.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
6 1/2 years and no other thoughts on this ?

the P40 does not interest me unless I am

reading about George Welsh, but the Corsair

F4U is a personal favorite. F4 Phantom too !

Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes, not much I can talk about but did you see the interview with Nick Grey? Talking about things like the Flying Legends Pack and the Mosquito as well?

64Sig.png

Yet here we are with a flagship release of a F/A-18C Hornet, even in its current state, probably more rounded than anything we have ever seen in the simulation world.

As has been stated, the Flaming Cliffs line is a good entry level into the sim, having to pay attention to all corners of the community you find many people that are scared to get into DCS. Worried about the learning curve, the huge manual.

Now take FC4, the discussion is taking fully modeled aircraft and giving a lo-fidelity option. So no I dont see that way of doing this as a step backwards, I see it as broadening the user base. If ED were to switch to all FC aircraft, then sure. Even FC level aircraft, with PFM are still above and beyond anything else out there. Now they are going to give people a way to step in gently and then move up to high fidelity when they are ready if they so choose.

With WWII fighters, and any other aircraft that has limited information on it, either lost to history or locked away, I say bring it on. But what sets ED apart from all those others is they have the hi-fidelity options, the study aspect. Even the WWII birds adds a whole other level to learning, flying and fighting in those aircraft. So sure, I would accept a FC level aircraft, but not at the cost of fully modeled versions as well. I have called for a version of 'Flaming Cliffs of Dover' for a long time, you could probably necro-post that quote too, but probably doesnt serve the your purpose.

So I hope that answers your quotes of a 6 year old post.

No no, actually your very old post got me thinking about that whole FC discussion. Quoted your post mainly because I would like to know what you were going to say.

It's a bit funny though... you were thinking about this possibility six years ago. Our opinions diverge on this. But I respect ED's decision and reasoning behind it. I know it's not for me. I got a bit afraid about it, and that's about it...

Keep in mind that when I said rip off, I didn't mean anything bad, but just a copy with a lower quality in terms of systems (That's what FC is about).

No reason to be mad at me tbh... (I still have a hard time trying to understand why you got so mad though).