Is it normal to burn the engines out ona fast run?

Ramstein

I went after some migs and ended up with the engines so badly damaged it would not longer fly after running them open for a while.... and lost so much power the aircraft would no longer stay up.... it was no more then say 15 minutes of hard running... with occasional backing off... also some climbing because of mountains... was about 15k to 20k feet.... :joystick:

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

There are indeed some quirks with the engines. I'm not sure about engine wear caused by permanent high power, because I usally try to keep the RPM needle within the green area as much as possible.

I expierence something different from time to time: When you move your throttle to fast from idle to full power it sometimes causes a loud bang and the engines die or get damaged. So yeah, there are definitely some quirks with the engines.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Early jet engines do have problems. Stick to the green zone, and you shouldn't encounter a meltdown. Run them outside safe operating limits, and you'll see failures.

Just nurse them a little, and they're fine. Push them beyond their limits and they'll fail. And yes, those limits do include surges caused by slamming the throttles against the firewall. Open them more carefully, and no surges.

Realistic? Who knows. But in the sim, that's what it is, like it or not.

These engines required very careful handling. There is no FADEC to prevent you burning up the engines.

What happens at altitude is they are slow-spooling. By slamming the throttle open you introduce a lot of fuel, but the turbine does not spool up fast enough, so you just end up with a huge fire in the combustion chamber that then burns out into other parts of the engine, and melts them.

You should slowly increase throttle at a rate that doesn't exceed the spool rate. It takes a bit of practice, but basically if you avoid just going to max power instantly, you will have a much better time with the engine.

You can run it hard, but be sure you're inside the limits for EGT. Just backing the throttle off slightly can greatly reduce the EGT while keeping very high power.

If you're just cruising around, keep it in the green, and reserve max power for maneuvering in a fight.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

The engine of the Sabre models a partial compressor stall.

When it happens, lower the throttle all the way until the temp drops into the green. Increase throttle slowly so the temp stays in the green.

You should be able to achieve full power again if you're patient enough.