SAM interception by Destroyers or Frigates possible?

Badlego

Hello,

are the OHP or Ticonteroga class ships able to intercept SAM missiles? so far i only could intercept a S300 missile when i was actively controlling the SM-like SAM system of a type 052 ship.

I was not able to get the ship into a state to intercept enemy SAM missiles by itself: not with waypoint states in the ME or by asigning the SAM misslies as targets....

I think a OHP should be able to intercept big SAM missiles (AEGIS system plus SM-2 missiles are very powerfull atm...), or am i wrong?

OHP isn't AEGIS equipped and I don't think SAMs are valid targets, but I could be mistaken.

However, what I would like to see are ships defending themselves from bombs, as long as they can pick them up on RADAR, they should be able to engage them with air defences.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

You are right about the OHP, but the ticonderoga is aegis equiped and still does nothing...

My problem is that i can assign a s300 missile as a target on the f10 map, but the ticonderoga is not intercepting and i need help

Well, although probably possible... I can see why it is not doing it. It is not a threat to the ship, why would it be. That's probably the reason, why they are not engaging.

You can set the S-300 as a target and let the ship cruise missiles it to death

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

It is definitely possible, just not in-game. IRL a bunch of missile tests are against the same missile - ie. if you dig you'll see that Patriots are tested against other Patriots simulating a ballistic weapon etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Aegis is a ballistic missile defense system, and thus SAMs are unlikely to be a valid target set

heres some info, i havent taken time to digest it to see how much is useful, or if i have to look elsewhere. i have some diagrams with my GBAD stuff, but nothing too detailed

https://mostlymissiledefense.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2008-5-aegisbmd-statusintergrationandinteroperability.pdf

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

It seems to be an AI logic issue: The ships (OHB and Tecon) radars are able to detect SAM missiles, but they may not see it as a threat, even when i assign them as targets. The chinese ship is controlable in first person and i can lock and engage SAM missiles manually with it, but if i assign a SAM missile as a target in F10 view, the chinese ship also does nothing.....

Unfortunately i cannot try a manual engagement in first person of the US ships, as they are not controlable (please ED!!!!) but the example of the chinese ship shows, that DCS provides everything necessary for ships to intercept SAM missiles except an entry in the AI logic to do it....

May scripts help here? and if yes, how? Would a ship intercept the missile if it is somehow (script?) grouped with an airplane that is attacked by that SAM?

Aegis is a ballistic missile defense system, and thus SAMs are unlikely to be a valid target set

heres some info, i havent taken time to digest it to see how much is useful, or if i have to look elsewhere. i have some diagrams with my GBAD stuff, but nothing too detailed

https://mostlymissiledefense.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/2008-5-aegisbmd-statusintergrationandinteroperability.pdf

AEGIS is an AREA defense system and was used to defend vs ABTs and AShMs long before it was used to defend vs TBMs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Just watched Nimitz Encounter on youtube (its about UFO things). I got an impression that AEGIS system is so powerfull from the story of one of guys who responsible handling the system. It could detect fast moving or stationary small alien drone tic toc while other platform sensors (E-2C or Super Hornet radar) saw nothing. SAM missile shouldnt be a problem for the AEGIS I believe.

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

AEGIS is an AREA defense system and was used to defend vs ABTs and AShMs long before it was used to defend vs TBMs.

True, but neither of those are SAMs

One is a slow moving target.

The other is a surface-to-surface missile.

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

It doesn't matter whether they're SAMs or not. What they're targeted AT play no role in the system's ability to engage them, and what do you mean 'one is a slow moving target'?

Aircraft can easily come in at M1.5+, and AShMs are often supersonic as well - they likely present a more difficult target than a SAM in the sense of electronic clutter.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It doesn't matter whether they're SAMs or not. What they're targeted AT play no role in the system's ability to engage them, and what do you mean 'one is a slow moving target'?

Aircraft can easily come in at M1.5+, and AShMs are often supersonic as well - they likely present a more difficult target than a SAM in the sense of electronic clutter.

Actually, it does. Type of target, trajectory, and speed are all considerations, and in the air defense world, ABTs are slow-movers

Additionally, what the target is threatening also affects a system's ability to engage (this is different from a missiles ability)

System:

I'm aware of Aegis capabilities but I look at missiles themselves purpose designed to intercept other missiles, like the Kashtan VLM system and these are remarkably agile little hunters, not unlike an aerial dogfighting missile, compared to the Standard which is like a scaled down V2 vintage wtf with an avionics update...and I have to wonder, arms trade American sales pitch aside is it a bit like an elephant trying to catch a domestic cat?

and if you're going to reply like American missiles can do everything better than everyone I'll have to point out that, of course India invented civilisation and Chinese people are descended from a completely unique branch of hominid, I've heard these sorts of things all before. I can see with my eyes the Standard is not like a Kashtan.

Edited by vanir