How do you program an Insertion Point in the mission editor?

Ender0656

I am tinkering around with JTAC and have it going off well almost every single time. I tried out the shooting gallery mission and found that the JTAC will actually read you back the IP way point and name (BANKS in this case) and I'd like to program that myself for my own missions. Is this possible or was it scripted in such a way that only ED could do it? I haven't found anything useful in the mission editor when I examined the Shooting Gallery mission. Any help would be appreciated.

Initial Points are inserted using an icon on the left bar under OBJ that looks like a circle with a broken horizontal line through it. You can get more information from the DCS User Manual page 206.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Initial Points are inserted using an icon on the left bar under OBJ that looks like a circle with a broken horizontal line through it. You can get more information from the DCS User Manual page 206.

That is amazing! Thank you! In a million years I never would have looked there. I was searching triggers and zones and basically everything but the bar on the left. Do you also happen to know the militarily appropriate distance from an IP to the target?

It's my understanding that it depends on threat vector, wind, terrain, previous sortie IPs, and clear view of the target. Really, between IP and target, you need to have as little threat as possible so you can concentrate on delivering your ordinance, and you need enough time to set up the drop. Me personally, I like my IP to be 10-15nm from drop at a 45-90deg angle from target. This way I can get a clean visual while not flying directly at the target (makes you a harder target). That's high alt. Low alt NOE I like my IP to be 5nm with good terrain mask. These are just personal preferences. I'm sure there's a bunch of people more knowledgeable on procedure that can give you better answers.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm