Can't get Winter to look ... White !

I don't understand why I cannot make the ground White with Snow in the Winter !

I am using DCS World 1.5 OB.

I have created a mission with a few variations to test the Winter Phenomenon.

In fact I am trying to create a Sochi Winter Olympics scenario.

Those events started in Feb 2014. So I have set the game date for that same period.

Even at minus 20 degrees, the ground is only patchy with snow (way more grass than snow).

I have moved the date to January where surely even in Sochi the ground should be covered in snow at that time of year. December ... same BS.

What's up with this thing ?

Why can I not make the terrain look like WINTER ?

PS> I have NO MODS installed.

• Like 1

SnowTiger:joystick:

As it turns out, the average snowfall for the month of February is less than 3 inches.

snow%20in%20Sochi_zpshhdpewjg.png

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-precipitation-Rainfall-inches,sochi,Russia

EDIT: It also is not as cold as you might think so it might even rain instead of snow, on any given day in February.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thats the problem ... you do need a Mod to get real snow ... in my opinion, this is the best one, you should try it:

http://104thphoenix.com/mustang/

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

:poster_offtopic:

It would be better to post topics like this elsewhere like in the Mission Builders' Corner above. This topic is for posting completed missions and campaigns. :thumbup:

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Sorry Winston_60 I agree. I thought I was in the right forum ! oops my bad.

But while I'm here, I couldn't figure out how to install that mod today (the whole texture pack) using OvGME. I don't want to install via overwriting DCS System stuff and I don't like that "other" mod manager.

I just thought that we could make ANY terrain area snow-covered (in fact 4 seasons for all areas) ? I guess not. At least not if realistic data is considered.

Speaking of Data ... I can't imagine why they would hold Winter Olympics in a place with no snow.

I mean I couldn't even get the mountains covered !

Anyway, thanks. I guess I'll toss away yet another mission plot.

PS> I'm sure Sochi gets snow in December and January (regardless what they get in Feb). I just "assumed" that by selecting one of these months and lowering the temperature .. bit of wind here, ... some more wind there .. presto bango .. DCS Caucus would be Winter White Everywhere !

There are four texture seasons; spring, summer, fall, winter. You only can affect the precipitation with temperature (will switch between rain and snow.)

I personally recommend Barway's V6 for a snowy winter, though this may he the same as Mustang's. Either way, you just need to make sure the directory structure of your mod is identical to the one in DCS and you should be good to go.

Number one culprit of GME failures is a second folder called "Mustang's texture pack" or whatever it's called nested inside the first. Should be a single directory with the mod name, then inside of that the regular DCS directory structure (bazar, mods, etc.)

I have created a mission with a few variations to test the Winter Phenomenon.

In fact I am trying to create a Sochi Winter Olympics scenario.

Those events started in Feb 2014. So I have set the game date for that same period.

Even at minus 20 degrees, the ground is only patchy with snow (way more grass than snow).

I have moved the date to January where surely even in Sochi the ground should be covered in snow at that time of year. December ... same BS.

Is this what you're looking for?

That's exactly what I want.

I just couldn't figure out how to use my mod manager to get it to work.

Sometime ago I wrote a small Guide about OvGME ... perhaps it can help you:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182827

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks Rudel chw

In fact I have a weblink to that same guide on Tapatalk that you created.

https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/74365-eagle-dynamics-forums/182827-using-ovgme-to-apply-manage-mods

I just forgot where I put it until now.

I'll give it another once-over.

I was thinking there was a prob with the mod because it wasn't in Zip format (came as RAR and extracted to several folders, none of which I knew what to do with really !!).

Anyway Thanks for reminding me of that tutorial friend.

I'm sure that will get me back on track.

I was thinking there was a prob with the mod because it wasn't in Zip format (came as RAR and extracted to several folders, none of which I knew what to do with really !!).

Its not the Rar or Zip format the problem; rather, prior to uncompresing the RAR file, you need to first create a Folder inside your Mods Repository, to hold the Mod's files, for example mine is:

"DCS 1.5 - Ground Textures Extra Snowy v1.21 (by Mustang)"

Then put the RAR file inside the folder and uncompress it. Once uncompressed, delete the RAR file, as its no longer needed and takes up space.

Now, use OvGME to apply the Mod ... it should work.

On my Guide I suggest to use the Make Mod-Archive tool of OvGME, because that way the Mod's files are kept compressed, to save disk space; but storing them uncompressed works too :)

Greetings.

Edited by Rudel_chw