DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

Yep, 11 minutes of pure power... till the water runs out.

Hopefully we get to manage the Turbo as well, I'd love to see a fully detailed P-47 where you actually have to FLY the aircraft.

If you manage the turbo in real life, you manage it in DCS. Failing to do so will certainly result in realistic/catastrophic consequences :D

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Because this is an air cooled engine, I wonder if shock cooling will be implemented?

Actually, how on earth did Jug pilots do steep dives from 40,000 without shock cooling the engine? I guess they just closed the turbo lever and left the throttle at full?

Edit: The cowl flaps have a 220 mph limit for extension... seems like dogfighting will be pretty difficult without blowing the engine.

Edited by Pocket Sized

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Because this is an air cooled engine, I wonder if shock cooling will be implemented?

Actually, how on earth did Jug pilots do steep dives from 40,000 without shock cooling the engine? I guess they just closed the turbo lever and left the throttle at full?

Edit: The cowl flaps have a 220 mph limit for extension... seems like dogfighting will be pretty difficult without blowing the engine.

They did it in real life so I'm sure we'll manage.

I just wish they'd release some news on it. At least just an acknowledgment that they are working on it.

Yep, keeping some power on the engine is more than enough to avoid schock cooling, now for the 220 limit on the cowl flpas, 220 wind its more than enough to keep your engine cool, P47 is far more forgiving than you think. That big radial engines gets cooles quite easily (as long as you have airspeed)

I would be more worried about overspeed and elevator compresability before shock cooling the engine

A.K.A. Timon -117th- in game

I would be more worried about overspeed and elevator compresability before shock cooling the engine

Not sure it will be a big problem in the Jug. Bud Anderson talked about doing a dive at 700mph and it pulled out. Scared the hell out of him too.

This wasn't hearsay either. He said it in an interview.

Buzz

They did it in real life so I'm sure we'll manage.

I just wish they'd release some news on it. At least just an acknowledgment that they are working on it.

Just saying, we're talking about an engine hat had P&W engineers laughing about the acceptance criteria the USAAF mandated.

"Oh, you want a few minutes of water injected WEP? No problem, we took this engine off the assembly line and ran it at WEP for over a day!"

From what I've been able to gather, the highest boost achieved on an R-2800C test was 150", where it produced 3800 hp.

I really want the P-47 to receive 70" boost, which was essentially what the D-30 was running at for most of its service life. If I don't have my timeline confused, the lowest possible maximum permissible boost was 65".

Dont know if posted, but this Thunderbolt documentary, is on Netflix (Denmark at least), and not in 360p, like this YT version.

On Netflix its simply just called: Thunderbolt

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Just saying, we're talking about an engine hat had P&W engineers laughing about the acceptance criteria the USAAF mandated.

"Oh, you want a few minutes of water injected WEP? No problem, we took this engine off the assembly line and ran it at WEP for over a day!"

From what I've been able to gather, the highest boost achieved on an R-2800C test was 150", where it produced 3800 hp.

I really want the P-47 to receive 70" boost, which was essentially what the D-30 was running at for most of its service life. If I don't have my timeline confused, the lowest possible maximum permissible boost was 65".

Yeah, the R-2800 is a monster of an engine. I'm hoping for 70" as well, every bit helps.

Dont know if posted, but this Thunderbolt documentary, is on Netflix (Denmark at least), and not in 360p, like this YT version.

On Netflix its simply just called: Thunderbolt

LOL thanks for the tip. We got it here in Germany :P

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Dunno if it has been brought up in this monster of a thread, but something I would really to see for the DCS P-47, was custom Nose art. Its own 'little' texture/decal that we could replace.

So much cool nose art on the P-47's back in WWII.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

That's actually a pretty nice idea, although I'd even take it a step further. ED already does some aircraft skins from specific aircraft with fixed BORT's and nose art, but also some with BORT's to be taken from the ME.

It would be a boon for us artistically challenged if you could not only apply nose art like a decal, but also pilot name and kill or mission trophies (swastikas, or "Balkenkreuz" insignia) like decals. At least name and kill indicators could easily be made as mono-color decals by nearly anybody, to be applied to their aircraft. It might even be possible to add them to the pilot's profile, so that any aircraft of the correct nationality would automatically have them applied. That would be awesome.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

That's actually a pretty nice idea, although I'd even take it a step further. ED already does some aircraft skins from specific aircraft with fixed BORT's and nose art, but also some with BORT's to be taken from the ME.

It would be a boon for us artistically challenged if you could not only apply nose art like a decal, but also pilot name and kill or mission trophies (swastikas, or "Balkenkreuz" insignia) like decals. At least name and kill indicators could easily be made as mono-color decals by nearly anybody, to be applied to their aircraft. It might even be possible to add them to the pilot's profile, so that any aircraft of the correct nationality would automatically have them applied. That would be awesome.

