Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

Maybe MAC is developed in conjunction with Vulkan (or DX12 maybe?), since it's delayed and not known when it'll be ready.

There is no DCS: DX12

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

It’s clearly not drag and drop. And all Vulkan implementations aren’t created equally, so I’m thankful ED appears to be taking their time to do due diligence.

Another part of me hopes it’s coming soon, because VR performance is still such a rough subject.

• 2 weeks later...

VULKAN API. When?

Can find any official news about vulkan api that is coming to dcs since 2017 ( based on my poor searches).

Would be great to hear about it, as imo performance in both pancackes and VR would be boosted, with would lead to increase interest in the game, after all noone wanna spend money on over 10 years old game that run like grandma on lsd.

DX11 is just fine, but i had my run in Vulkan games as well opengl, Direct;s and Vulkan API beat those any time everywhere.

Yet there's not many info about it, but threads about poor performance, or what mods should i use, are daily routine. :doh:

Can find any official news about vulkan api that is coming to dcs since 2017 ( based on my poor searches).

Would be great to hear about it, as imo performance in both pancackes and VR would be boosted, with would lead to increase interest in the game, after all noone wanna spend money on over 10 years old game that run like grandma on lsd.

DX11 is just fine, but i had my run in Vulkan games as well opengl, Direct;s and Vulkan API beat those any time everywhere.

Yet there's not many info about it, but threads about poor performance, or what mods should i use, are daily routine. :doh:

Please note, there is already an existing Vulkan Thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217784

Please note, there is already an existing Vulkan Thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217784

// MERGED THREADS

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 1 month later...
Would it be crazy, have an approximate release date?

Yes, because no matter what DCS does, someone will get pissed about this that or the other. I can't blame them from holding the cards close to the vest.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

FWIW, I never owned or tocuhed a Nvidia card in my life, I did recently only seen one at 2-3 meters in a PC for 2 minutes, that's about it.

One could argue that's fanboyism just flipped, but I never really chased the top 10% of FPS, and the times when I upgraded my GPU the ATI/AMD were never bad enough where I couldn't play the games I wanted to play, plus, I was never obsessed with anti-aliasing, I even played with it at 2x or OFF most of the time in all games.

Looks like I'll be sticking with ATI/AMD yet again as it looks like RDNA2 may be a big deal, relatively speaking against RDNA1 at least.

DCS and Crysis are the two games(sim :)) that I did indeed try to squeeze out the FPS I could.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the information. I am glad every time I hear ED talking about Vulkan and that they are really still working hard on it. Even if it takes time though. My feeling is that vR users will benefit the most. And the vR community and the market is growing every day.

Edited by darkman222

End of this year ?

Waahaa, that's almost like NOW :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes Vulkan api is still a thing.
Check ED 2021 and beyond news letter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Here's a really good short Vulkan overview and comparison that should work as a TLDR for almost everyone around PC gaming to understand, as part of the Vulkan update in the recent Khronos Virtual Open House Korea February 2021:

Briefly, Vulkan is a modern cross-platform API for high performance graphics and compute using GPUs. It gets its hardware model from OpenGL and OpenGLES, and its architecture and design philosophy from AMD's Mantle. What does that mean? Well, a traditional API like OpenGL presents you with a very a high-level abstraction that does not look very much like the underlying GPU. To make that work you have to have a large complex software driver to do this like memory management, syncronization, error checking, high-level shading language compilation and so on. It's convenient for the application, but there are problems. The driver uses a lot of CPU cycles, it's hard to understand and it's hard to optimize for, and because the driver does not know what the application is trying to do, it is often unable to make good decision about how to do it.

In Vulkan on the other hand you get a very thin abstraction, which looks very much like the underlying hardware. Most of the complicated functionality moves out of the driver. Shading language compilation moves offline, error checking moves into separate, optional, validation layers which you use only at development time, and memory management and sycnronization move into the application. That's more work for the application, but because the application knows what is trying to do, it can often do a better job than the driver could, and because the driver is simple, it is easy for the application programmer to predict how the driver will behave.

Tom Olson - Chair of the Vulkan Working Group - (Khronos Virtual Open House Korea February 2021 - in-cooperation with TTA)

aA5aw7r.png

One big point that I never see mentioned by the ehm tech news, are many many other benefitial practical consequences that Vulkan brings to the end-users, namely patching satisfaction in terms of graphics bugs, graphics performance, and graphics optimization, because of a lot of responsibility being with the application, the developers can properly write a fix (with proper code, no driver hacks/magic) without having to wait for the GPU Manufacturer to release an updated GPU Driver and the users to reinstall the (most likely) whole GPU software suite.

This is significant for DCS world, being considered a niche in relative terms, it rarely if ever gets any specific attention from the GPU manufacturers, at least publicly, and with Vulkan API DCS will break out of these shackels for good.

What's driver magic? Well, when GPU manufacturers "fix" something, they don't actually fix anything in the game ofcourse, they essentially hack their drivers with their tricks and commands that the driver sends to the GPU at specific times when XYZ game is at this or that point, for one, among other things, this is also why such fixes are unreliable and are prone to side-effects, and specifically for when you run that specific game and they have to potentially do this for every single game in existance separately, so another thing was that GPU manufacturers were huge babysitters in the legacy APIs world and all of the industry had to rely on them, their driver team capabilities, their willingness, and probably time allotments and the money around that, a horrible state of affairs. Ususally when you see a GPU driver change notes about some "fix screen corruption, speedup, etc" that was never actual proper code, the way game devs can do it now with Vulkan API.

Even if peak FPS isn't as big of a jump as some would expect in general, and initially it probably may not be in DCS as well, the new APIs have so many little and side benefits on so many levels that it is worth it, those are unfrotunately not as obvious to everyone, at least initially. However the blame now also goes to the game developers, so if a graphics bug or a performance issue is encountered, can't blame the GPU drivers that much anymore.

When it comes to DCS the community should understand this is a major transition and that it may be a bit rough, but the sort of equalizer is this very fact that game developer can now fix and optimize at will ongoing and possibly faster, which means as times goes on it'll keep improving and reaching further heights, so it's not a good idea to make any conclusions when DCS first arrives with Vulkan mode. It also depends on what kind of state is the first beta release planned at, how far would the internal optimization go on before public beta, it's something that they will decide. Prediction the future evolution isn't that easy, for nonexistant OS versions and HW, etc, so only a backward look analysis is worth the effort after the fact.

52:20

Edited by Worrazen
  • Like 1

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• ED Team

Planned for around 3rd quarter, if we need more time we will take it, but work is progressing well. 

thank you

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

I have high hopes for it. I’m holding off spending too much more on my PC until I see what sort of VR performance it brings. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, westr said:

I have high hopes for it. I’m holding off spending too much more on my PC until I see what sort of VR performance it brings. 

Wise choice, and wait for the GPU prices to come down 🙂

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Wise choice, and wait for the GPU prices to come down 🙂

Yes the prices are quite staggering right now, and my 1080ti has performed surprisingly well with my G1 reverb. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV