Weather development

nicka117

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There needs to be a way for a NEW pressure system to develop mid session to have a storm show up later in the mission. No known way of doing this yet that I have heard of...

It’s been awhile since I’ve played with dynamic weather but the systems used to move across the map. You could edit in a cell that would reach an area at a certain time. Took some trial and error but it could be done. Don’t know if that’s still the case. This would only work for SP missions though. It’d only work in MP if everyone started together, etc.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

This should get you started: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AAMjpjWL6pLnIQs&cid=BA8D40D87DB99C2E&id=BA8D40D87DB99C2E%2148742&parId=BA8D40D87DB99C2E%2110805&o=OneUp.

I had created some Excel spreadsheets to calculate things. I’ll see if I can find them again.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Whatever I'm doing, I can't " hide" the precipitations

:D

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Whatever I'm doing, I can't " hide" the precipitations

:D

I downloaded your file from the other thread but haven't had a chance to study it yet. Are you trying to remove rain from a section of the map or the entire map?

Rain is tied to system pressure and system width. In the good old days, you could adjust this so that you had plenty of cloud cover but little or no rain (roughly speaking, rain could develope where the wind was greater than 15). But that's all changed now. The cloud density is nowhere near what it used to be. That's why you can have only a few clouds and, yet, a lot of rain where the sun is shining. So, if your goal is to have copious cloud cover and no rain, that's not possible at present.

_____

Unfortunately, yes

I thought it would be possible to edit those precipitations, and make them " invisible "

Are they lua files ? DDS ? Hard coded ??

Edited by Lenux

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Unfortunately, yes

I thought it would be possible to edit those precipitations, and make them " invisible "

Are they lua files ? DDS ? Hard coded ??

I have no idea, unfortunately

_____

Talking about weather, i create clouds but after flying +/-50 miles they always disappear. Is there a way to make those clouds stay? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not the overcast but the 1-7 cloud cover.

don't view other units like very far away from you. Its rendering your area again i think. Everytime i press static or ground view cloulds disappearing.

don't view other units like very far away from you. Its rendering your area again i think. Everytime i press static or ground view cloulds disappearing.

I only get clouds around where I start, if I fly further away there isn't any, they don't follow me around either, they're just bound to an area around where I start.

The only time this doesn't apply is in overcast conditions with a mostly uniform solid layer (density 8-10 (?))

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There clearly should be a way to download actual weather, but also to record historical weather and add it to future missions.

One of a the problems with the current system I think is that DCS aircraft are unrealistically difficult to control in weather. For example, a ten knot cross wind in a F-16 requires significant control application to counter. I imagine you’d barely notice a ten knot cross wind in the real airplane. Maybe the problem isn’t in flight, but just the handling on the runway with a crosswinds, even 5-6 knots is very noticeable.

The turbulence in DCS is another matter altogether.

It’s kind of fun to crank up the wind.. if it’s right down the runway you can basically do stationary takeoffs and landings in some of the airplanes. I tried that first time in L-39, and forgetting winds were backwards in DCS the airplane immediately weathervaned 180 degrees back into the wind.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

Before they deal with complex stuff like dynamic weather, weather systems, and pretty cloud pictures, they have to get the basics right, which is somewhat lacking:

Ceiling and visibility:

Apart from thunderstorms, how high the base of the clouds are and how far you can see are the main issues concerning conducting missions in all weather conditions, especially when taking off and landing.

When the weather's bad, that means you may have a problem taking off or landing. If you're not proficient in instrument flying, you will either refuse to go and fight, or crash on take-off or landing, while the one who is proficient will win by default.

The visibility figure you set in the weather settings should correspond to how far objects appear. Unfortunately, the lights, all lights including street lights and runway lights, do not correspond to that: at night, they can be seen much further than the set visibility. During daytime, at least in the open beta version, the runway lights are so faint that you only see them on the the runway.

Low visibility is not just some fogging texture option on Open GL. It's the distance limit at which you can see objects, including lights. I hope they're working on that.

Presently, you cannot set the minimum cloud height, or ceiling, lower than 300m, which is almost VFR. What about setting ceilings down to 50m or lower? The only way to get such a lower ceiling is to take off from an airport at sea level (Batumi or Sochi) and head to an airport that's higher above sea level, like Tbilisi; then you can break out at the destination elevation + cloud height there, and set that in the cloud height settings at departure.

With dynamic weather, some airports could wind up in fog, and you have to return to do an instrument approach or go somewhere else.

And as someone mentioned earlier, the wind setting is 180 degrees off what it should be. The wind report is always where it's coming from, and not where it's going to. That makes it easier to figure out the amount of crosswind you have. So if the runway is 09, or pointing East, and the wind is reported coming FROM 130 degrees, you have a 40 degree crosswind.

My 2 cents.

Presently, you cannot set the minimum cloud height, or ceiling, lower than 300m, which is almost VFR. What about setting ceilings down to 50m or lower? The only way to get such a lower ceiling is to take off from an airport at sea level (Batumi or Sochi) and head to an airport that's higher above sea level, like Tbilisi; then you can break out at the destination elevation + cloud height there, and set that in the cloud height settings at departure...

This part isn't quite true. With static weather you can set the cloud deck and thickness to anything you want. You just can't do it through the ME which makes it more of a pain. You have to edit the mission file. Here's Butami with the base set to 80m:

Of course, any runways at a higher altitude could very well be very deep in the clouds.

_____

You have to edit the mission file. Here's Butami with the base set to 80m:

Well, that's great. But how do you edit a mission file? It's all gibberish as far as I can see.

Is there a mission file editor?

So why don't they allow setting the cloud base below 300m? Looks so easy to do.

Of course, any runways at a higher altitude could very well be very deep in the clouds.

Yeah, it's called fog.

Well, that's great. But how do you edit a mission file? It's all gibberish as far as I can see...

MIZ files are actually ZIP fles. Open the mission file (XXXXXX.miz) with something like WINZIP. Inside you'll see several files, one of which will be "mission" Open that with NotePad++. Scroll down to the section on weather and make the changes you want. Save and re-ZIP the file. Change the resulting XXXXX.zip to XXXXX.miz and you're good to go.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

• 3 weeks later...

Flying in nice weather almost always because of the broken clouds is like playing a fantasy game for me since where I live there rarely ever is nice weather. And, to put a statement: It doesn't rain in Britain. At least not compared to here. Can you beat 1100mm a year? icon_redface.gif

At least it's usually just realistic in all the desert maps we already have and will have soon rdlaugh.png

Now I begin to see a scheme... icon_question.gif

rainbowdashwink.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I am looking forward to that, but my requirements are rather simple. I wish we could set above zero degrees in The Channel and upcoming Syria maps. So far looks like Syria is affected by that weird bug.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta