A "Sort of" Different Steam question from a "Sort of" Different perspective...

Okay, I am guessing the answer is secreted somewhere in these forums, but tbh I don't have the time to trawl through lots of disgruntled posts, besides which, this post is a question regarding Steam but not in the usual 'frame'.

So I noticed that the new Persian Gulf map is up for pre-order on the E-Shop, and I was about to jump at the chance, when I noticed the "Steam Incompatible" caveat.

My question is; I know that new Steam modules (post & inc M2k) are not compatible with the standalone DCS due to licensing methods. However, does the same apply for (Starforce?) purchase keys, in Steam?

(i.e., If I pre-purchased the Persian Gulf map on the ED E-Shop, could I use the license key to activate / download this content on Steam?)

If not, is there any chance we Steam users will get a bite of the pre-order discount cherry, or was the 50% Steam sale a means to placate Steam DCS players for such an omission? (No malice or sarcasm intended, but there does seem to be a lot of confusion since this 'divorce' between Steam and Standalone).

Edited by License to Chill

My question is; I know that new Steam modules (post & inc M2k) are not compatible with the standalone DCS due to licensing methods. However, does the same apply for (Starforce?) purchase keys, in Steam?

All the new content on ED Store (standalone) is going to have a new protection that doesnt use Keys, they are using StarForce only on the current (older) Modules.

The first Module with the new protection has been the Harrier, and the upcoming F-18 and Persian Gulf Map will use it too. This copy protection is similar to Steam's but they are not the same, so the Modules will not be able to install onto the other platform.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you all for your very prompt and helpfull replies.

As a noob to DCS, all of my purchases have been done via Steam; I wasn't even aware of a Standalone version (at the time), so naturally I want to make sure that my future purchases align with the "Steam flavoured" platform, or I will be left with a new map for my A-10C, KA-50, and Mig 21, and lose out on my favourite (Viggen) and latest purchase (Harrier).

As a noob to DCS, all of my purchases have been done via Steam; I wasn't even aware of a Standalone version (at the time)

Then you should remain on Steam, I'm sure from now on both Stores (Steam's and ED's) will have almost the same modules and they will appear almost at the same time.

I started with DCS on 2013, with my first purchase being made on Steam. Later on I noticed that the ED Store had bigger and more frequent discounts, so I changed to Standalone and at that time I was able to bind all my Steam DLCs into my ED account.

For a while I was able to purchase both at Steam and at ED .. until May 2017, when the Steam DLCs started to came with no Starforce and thus incompatible with my standalone DCS. Nowadays I only purchase at ED.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

The advantages of Steam are that you can use steams in built functions and consolidate your easier management of games and take advantage of its faster downloads etc.

Disadvantage is that steam doesn't release to early access as fast and there's less opportunity for tinkering with installs, doing modding and generally deep diving.

Most people I know are on the standalone version because they need the flexibility and are OK with the extra admin cost in time.

So it's very much an iphone vs android question. If you want something that just works but can't tinker, go steam/iphone. if you are a tinkerer and want the new stuff, go standalone (android).

You can convert from steam to standalone with the key, but not the other way to steam. I bought Mi-8 on steam and moved it to standalone. Not sure if steam really do good deals on modules anymore because I get most of them immediately..

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Knowing now what I have gleaned from reading these forums, I definitely would have opted for the Standalone DCS instead.

However, when I purchased the Viggen - I did not notice the disclaimer that the content is standalone incompatible. Therefore, when I purchased the Harrier (which had the caveat in a more prominent position), I had to go with the Steam version, or play standalone without the Viggen. I certainly wasn't willing to purchase the AJS37 again in order to play without Steam.

However, as said before - I'm not here to gripe about my choices; good / bad / indifferent, I am just a little bewildered by the 2 licensing systems / one game.

To top it all off, I was recently watching a Grim Reapers YouTube video, and (I could be wrong but), it sounded like they were saying that only Steam players can play on Steam based DCS Servers and Vice-Versa for Standalone. If this is the case then ED have truly shot themselves in the foot imho. Sure, Cross-platform (Console vs PC) can have issues, but PC vs PC? I just hope I got the wrong end of the stick on this one.

... it sounded like they were saying that only Steam players can play on Steam based DCS Servers and Vice-Versa for Standalone.

As far as i Know, that is just not true at all.