OB updates and MP

Notso

So how does the OB update thing work with MP servers? I had just allowed an update to install the night before I wanted to try out some MP servers for the first time. A buddy that did not update OB could see a bunch of servers but I couldn't get into the ones he sent me the IP address for. I assume this is because of the OB version I had and the servers hadn't also updated yet, correct? I did see a few servers in the list, like the Hoggit training server and a few others. But my friend was seeing a big list of servers on his side.

So assuming that was the cause of my issue...... what is the normal protocol for updating OB versions? Do servers put out messages or posts somewhere to let you know which version of DCS they are running?

Sorry for the noob question.... I'm still new to this MP stuff. TIA.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

You usually have to be on the same version to fly on a MP server, OB or not (it happened a few times that the patch was minor enough to let you fly on a server with a slightly different version, but it is not the rule).

Usually, MP servers running OB are all updating very quickly. After one or two days, all servers are usually up to date. But it is possible, during the first few hours after you ran the update, that you see very little number of servers on the Multiplayer list. This is kind of the only way to know that the server you are looking for is up to date: it shows on the MP list.

You usually have to be on the same version to fly on a MP server, OB or not (it happened a few times that the patch was minor enough to let you fly on a server with a slightly different version, but it is not the rule).

Usually, MP servers running OB are all updating very quickly. After one or two days, all servers are usually up to date. But it is possible, during the first few hours after you ran the update, that you see very little number of servers on the Multiplayer list. This is kind of the only way to know that the server you are looking for is up to date: it shows on the MP list.

Thanks, that's exactly what happened then.

Edited by Notso

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Thanks, that's exactly what happened then.

Uhm, when did that happen? Yesterday? Because then that's not the issue as the current OB version is several weeks old and all OB servers are updated for quite a while now. It especially doesn't make any sense as OB and Stable are currently identical, so there should be no difference in regards to server numbers between OB and Stable currently.

Make sure the version number in the main menu of DCS says 2.5.6.52437.

You can always check the current versions for both OB and Stable here: https://updates.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg