split throttle?

animaal

How frequent is it (in the real world) to separate the halves of a split throttle and have them at different levels? Is it only done in the case of an unusual problem with an engine? I'd guess that for minor asymmetric thrust problems, maybe trimming would be a simpler way to even things out.

The question came to mind because looking at some throttles, there are hats and buttons across both halves of the split throttle, which I imagine might be awkward to use if the halves aren't together.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Typically they're always together after startup/shutdown of engines. Asymmetric thrust wouldn't be done on purpose.

Only exception I can think of is the Hornet where pilots might make smaller corrections to thrust by walking the throttles forward/back an inch on one side, then an inch on another side, to get a finer control of thrust than moving them together, in cases like refueling or carrier landings. But both throttles would never be far apart from each other. And it's not for yaw purposes, but simply for fine speed/glide slope control.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Only "out of the ordinary" use (like engine on fire) that I used the split throttles was crazy acrobatics to give a asymmetric thrust at the stalling phases so you control better where nose will flip.

Sometimes I tried to use them combat the sidewind, but it really is more for a engine management on ground.

Now with the hornet I don't miss the dual-throttle as I have just one. But what kengou mentions about "walk with the throttle" is thing I have heard many times.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

How frequent is it (in the real world) to separate the halves of a split throttle and have them at different levels?

Like the others said, in normal operations that doesn't happen, except for "walking the throttles".

Walking the throttles can be used not just in the Hornet, as far as I know, but in all twin engine combat aircraft when fine thrust control is necessary, like aerial refueling and formation flying.

However, in non-normal operations asymmetric thrust can be a huge help to combat problems with the aircraft. Imagine the rudder got stuck deflected to one side. Then thrust could be used to help with the problem.

Or think of the DC-10 that had a complete loss of flight controls and was (crash) landed with thrust alone, with 184 people surviving the crash.

Also, when an engine has a compressor stall or shows other signs of irregular operation, the pilot might reduce thrust on that engine until the problems go away, and maintain that lower thrust setting for the rest of the flight, instead of shutting the engine down entirely.