What am i doing wrong

Hi all,

I come to the forum with the hopes that someone may be able to point out what I am doing wrong.

I have done absolutely every single YouTube optimization guide on DCS for the Oculus Rift S and it is just so underwhelming, constantly having to lean closely in to see gauges. Constantly lagging and pausing, glitching, having to recentre due to this.

The F18 works OK on high textures but F14 is unplayable and must be set to low-med.

It is so disheartening as I bought the PC brand new and was told this should be more than enough. All settings on windows are off effectively, it looks like windows 95 at this stage.

Is there something I am doing wrong, would the game work better on steam?

Tray Tool I can get to 1.5 max until shit hits the fan.

I would appreciate any advice at all, I don't mind upgrading something if needed as I only use the PC for X-Plane & DCS.

X-Plane actually works Ok but still not great.

My Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 6-Core 3.60GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo

HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive

MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB)

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX: M-ATX w/ RGB

MSI GeForce®️ RTX 2060 Super 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®️, VR Ready

Who told you this is more than enough, the store probably right?

DCS requires a lot of single-threaded CPU performance (at least right now until it gets optimized for parallel and Vulkan API) more than 16GB RAM, we usually suggest 32GB here counting in large missions and multiplayer sessions as well as reserve for background processes, and a relatively fast SSD such as Samsung 860 EVO SATA3 would be enough.

Oculus Rift S is not a professional HMD, the resolution is very limited. VR Technology for all it's hype is still mostly in it's juvenile stage (price points adjusted), it did pass the baby stage tho.

DCS has recently added support for proper VR headsets from Varjo: https://varjo.com/solutions/train/

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Weakest part of your build that is causing your pausing and stuttering is definitely your hard drive. DCS requires an SSD.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Your pc is a very good mid range pc and good for very mild VR.

It would run all the vr games on the rift store for sure.

DCS and fight sims in general are all the way at the other end of that scale and takes balancing out the system vs eye candy. Even with a 9900K and 2080ti, reverb etc.

You should always ask. We have a hardware section here

and many will say what to expect with X pc.

The RTX 2060 Super 8GB is more geared towards 1080P / 1440p gaming and light VR.

Flight sims you generally always want to overclock to gain some FPS.

Lower your settings and in the VR tab increase the pixel density (PD) until you can read the gauges. I run the old rift at 1.5, the new one is better. Not sure what new S should run that at. Ask in the VR section perhaps.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

No, you can copy paste them onto the new disk but you have to create a new Desktop shortcut

ah lovely, have zero space left on my C: so might drop them onto that 1TB drive for the time being, would that help for the moment?