Afterburner problem

Hi guys, I have noticed that my afterburner effect for mig 21 and viggen are not looking correctly BUT, as I see some people upload pictures with them working ok, Im not sure if this is a bug so I decided to post it here. This is how it looks to me:

1485787100-dcs-2017-01-30-15-35-46-08.jpg

1485787098-dcs-2017-01-30-15-35-54-48.jpg

I dont own any of those modules but I dont think you should buy it to get it working textures right??

Also, I already repaired the game twice with no success...whats going on??

Thanks!!

Take a look at my MODS here

Seriously??:huh:...wow, didnt expected that...so I have to purchase the module in order to get correctly working AB??...ok, all clear then, thanks buddys!!

AFAIK, the reason for this is not to put nice after burner effects behind a paywall, but instead probably due to performance. If you have a lot of AI aircraft arround, the better looking afterburner flame is probably not worth the increased graphics demand.

These "special effects" are only visible on the player controlled aircraft.

Isn't this the same for wingtip vortices? Or do AI controlled aircraft also have those?

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

The AI aircraft use the default afterburner.

The reason is because to implement a custom, new afterburner like we do for the MiG-21 and AJS-37, we have to run a lot of custom code (flickering, scale, etc etc.)

We can't run this code on AI aircraft. AI aircraft are dictated by the code that runs all AI aircraft in DCS; and thus, our custom afterburner does not work.

That is why only the default one that is on all other aircraft will show.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• 2 weeks later...
Manyt thanks for your reply Cobra :thumbup: ...I understand what you said...anyway, it would be nice if 3 parties or ED could find a way to implement/fix all the AB, otherwise, 3 party AB looks incorrectly (no AB fx at all) which should not be considered as aceptable imho :thumbup:

There are afterburner effects, just not the ones you get on the player aircraft. If they are missing on your computer than there is something wrong in your dcs install, but it looks like they are there from your screenshots.

They are just much fainter than what you're looking for. Like Cobra said, they are the same fx on all the ai aircraft. I made a screenshot comparing the fx at night on an ai ajs-37 (i don't own the viggen yet) and the ai f-16. When i was writing this post i thought about it and went ahead and added an ai mig-21, which is an aircraft i do own and is activated.

LR6p1h3.png

PYcr0Pr.png

As you can see, they are all the same effect and none of them are the fancy looking stuff you see in screenshots of player craft.

I don't think changing this is high priority for any of the devs right now. It might be an awful lot of work for something that isn't broken, but who knows.

Edited by MethWolf

• 3 weeks later...