Lighting problems in DCS 2.5

escaner

Tried night in the latest update last night in Nevada:

- TGP Works very, very well across all three types of imaging*

- Near field illumination is, I think, better. I didn't need NVGs to see on the ramp but no light actually falls on the jet and you do not cast a shadow.

- Distant illumination is maybe marginally better. I could see runway lights at maybe four miles instead of needing to be right on top of Nellis. I could see some lights from the Strip as I landed on 21L.

(* Provided you take the time to tweak Brightness, Contrast, Gain and Level)

I started with my Gamma at 1.8 and with no visible moon, and out over the ranges, it was blacker out than an ex-wife's heart. But I tried raising Gamma to 2.2 and could make out some terrain features.

Overall, I'd say it's an improvement, but not as good as it was in 2.1. The PG Map shading should bring a sea change when it gets reverse engineered into the current maps.

Oh, and the NVG Monicle is not behaving well. It took several rounds of keystrokes to get the level useable (kept going full dark to full bright without steps in between) and I had to settle for slightly too bright in use.

Edited by Emmy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Man this horse has been beaten to a pulp...Like others have said, this has been around since 2.2. It's clearly not a quick fix, however it is aggravating to see features like rain drops on the canopy, and vapor trails being worked on while basic cockpit lighting is non functional. Different teams working on different things? perhaps. Maybe an update on this issue from those working on it would help... Like maybe a "hey guys this is a coding nightmare, but we're hard working on it" type of deal.

It's hard.. I really try to have patience because I know people are hard at work trying to better this incredibly detailed sim, but for the first time I'm starting to wonder what the deal is...

End of the day... hope for a fix sooner rather than later.

Man this horse has been beaten to a pulp...Like others have said, this has been around since 2.2. It's clearly not a quick fix, however it is aggravating to see features like rain drops on the canopy, and vapor trails being worked on while basic cockpit lighting is non functional. Different teams working on different things? perhaps. Maybe an update on this issue from those working on it would help... Like maybe a "hey guys this is a coding nightmare, but we're hard working on it" type of deal.

It's hard.. I really try to have patience because I know people are hard at work trying to better this incredibly detailed sim, but for the first time I'm starting to wonder what the deal is...

End of the day... hope for a fix sooner rather than later.

Could not agree more....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I'm hoping this settles down soon and the two new 2.5 merge builds move more apart with bugs. It seems like the graphics DS is all tie together, like a very large rubik's cube, change the moonlighting to get it better on side 3, messes up side two where the FLIR settings are.:D It would be so much fun being a programmer right...They must really love playing with this latest sim tech and getting things right, must get very frustrating still.:cry:

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

... it is aggravating to see features like rain drops on the canopy, and vapor trails being worked on while basic cockpit lighting is non functional...

I agree. ED don't have their priorities right. Now we can even see individual leaves on trees - big deal! I couldn't care less. I want to be able to fly the airplanes I've bought without aggravating bugs that seem to stay on forever!

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I agree. ED don't have their priorities right. Now we can even see individual leaves on trees - big deal! I couldn't care less. I want to be able to fly the airplanes I've bought without aggravating bugs that seem to stay on forever!

FULLY AGREE ! :thumbup:

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Can/won't use 2.5 after update last week.

I can't see sh&t in my cockpit at night, can't even find the Emergency Flood Lights switch.

Love the 1.5 cockpit, all day and night.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

+1

PC: ASROCK Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel i7 8700K | GeForce 2080TI | 32GB GeSkill 3200 RAM | GeForce 2080TI | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO M.2

FLIGHT STUFF: Rift S | Warthog Base | Virpil Base | Hornet Grip | A-10 Grip | Cougar Grip | Virpil F-14 Grip | Cougar MFD's | A-10C UFC | Saitek Flight Panels | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

I really, don't understand why ED, dont fix this...its sad !

I feel that i have the right to say something like that.

Im proud (not quite sure till this point) owner (licensed, or whaterver you may say) of:

- DCS: Persian Gulf Map

- DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL by RAZBAM

- A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign

- A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

- DCS: F-5E Tiger II by Belsimtek

- A-10C The Enemy Within Campaign

- A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign

- A-10C 16-2 Red Flag Campaign

- DCS: L-39 Albatros

- M-2000C for DCS World by RAZBAM

- DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Map

- A-10A for DCS World

- DCS: C-101 Aviojet by AvioDev

- F-15C for DCS World

- Hawk T.1A for DCS World by VEAO Simulations

- F-15C for DCS World

- DCS: F-86F Sabre

- DCS: P-51D Mustang

- DCS: Combined Arms

- Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3

- DCS: A-10C Warthog

You guys made a lot of money with me, and please, dont get wrong...Im not angry at all !

But I feel that I have the right to say some words to you...

Fix this thing !

Punisher

Same problem here.. Too dark at night, even after I bump the gamma slider all the way to max-bright.. A large number of campaign missions are not playable (unless you like flying entirely by instruments).

Looking forward to a fix.

I think they dont fix it for the moment because it is not in the priority list, 2.5 is "freshly" out on the ED's scale. So i am sure that will be fixed sooner or later but at the moment F18 and Persian Gulf should go first and IN TIME since that will bring a lot of cash in to the bank and new users. Once that rush period passed they will try to improve the lighting system and fixing bugs everywhere.

Steam Index, i7 8700K, 32Gb, GTX 1070Ti, NVMe.

Hotas Warthog, Virpil, RX Vipers

Same problem here.. Too dark at night, even after I bump the gamma slider all the way to max-bright.. A large number of campaign missions are not playable (unless you like flying entirely by instruments).

Looking forward to a fix.

Gamma is not an adjustment meant to fix relative brightness.

Gamma is closer to being an adjustment for Contrast.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

I really, don't understand why ED, dont fix this...its sad !

I feel that i have the right to say something like that.

Im proud (not quite sure till this point) owner (licensed, or whaterver you may say) of:

- DCS: Persian Gulf Map

- DCS: AV-8B N/A VTOL by RAZBAM

- A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign

- A-10C Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification Campaign

- DCS: F-5E Tiger II by Belsimtek

- A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign

- A-10C 16-2 Red Flag Campaign

- DCS: L-39 Albatros

- M-2000C for DCS World by RAZBAM

- DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Map

- A-10A for DCS World

- DCS: C-101 Aviojet by AvioDev

- F-15C for DCS World

- Hawk T.1A for DCS World by VEAO Simulations

- F-15C for DCS World

- DCS: F-86F Sabre

- DCS: P-51D Mustang

- DCS: Combined Arms

- Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 3

- DCS: A-10C Warthog

You guys made a lot of money with me, and please, dont get wrong...Im not angry at all !

But I feel that I have the right to say some words to you...

Fix this thing !

I completely agree. :thumbup:

In my signature all the Stuff that I have bought...:cry:

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I'm anxious to see these problems fixed as well, but as a developer I find myself admiring ED more than anything else. DCS is not only the most complex sim code ever developed, it's one of the most complex applications period. Imagine the moving parts behind what you're seeing in the sim.. then multiple that by several orders of magnitude. Their priority is definitely not making money, else they would do something besides sims. Through the powers of logical deduction, we should be able to assume that there are complexities and development paths that we're not privy to.

Some of the comments in this thread might be seen as pretty shallow. Everyone has their own personal standards in how they conduct themselves and perceive the advantages they enjoy, but one word I'd personally hate to tag myself with is "entitled"... that's best avoided. I say this not with scorn or anger, but as a thoughtful friendly observation. If I had a booger on my nose, I'd want someone to tell me.

Edited by StrongHarm
I so rarely get to spell booger

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Beautiful sentiments!

And also there is a workaround.... fly with moonlight, it's completely different :)

I'm anxious to see these problems fixed as well, but as a developer I find myself admiring ED more than anything else. DCS is not only the most complex sim code ever developed, it's one of the most complex applications period. Imagine the moving parts behind what you're seeing in the sim.. then multiple that by several orders of magnitude. Their priority is definitely not making money, else they would do something besides sims. Through the powers of logical deduction, we should be able to assume that there are complexities and development paths that we're not privy to.

Some of the comments in this thread might be seen as pretty shallow. Everyone has their own personal standards in how they conduct themselves and perceive the advantages they enjoy, but one word I'd personally hate to tag myself with is "entitled"... that's best avoided. I say this not with scorn or anger, but as a thoughtful friendly observation. If I had a bugger on my nose, I'd want someone to tell me.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm sure ED more than anyone wants to get the 2.5 merger builds way more further apart in development. Merger 01-31-2018, So around 3 and a half months. I was also hoping that things would settle down and lock in sooner, but hay it's cutting edge software development.:cry:

0c16bbca96ab3188db6e6295792c3081.jpg?w=500

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Some of the comments in this thread might be seen as pretty shallow. Everyone has their own personal standards in how they conduct themselves and perceive the advantages they enjoy, but one word I'd personally hate to tag myself with is "entitled"... that's best avoided. I say this not with scorn or anger, but as a thoughtful friendly observation. If I had a booger on my nose, I'd want someone to tell me.

Excellent sentiments. I think most of us agree that the sim is perhaps so complex, it is impossible for anyone to really understand its intricacies any more and that is why apparently simple fixes usually break something else. Must be like trying to tape up a cardboard box full of tigers.

I think most also agree that the devs are among the very best in the business at what they do and that EDs goals are lofty indeed.

However, in the depths of disappointment, this knowledge can fall by the wayside temporarily and we may for a short time, become someone we are not. I am no exception.

Passengers wait in the airport lounge, the aircraft has a technical problem. The announcer tells them that the very best technician in the world is on his way to sort the aircraft and get them on their way.

The technician arrives and cannot fix the problem. What do the passengers think about him in that moment?

It's just human nature, not entitlement.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Regarding vapor trails and raindrops: I think the F-18 is the most important project for ED atm and they want to make that module as good as possible. That includes tweaking/enhancing EDGE especially for the F-18 and if other modules fall behind, they will be taken care of later.

One more reason for me as a player to fully concentrate on the F-18 (as does ED).

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Well I guess you could say it's a nice to have.. We can still enjoy all the night flying we want in 1.5, it just takes some effort to step away from all the eyecandy. Anyway perhaps these threads do have an impact to EDs priority list who knows. The oppositie would be weird too, if no one would be bothered about pointing to improvements I would be pretty upset as a developer that nobody cared about the details of my product. So, back in the waiting line!

To assume that the programmer(s) responsible for rendering (lighting) are the same as for those developing effects or tree textures is at best erroneous.

The same faces saying how DCS is "ruined", "unplayable" and they refuse to play - christ! What overreactive melodramatics.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

• 4 weeks later...

That was a night air-air refuelling in harrier in the good old time, when we were still able to deactivate defferred shadings:

Try to do the same now as it is no more possible to deactivate defferred shadings. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...