AA -AG ?

BuzzU

As the F/A-18 progresses and we're at a point to get campaigns. Will it lean to AA or AG in missions or will it be equal?

I would think it would lean more to AG as it really is essentially a strike aircraft.

However that's the beauty of having a simulation we can play with those parameters and come up with what we like.

At the end of the day we are going to have a balance and as it matures out of EA to Beta by then we will have community campaigns that address all the areas of combat employment I am sure.

"You don't win wars by killing the enemy one at a time at 30,000', you win by killing them by the thousands."

You'll likely see a healthy mix of both on a full scale campaign, the hornet is capable of doing both and assumed the role of primary AA fighter (alongside the rhino) when the tomcat left. The beauty of it is fight your way in, fight your way out, as seen in The Gulf War.

On 17 January, the first day of the war, U.S. Navy pilots Lieutenant Commander Mark I. Fox and his wingman, Lieutenant Nick Mongilio were sent from USS Saratoga in the Red Sea to bomb an airfield in southwestern Iraq. While en route, they were warned by an E-2C of approaching MiG-21 aircraft. The Hornets shot down the two MiGs with AIM-7 and AIM-9 missiles in a brief dogfight. The F/A-18s, each carrying four 2,000 lb (910 kg) bombs, then resumed their bombing run before returning to Saratoga

While its primary job while the tomcat was in service was attack, it's a very capable fighter. In a large scale war you'd likely see a lot of AA missions in the beginning, then gradually shift to AG as air superiority is gained.

"You don't win wars by killing the enemy one at a time at 30,000', you win by killing them by the thousands."

Occasionally whacking that "one" (strike fighter or fighter bomber) saves dozens or... hundreds:noexpression:

Even a pure fighter might be HAVCAP for... you get the picture. It's all connected.

As the F/A-18 progresses and we're at a point to get campaigns. Will it lean to AA or AG in missions or will it be equal?

Which would you prefer? It's your game...

Out where JP5 smells funny it's 99% strike, because there just isn't much to shoot at up there. Once in a while someone gets froggy, but most of the time the airspace is uncontested.

Still...the -18 has a "nuke" button tucked away by the pilot's left elbow. How unfair is it that the rooskies (you have to say that with a Slim Pickens accent to get the right effect) have nukes and we don't?

Since you asked. I always prefer to fight in AA. I just can't get into ground attacks. Otherwise, i'd have got more involved with the A-10C. I keep messing with the Hog but just can't commit to it.

I'm a fighter by choice. I have been since my dad taught me to box as a youngster.

I know wars are won on the ground but that doesn't change who I am. Someone needs to protect the attack planes and i'm volunteering.

Buzz

Since you asked. I always prefer to fight in AA. I just can't get into ground attacks. Otherwise, i'd have got more involved with the A-10C. I keep messing with the Hog but just can't commit to it.

I'm a fighter by choice. I have been since my dad taught me to box as a youngster.

I know wars are won on the ground but that doesn't change who I am. Someone needs to protect the attack planes and i'm volunteering.

Versatility of both Mission Types. and even able to self defend in A/G strike config, and not feeling helpless is why i see myself getting more and more involved the Hornet than the A10.

I think you would like A/G in the F/A18 more than the A10 because of the speed you have at your disposal

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD