New StreamDeck Plugin

ctytler's plugin provides widgets that allow for a bi-directional communication with DCS.

Another component of a quality streamdeck profile is icons. For that purpose, I use the excellent project Togg-streamdeck.

Togg's project can also be used without bi-directional DCS integration. The provided with keyboard .lua's that would allow to use it as is. However, I prefer to customize my key commands it and only use the icons from that project.

Ctytler also provides a sample streamdeck profile with DCS integration and Togg's icons for A-10 so you can use that as a reference as to what a finished product supposed to look like.

Those tips come handy Andy! I hope I ll find useful profiles for my beloved and Mig 19 and 21. At least sth to build on. However, guess it‘s hard to tell whether a profile is good until you tried it yourself

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

The ExportScripts lack the Mig19. Mig15 and Mig21 are available. Any idea where to get an export script for the Mig19 and how to add to the ExportScripts library?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question on the Spitfire if anybody can explain

I was messing about trying to get a button that would toggle the gun safety on the stick on/off

It's a simple 1/0 TUMB so it sends a 1 then a -1 making the state 1 or 0.

No matter what I tired with a toggle switch I could not get it to work. I could get it to change state to either Safe or Armed but not both.

I got around this by using a rotary switch where it cycles by 1 each time with a max & min range of 1 and 0.

However I'm still baffled why a toggle switch won't work, can anybody shed any light on why after all a rotary going between 1 and 0 is AFAIK just acting the same as a toggle switch

However I'm still baffled why a toggle switch won't work, can anybody shed any light on why after all a rotary going between 1 and 0 is AFAIK just acting the same as a toggle switch

The final output to the game is the same for a switch or rotary the only difference is the sequence of commands and resulting state of the stream deck button. With a switch you’ll want to make sure that the Send 1st->2nd state = 1, and Send 2nd->1st state = 0 (I believe it defaults to -1).

Another point about switches is they don’t switch button state (determining what they’ll send on next press) based on user-presses, but according to the sim state configured in the image change settings. So if the command settings are correct but it’s not getting feedback from the game that the cockpit switch has changed, then the stream deck button will stay in the off state and keep sending (1) on each press. You can use the DCS Comms window in the plugin to help debug an issue like this. Identify the ID number of the switch status being monitored and try switching it on and off in game and refreshing to see if the value is changing in the uplink.

Hey ctytler!

Do you accept feature requests? :D

I’d love an easy way to declare unit conversion within the plugin.

For example course to degrees and strange airspeed numbers to mph or km/h

Yes I do, you can create an issue ticket in the GitHub repo and add a label of feature request.

You may also want to try doing that modification in the module export script itself. There should be other examples where values are manipulated for example to combine individual digits into a single number, you could do the same thing and add a new ID with converted values. Take a look at the AV8BNA.lua file and one example is combining 4 digits sent as different IDs for the fuel gauge into one string sent as ID 2011 on line 656.

The final output to the game is the same for a switch or rotary the only difference is the sequence of commands and resulting state of the stream deck button. With a switch you’ll want to make sure that the Send 1st->2nd state = 1, and Send 2nd->1st state = 0 (I believe it defaults to -1).

Another point about switches is they don’t switch button state (determining what they’ll send on next press) based on user-presses, but according to the sim state configured in the image change settings. So if the command settings are correct but it’s not getting feedback from the game that the cockpit switch has changed, then the stream deck button will stay in the off state and keep sending (1) on each press. You can use the DCS Comms window in the plugin to help debug an issue like this. Identify the ID number of the switch status being monitored and try switching it on and off in game and refreshing to see if the value is changing in the uplink.

Thanks Ctyler

I'll look into it a bit more, fantastic plug in thank you so much, that was the problem the Gun Safety wasn't monitored, it is now in my export.lua

Now I'm struggling with the P-47 trying to switch the prop pitch from manual to auto, I think it's a similar sorta thing but even the rotary won't work, but thanks for that explanation it will help me troubleshoot that too.

Of course I'm using an export kindly shared by another member on here, but there is something well wierd about that 4 way switch and the way it behaves. EDIT found the problem there too, the P-47 Export file is reporting 0.0 no matter the state of the switch. This is clearly amiss as setting up a button and sending a 0.3 value moves the switch but the export back is stating 0.0

Just have to wait for an official P-47 export file I guess

Thanks that helped enormously

Edited by Weegie
Further information

Yes I do, you can create an issue ticket in the GitHub repo and add a label of feature request.

You may also want to try doing that modification in the module export script itself. There should be other examples where values are manipulated for example to combine individual digits into a single number, you could do the same thing and add a new ID with converted values. Take a look at the AV8BNA.lua file and one example is combining 4 digits sent as different IDs for the fuel gauge into one string sent as ID 2011 on line 656.

Thank you ctytler! Will do! I saw some mods that do this for the P51. Guess it was this thread plus YT videos. Looked a bit cumbersome to do it in the export luas with several lines - needed for every plane and every funtion. So I thought it may be a nice core feature (together with multi-state Buttons :D)

Thank you again for your unbelievable plugin!

Hey folks. So, I've created an F/A18 profile, but I'm noticing that sometimes the switches will flick back and forth a few times upon press. It will always end up on the correct representation of the switch in-sim, but it is a bit odd. Any thoughts?

EDIT: BTW -- thanks Slaintemainth for your link and profiles. While my profile is custom, I *did* just lift your UFC and Radios folders, as well as a few other buttons...

Edited by sbmasonator

quick question:

what determines what lua the script is using? By Filename? By tag inside the luad? Looks like the custom P47 lua has a different name but doesnt need to be renamed.

