The Flying Coffin Project

=475FG= Dawger

A year ago I ordered Slaw Device rudder pedals and began the transition from 20 years of twisty stick to rudders. I bought a Warthog Stick and immediately knew it must be extended. After buying the longest extension possible, I knew immediately a desktop would not do. So the flying coffin project was born.

I used to play on a 55 inch TV so I needed a cockpit but it had to easily convert to something suitable for the general public to see. After completion of the Coffin, I have sinced switched to VR so the cockpit is even more versatile now that it is not constrained to a set position in the room. Truth be told it only gets closed up when we expect visitors even though it takes 3 minutes to go from flight to furniture mode.

I used USAF cockpit specifications to design the entire arrangement according to their specs. The rudder pedals are firmly bolted down so they were precisely placed to fit me, although an adjustable track would be easy to do for either the seat/stick assembly or the pedals.

I started with a seat pan

IMG_0173.jpg

The floor was built and stick mounting engineered.

IMG_0193.jpg

Box construction sequence

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Box Completed

IMG_0446.jpg

Early Trials

IMG_0447.jpg

Present Status

IMG_0674_1.jpg

IMG_0673_1.jpg

Stealth Mode

IMG_0452.jpg

• Like 2

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Beautiful craftmansship Sir. Looking awesome. I really enjoy watching these 'pack-away-pit' as there is so much thoughs gone into the design and it will allow for more people to have a pit as opposed to the big ones :thumbup:

Nice job Sir.

Cheers

Hans

Thank you for the kind words.

I am seriously considering reworking the left console where the throttle is placed.

The Warthog throttle is poorly designed (for multipurpose virtual flying) and the forward 5 switches are essentially unusable at high power settings. I am considering dropping the console so the top surface of the throttle base is level with the seat cushion and building a switch box to sit behind the throttle that will add another directx controller into the cockpit. I am working on planning the switches and rheostats necessary to accommodate the wide variety of aircraft( and titles) i fly in VR.

It seems a DIY directX box is fairly straightforward but any suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated. I understand electricity and electronics reasonably well but have not much experience building such things.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I´m starting my own project, similar to yours in the sense that is VR and multi aircraft focused. Appart from that, the quality is, let´s say, far more limited.

In any case, I can recommend to you the leo bodnar boards. They are not the cheapest, but I thing they are probably the simplest to setup, if what you want are only switches and rotaries (meaning, no displays, leds or motors). Specifically, the BU0836X does not need a diode matrix and you can insert the cables without soldering.

Regarding your console improvement, I think you have plenty of room to extend the surface to the front, so you can add the box without loosing the room for the already installed keypad. This extension could even go with an up inclination (is that correct in english?) to facilitate reaching those buttons.

I´m starting my own project, similar to yours in the sense that is VR and multi aircraft focused. Appart from that, the quality is, let´s say, far more limited.

In any case, I can recommend to you the leo bodnar boards. They are not the cheapest, but I thing they are probably the simplest to setup, if what you want are only switches and rotaries (meaning, no displays, leds or motors). Specifically, the BU0836X does not need a diode matrix and you can insert the cables without soldering.

Regarding your console improvement, I think you have plenty of room to extend the surface to the front, so you can add the box without loosing the room for the already installed keypad. This extension could even go with an up inclination (is that correct in english?) to facilitate reaching those buttons.

The Logitech G13 ( keypad behind the throttle) is likely going away. I find it difficult to use quickly in VR. Inclining a panel in front of the throttle is a great idea.

I am also considering a trackball. I have flown some real world aircraft with trackball installations and they are nice. Whatever I do needs to be easy to use blind.

I have a self-imposed 3 minute pack time to consider as well.

I will look into Bodnar boards.

If you need a furniture grade enclosure and don’t have the time/tools/inclination there are ways around that. Local trade schools may take on the project if you provide plans and materials. There may be a local woodworking club that may do the same just for the fun of a different project.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Get a damper on those Slaws my man!

Really cool pit, creative design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

If you need a furniture grade enclosure and don’t have the time/tools/inclination there are ways around that. Local trade schools may take on the project if you provide plans and materials. There may be a local woodworking club that may do the same just for the fun of a different project.

Sadly, in Spain we don´t have this kind of DIY culture. But the good news is that I don´t really need this concept as I´m a lucky person with my own space, my man´s cave.

Actually, my project will require woodworking but I expetct to be able to do it myself, time will tell!