TWS and ACM

Ok i'm lost.

I do not know how to effectively use TWS in this plane.

- Radar will not see targets it should see many times

- at 8:19 it bugs the middle guy for some reason, even though the front guy is clearly on radar. Then i unbug middle guy and try to bug front guy, which doesn't work for a while, untill it suddenly does ?!

- The TDC needs some time to accelerate it seems. And even at full speed it moves so slowly meaning certain death in many scenarios.

- Why is my TWS bugging a friendly awacs 160 miles away ?

- Why do i lose lock when i have an STT target, and switch to 'dogfight' mode ?

- Why does the right MFD goes to 'weapons' instead of the HSD everytime i switch modes ?

Look at me fumbling around, this is OFFline, just 3 non manouvring SU27's, and a friendly awacs and i can't make heads or tales of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUGo8NTOts

How do you guys use the F16 in multiplayer ? Do you even bother with TWS at all when more than 1 track is present ?

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

How do you guys use the F16 in multiplayer ? Do you even bother with TWS at all when more than 1 track is present ?

I don't use it because its unreliable in this state. I have no idea whether its the way it is or just WIP. I leave that to the expert.

I use SA mode and its much better and faster than TWS in the Viper for me. Want to shoot 2 guys? Easy, lock one guy then shoot. Wait little bit then lock the other guy and shoot. I've done it many times and got lucky.

The only scenario I would want to use TWS is when I see couple of unwary guys doing close formation in combat. Bad idea IMO as it is easy target with TWS.

Edited by Oceandar

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Well but that is completely useless when engaging more than 1 enemy ?

You'd have to wait for the first missile to go active before you can fire a second missile @ the other enemy.

Here's another weird thing with TWS ... In this case, i first have to manually bug the targets, before i can use the normal TWS function (cycling with TMS-right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSr4Fr7MEF8

And, shouldn't i be able to slew my azimuth somewhat when i have 1 target bugged ? Like in the F15 ?

That problem i too have, because after use tws my radar na mfd left no correct working: 1st deystvie: I najimayu na tms right and that no lock цель in myagkiy target!!! 2nd deystvie: After I teryayu more time chtobi najat na tms up after chego prois'hodit zahvat and after I najimayu na tms vpravo and proishodit myagkiy target lock... That no good!!!!( I teryayu more times chtobi locking 2 цели.

Edited by ArteSSmart

i5 9600k; rtx 2070super 8gb by "gygabite" gddr6; 32gb2(16x2dual) DDR4

- Why do i lose lock when i have an STT target, and switch to 'dogfight' mode ?

This is a known bug. The radar should not drop an active lock when engaging dogfight mode.

- Why does the right MFD goes to 'weapons' instead of the HSD everytime i switch modes ?

This is normal. Each mode in the F-16 has a default page layout that will be brought up when that mode is switched to. You should be able to set up ahead of time what the default pages are for each mode, and save them to the data cartridge; someday this functionality will come to DCS.

You seem to not understand how the F-16 manages MFD pages though. In the F-16 you can have three pages open at a time on each MFD. The three open pages will occupy the bottom three center buttons on the MFD. You can switch between open pages by clicking on their respective OSBs, and clicking on the button for the currently open page will being up the MFD menu to change which page is occupying that slot. The best part is that you can cycle between all open pages on an MFD by pressing the DMS in the direction of that MFD.

So you can (and should, by default) have both the SMS and HSD open on the right MFD. You can then cycle between them with a single button press on your stick by hitting DMS Right.

Ok that's helpful.

I can now switch between ' dogfight center' and ' missile override center' while keeping my right MFD settings. I just have to set them on the runway once ,and as long as i only cycle between those two it keeps the settings.

I noticed something else and have 2 questions :

Is the RWR bug (SA mode) less 'powerful' than a bug in TWS mode ?

I just feel contacts drop as soon as the enemy so much as changes altitude or direction slightly, even with reduced azimuth.

And, when i have a target bugged, it also seems to lose the bug when the enemy crosses the 20 mile mark and the scale on the MFD changes.

That is REALLY bad if that's true, noticed it almost everytime today (online)

This is a known bug. The radar should not drop an active lock when engaging dogfight mode.

I reported this 8-9 months ago.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Ok this is super bad , regarding the scale change in the radar with a target bugged.

The bugged target indeed disappears when the radar scale changes !

- 1) I hate that the scale changes automatically to begin with, is there for it to NOT do that ?

- 2) The radar elevation does not move with the target at all when a target is bugged.

So, as long as the scale does not change, you'll have the target bugged even though your radar is looking way over or under the target. !

edit* Ok, it DOES keep the bug in TWS mode , so it might just be how it's supposed to be

I really wish i could disable the automatic scale change though !!!

Its super annoying when fighting more than 1 enemy

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

I really wish i could disable the automatic scale change though !!!

Its super annoying when fighting more than 1 enemy

In TWS there should be no automatic scale change.

Muscle memory tells me to try the range knob on the HOTAS as well. But unsure and can't test right now.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Afaik you can still press the MFD buttons to change the range scale in TWS.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have also problems with TWS after the recent updates.

Before the targets were just small boxes and was visible

the System Target, Bug Target etc. Now with the new

Symbology (Red, Triangle) i can't see any indication of

System Target, Bug etc. Tried to zoom in but no result.

Accidently once targets are less 10 nm i've got a lock

but not happens the same all the times.

Especially when i am trying to bug multiply targets at

40 or 80 nm.

Thank you

Edited by ADHS

Democracy was already invented, while Scrat was eating oak fruits.

No, once a target is bugged you can't change the MFD scale anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUGo8NTOts

...then dont bug a target until you are ready to fire

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Hello.

I have also problems with TWS after the recent updates.

Before the targets were just small boxes and was visible

the System Target, Bug Target etc. Now with the new

Symbology (Red, Triangle) i can't see any indication of

System Target, Bug etc. Tried to zoom in but no result.

Accidently once targets are less 10 nm i've got a lock

but not happens the same all the times.

Especially when i am trying to bug multiply targets at

40 or 80 nm.

Thank you

Flying buddy of mine ran into this same problem the other day.

The red triangles are datalink related, not really TWS-related. Hollow triangles are uncorrelated targets (usually ones that AWACS or another aircraft sees that you can't). Once your radar (in TWS) gets either a track or system file, the triangle will fill in. (As far as I know there is no way to differentiate between track and system files, but I may be wrong on that). Once I get the filled triangle, TMS right will turn the track files to system files (if they haven't already), and right again will bug the closest one (or TMS Up over a particular target to bug that specific one) and it will have a red circle instead of the white one. Cycling between targets is the same as before, though the fact that some of the filled triangles might only be track files instead of system files can make it a bit tricky.

Personally, if I can't cycle between all of the targets, I will reject them and restart the process until I can bug all targets. I start early so that I'm not futzing with the radar once the fight is on. If the targets aren't maneuvering, I consistently get hits with the Slammer at 40 nm launch distance (usually from the high 30k altitudes with a closure rate of 1200+)

Yes, the radar will lose lock sometimes. There's a limit to the amount of processing the computer can do in a given number of sweeps. Just have to re-lock a target occasionally.

Hope this helps.

You'd make a great doctor.

"Does it hurt when you move?"

-"Yes"

"hmm...have you considered not moving?"

:doh:

Except that in this case, its supposed to autoscale. If you dont want it to, dont bug the target.

HP Z400 Workstation

Oh .. symbology and TWS in this game's Viper is interesting. You need a magification glass to figure that out. Given that you pick targets up at 40nm and your closure rate is FAST for a good launch, you don't have much time. Hurry! :-D