New os install, campaign save?

mastersetter

Hi all, im going to change os to windows 10 on my new machine, just wondering what files I need to save in dcs? Im on mission 9 of the basic training campaign and would like to save my progress and log book.

Thanks for any help.

MT

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I would also suggest doing a Save Profile for each of your controller profiles, for each aircraft, and backing them up as well. Your USB ID's will change so having controller profiles that you can import will be quite handy.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks I will make sure those are saved. Also, do I need to de-activate the a10c module? I take it that the dlc's are saved to your profile, and when you log back in, they will download and setup as usual?

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

Also, do I need to de-activate the a10c module?

I'm aware that most people will tell you that it isnt necessary ... however it could be needed. The copy protection system that DCS uses uses a cumulative point system to determine if there has been enough change on the computer to need a new activation.

Changing just the OS is 3 points of change, which in itself is not enough to trigger the activation ... you need to accumulate over 12 points for that.

However, if since the last time you activated the A-10 module your PC has suffered other changes, then the accumulated point total could exceed 12 ... for example if you changed the hard disk, its 3 more points; if you changed the computer name, thats 3 more; if you added more RAM thats 6 more points ... so in this case, the OS reinstall could be the straw that triggers the activation.

My own preference is that it's more trouble for me to keep track of the computer changes, than simply deactivate my DLCs prior to any computer change and then reactivate them afterwards ... so my advice to you would be to do the deactivate :)

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

My own preference is that it's more trouble for me to keep track of the computer changes, than simply deactivate my DLCs prior to any computer change and then reactivate them afterwards ... so my advice to you would be to do the deactivate :)

The downside of doing that is that you are using a deactivation, possibly unnecessarily, which does not replenish. When your deactivations run out, they are gone forever.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The downside of doing that is that you are using a deactivation, possibly unnecessarily, which does not replenish. When your deactivations run out, they are gone forever.

Are you sure? I would have run out of deactivations a long time ago ... from the DCS Activation Guide I quote:

"Each game license (disk) has 10 activations and 10 deactivations. You can activate your game up to 10 times. The number of installations is unlimited! "

How would the installs be unlimited if you could only deactivate 10 times?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Are you sure? I would have run out of deactivations a long time ago ... from the DCS Activation Guide I quote:

"Each game license (disk) has 10 activations and 10 deactivations. You can activate your game up to 10 times. The number of installations is unlimited! "

How would the installs be unlimited if you could only deactivate 10 times?

Installations are unlimited because each installation does not require a new activation. At one time, I had close to ten installations at the same time. They all used the same activation.

From the paragraph below what you quoted. Note that it does not mention replenishment of deactivations.

This game also allows Activations Automatically (“AAA”) technology that enables you to create a new activation once every 31 days. This ensures that you can still play the game, even if Eagle Dynamics no longer exists someday. This function is enabled after all 10 default activations have been used.

Edited by cichlidfan

From the paragraph below what you quoted. Note that it does not mention replenishment of deactivations.

I see ... I wonder why I have been able to deactivate/reactivate so many times without hitting a deactivation limit ... such limit would have been easy to reach in the case of Campaigns, which only have 3 activation/deactivations

If I search this Forum, I cant find a single case of someone having too many deactivations ... what I see is that many people dont deactivate and so start using up their activations until they have no more ... point where the automatic monthly replenishement begin.

I also read the FAQ and nowhere I see a caution against doing too many deactivations:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/564/