Hey folks. So, I've created an F/A18 profile, but I'm noticing that sometimes the switches will flick back and forth a few times upon press. It will always end up on the correct representation of the switch in-sim, but it is a bit odd. Any thoughts?

My profiles do that to, I can't be 100% but put it down to the scan time and latency, depending on what interval you've set to request DCS to export and scan the state of the devices.

If it's set low, I'm scanning at twice/sec this means that when you flip a switch if the export has not been scanned it'll be at the previous setting so the switch (or whatever device) will be in the old position, so the Streamdeck animation will move the device to that position. Once the export has been sent to Streamdeck and then been processed (which will also be a short interval) then the device will move to the correct setting

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I spent last evening puzzling myself over a new DCS crash, related to lua exports and the Streamdeck plugin.

Has anyone experienced an immediate hang of DCS (I had to kill it each time) when selecting the TGP on an MFD in the F-16CM ?

It's happening everytime.

And if I disable my exports, it stops crashing.

I isolated the problem to the F16 export itself (if I remove the F-16C_50.lua file, it does not crash).

Here's my file.

F-16C_50.lua

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

I spent last evening puzzling myself over a new DCS crash, related to lua exports and the Streamdeck plugin.

Has anyone experienced an immediate hang of DCS (I had to kill it each time) when selecting the TGP on an MFD in the F-16CM ?

It's happening everytime.

And if I disable my exports, it stops crashing.

I isolated the problem to the F16 export itself (if I remove the F-16C_50.lua file, it does not crash).

Here's my file.

Can´t somebody help :cry:

Well I forgot to tell but I managed to solve my problem.

The export script I had for the F-16C was in fact using F/A-18C code in one of the methods.

I don't remember where I found this script.

So, I removed the culprit (and useless) code and voilà ! Problem solved.

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Well I forgot to tell but I managed to solve my problem.

The export script I had for the F-16C was in fact using F/A-18C code in one of the methods.

I don't remember where I found this script.

So, I removed the culprit (and useless) code and voilà ! Problem solved.

Hey sounds cool, but what the f*** is cultrip :helpsmilie: or better, where can i find it?

Edited by Burner31

Here's the commit in my fork.

Hi all,

I have been using the Streamdeck plugin for some time now and love it!

After successfully creating the UFC for the A-10C, I started to build "pages" for the three radios VHF AM, VHF FM and UHF. While doing that, I ran into a problem and I hope someone can help me with this.

Let's use the VHF FM Radio for example.

I use a "Momentary Button/Display (Text)" to display the current frequency and that works well. Then, I setup 4 "Incremental Input (Rotary)" for the frequency selectors with the respective DCS ID's 153, 154, 155 and 156

[153] = "%0.2f",   -- PTR-ANARC186-VHFFM-FREQ-1 (Frequency Selector the 1nd)
[154] = "%0.2f",   -- PTR-ANARC186-VHFFM-FREQ-2 (Frequency Selector the 2nd)
[155] = "%0.2f",   -- PTR-ANARC186-VHFFM-FREQ-3 (Frequency Selector the 3nd)
[156] = "%0.2f",   -- PTR-ANARC186-VHFFM-FREQ-4 (Frequency Selector the 4nd)

The increment for selectors 1-3 is 0.1 in the range from 0 to 1.0, except for number 4, where the increment is 0.25.

This is all properly set on the Streamdeck. However, when I push frequency selector 1 for example, the value goes up from 0.0 to 0.1, but on the second press it strangely kinda ramps up to 0.4 and on another press it ramps up to 0.0 again, because I allow cycling to the beginning. So a button press is not increasing the value by the specified number.

Does anyone know what could cause this issue?

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED:

It looks as if I cannot use "Incremental Input (Rotary)" here. If I use momentary buttons to increase and decreas the "rotation" it works.

Edited by Pixar
Problem solved

Asus TUF Gaming Z690 Plus Wifi D4 ** Intel i9-12900K ** RTX3090 Gigabyte Gaming OC ** 64 GB DDR4-3600 G.Skill Ripjaws ** Samsung 980 Pro M.2 ** Windows 11

Hi all,

After successfully creating the UFC for the A-10C, I started to build "pages" for the three radios VHF AM, VHF FM and UHF. While doing that, I ran into a problem and I hope someone can help me with this.

I use a "Momentary Button/Display (Text)" to display the current frequency and that works well. Then, I setup 4 "Incremental Input (Rotary)" for the frequency selectors with the respective DCS ID's 153, 154, 155 and 156

The increment for selectors 1-3 is 0.1 in the range from 0 to 1.0, except for number 4, where the increment is 0.25.

This is all properly set on the Streamdeck. However, when I push frequency selector 1 for example, the value goes up from 0.0 to 0.1, but on the second press it strangely kinda ramps up to 0.4 and on another press it ramps up to 0.0 again, because I allow cycling to the beginning. So a button press is not increasing the value by the specified number.

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED:

It looks as if I cannot use "Incremental Input (Rotary)" here. If I use momentary buttons to increase and decreas the "rotation" it works.

I had a look but was struggling too, if in doubt try different configs eg: Rotary button etc:

I've found some commands where Rotary works buttons don't sometimes switches

Thanks though good of you to post the solution appreciated

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

SOLVED:

I was going to post the same question today. Thanks for adding the solution.

Now....on the first segment of the ARC-186s don't return useful data to set the title change with. For example the AM one starts with 0.00 being 12 and it increments 0.10 with each increase until 0.00 becomes 9 and going up a few more to 12 it now returns 0.30.

Is there a better place to get the actual frequency from? I would assume so since SRS figures it out somehow.

Added: So it looks like in addition to variables 139-142 for the individual knobs there is a 2002 for the complete frequency. Not that it helps me get the current first knob position, but it's a starting point.

Edited by SmilingBandit
Adding info