Well, if I may interject here...

I've been working my skills actually on that, noseart with texturing.

Not really trying to ruin anyone game but I hope nobody minds me posting some examples, yes?

I mean if ED can't or will not provide that option I'll always be up to the test.

I'll spoiler the images for those who don't care :)

This I did for the forgotten Combat Helo MossieFinal+-+All+Weapons+Combat+Ready.jpg

This was for my ARMA 2 Tank batallion patch

Fagiano-carrista.jpg

This is for a friend's skin in DCS bff__complete_by_komemiute-daahqpy.jpg

Same for this- for a Huey called "Bad Moon"

bad_moon_rising_by_komemiute-d99aijx.jpg

This is a new project...

almost_final_by_komemiute-db8gntv.jpg

This was for Flyboy's Website

comanche___still_packs_a_punch____by_komemiute-d6ahm6n.jpg

And a new W.I.P.

black_cat005_by_komemiute-db8godk.png?2

I can also provide screenshots in game, if interested. :)

Edited by komemiute

• ED Team

Those are your original art?? Those are awesome... what do you charge, I need a a darksider pinup :)

FYI, I have submitted a feature request for noseart option in DCS, what becomes of it I dont know, but I am hopeful we get an option one day.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Those are your original art?? Those are awesome... what do you charge, I need a a darksider pinup :)

FYI, I have submitted a feature request for noseart option in DCS, what becomes of it I dont know, but I am hopeful we get an option one day.

Yup, all created originally by me. :)

For that sorta talk we can go PM, if you don't mind... :P

That will be a interesting "feature" :thumbup:

Well I'm sure DCS's intentions of the P-47 are to advertise it as a ground attack aircraft :/. Which is fair since in late 1944 only 4 fighter groups were flying the P-47 while 2 were already in transitioning to the P-51. They also renamed the the DCS WW2 forum to 1944-1945 for obvious reasons. In 1945 only the 56FG were flying P-47s. So really only one FG from the 8th air force was using P-47 with 150 octane. So I highly doubt the P-47 will be rated for 70"Hg(2800hp). 64-65"Hg is more realistic for this era anyways.

Yeah without a doubt the P-47 was the best overclocker of the war. Unfortunately this can't be simulated for obvious reasons. But what would be fair is not having your engine die just because you spent an extra 10 seconds over the mandated time limits.

64"Hg is definitely confirmed

Well I'm sure DCS's intentions of the P-47 are to advertise it as a ground attack aircraft :/. Which is fair since in late 1944 only 4 fighter groups were flying the P-47 while 2 were already in transitioning to the P-51. They also renamed the the DCS WW2 forum to 1944-1945 for obvious reasons. In 1945 only the 56FG were flying P-47s. So really only one FG from the 8th air force was using P-47 with 150 octane. So I highly doubt the P-47 will be rated for 70"Hg(2800hp). 64-65"Hg is more realistic for this era anyways.

Yeah without a doubt the P-47 was the best overclocker of the war. Unfortunately this can't be simulated for obvious reasons. But what would be fair is not having your engine die just because you spent an extra 10 seconds over the mandated time limits.

The P-47D was cleared for 70" in June 1944: http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/24june44-progress-report.pdf

Also, that performance increase was mostly useful at low altitude as at high alt, the turbo's RPM limit essentially capped maximum attainable boost.

I found a great Thesis online that some may like to read here and has some good research and Comparisons, such as Maneuvering Performance Comparison of the P-47C Thunderbolt vs ME 109 Gustav Altitude 25,000 feet etc.

It's based against the 109 G models tho.

Interesting that a P-47 had the most air-to-air victories than any other unit in Europe. So she's not just a ground attack now, I'm keen to do some boom and zooms on the 109s.

"In many cases, particularly late in the war, the German fighter pilot under attack would perform a split-S maneuver to dive away from combat, a maneuver that worked very well against opposing fighters early in the war. Such an action against a Thunderbolt, however, would be a deadly choice because the P-47, being very heavy and powered by a 2,000 horsepower engine could out-dive any other fighter in the sky.

Fighter Group 56, which flew the P-47 throughout the war and achieved more air-to-air victories than any other unit in Europe, was particularly adept at this strategy. The top scoring ace in the European Theater, Col. Frances Gabreski of the 56th, brought down 28 German aircraft with his Thunderbolt."

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-07022008-013657/unrestricted/courter_thesis.pdf

P-47vs109.jpg.7d878c673378976349cd7b40c7a20ff5.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I'd be interested in which type of 109G it was. If that's versus a late G-6/14 with 1.7 ATA, a 2800 hp Thunderbolt would have a much larger speed range in which its energy maneuverability graph lets it sustain maneuvers against it.

Then again, I'm reasonably sure this is against a 109 running 1.42 ATA.