Shus Kiowa collective

While I am pretty much flying the hornet exclusively at the moment I have been really excited for Polychop's upcoming Kiowa and flying with a bunch of Kiwis who love their 'chopper Tuesdays' so I have been starting to look at building a collective for the Kiowa given the lack of anything affordable at the moment. I'm starting this thread to document my build effort for a Collective with a decent button box. The Kiowa Collective is a very specific shape which adds difficulty so I am leaning towards a slightly customised build to give a 4 x 3 grid of buttons.

**UPDATE**

Finished product for reference, the build thread is below:

IMG-3367.jpg

First of as a source I am working on Barundus excellent tutorials. Based on that I am looking at 25 buttons to simulate and have leobodnar board for the task.

kiowa-collective.png

The Kiowa D Manual on Google has helped a little with this.

kiowa-collective1.png

For a base I've purchased a USB Handbrake similar to Tinkickef

Which seems to have a reasonable throw.

IMG-2589.jpg

IMG-2590.jpg

I decided to keep things simple to go with a motorcycle throttle

IMG-2597.jpg

Which with a little effort and both handles turned into this:

IMG-2598.jpg

The 22mm 7/8" thread inside this works well with 15mm poly pipe and I used a 22mm step to try and absorb the diameter of the throttle

IMG-2596.jpg

As best I can tell there the 206/kiowa has a 55cm collective, and at present I am sitting at about 70cm, but theres a few spaces to shorten. I've purchased the necessary switches and a jiffy box to mount on the end and am hoping to use some Gameboy DPADs for the for/5way switches as I lack a 3d printer so will aim to update as things start to progress. I can say the Handbrake has been a great option to provide a cheap way of managing the collective.

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

To simplify your build, you can exclude the "Remote ICS (#1)" switch. That was removed years ago.

Also, the "RPM Trim (#8) is not something you'd utilize in-mission. The only time you mess with that is on startup to set the Nr at 100%.

#5 "Heading Hold" wasn't used that often IRL. With the AI autopilot, it may not be worth the effort to model for the game.

#4 "Searchlight Control" will only be useful if you plan to manipulate the Landing Light/NVG Searchlight a lot during mission. Used every day IRL; not sure how useful it'll be for DCS.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Barundus, your videos are a inspiration. I have removed the remote ICS key, I have felt a bit like most of the collective/cyclic buttons on the Kiowa are a bit redundant but wanted to start with the same basic layout as its helped with the other DCS modules and see how it goes from there. One of the things I like about the kiowa is how home-build the solutions feel. nothings been built to fit its all been adapted and I think that's the big attraction over the hornet or warthog

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I would be willing to print everything once I get my printer setup if you’ll build me a Kiowa collective once you finish yours.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

While waiting on a Huey collective head to finish printing I did a mockup based on that drawing in Fusion360.

That looks awesome. At the moment I'm leaning towards this box: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealed-ABS-Enclosure-115-x-90-x-55mm/254600815112?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

or this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jiffy-Box-Black-130-x-68-x-44mm/254550317066?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm thinking to get Tekcreations to print a custom lid for it with the lettering inscribed. I'm not going to be able to do a 100% accurate recreation with the throttle grip I have as I want to put the idle release in the base.

Should have an update in a few days when the parts turn up. Worth noting theres also a couple other switches in the Polychop collective on the right hand side which look to be a later addition to the base collective.

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

Small update while I wait for the rest of the parts. annoyingly the USB B cable hasnt turned up which makes it difficult to place to Leobodnar board and the wiring. I started to draw up a shape to 3d Print an accurate box but figured I would complete this as a POC and get the wiring right before progressing to that anyway.

IMG-2609.jpg

Looking at this box for the collective head which is 115x90x55mm with the weather proof lid. I am going to replace the lid with something shallower I think

IMG-2610.jpg

I cut a hole at the back so the collective can attach to the top of the box

IMG-2613.jpg

The Motorcycle throttle insert fits through nicely and I cut down the throttle lead to increase travel. This is slightly offset to give the Leobodnar board space to sit andto reflect the assymetric nature of the kiowa collective with the jettison switch added on. Using a piping cap screwed to the top to try and keep everything very rigid. I may try and brace the middle of the box against the pipe but the unit is floating well enough at present that the throttle turns without any friction. I'll run the USB B cable down this pipe and likely drill a hole for it to come out. Theres very little flew in the unit and with the two spring washes inserted into the pivot point per the thread I linked last time theres a good deal of control over the friction. I may replace the nut with a friction handle so it can be tweaked as needed.

IMG-2614.jpg

I have a variable pot and a Servo arm to attach to the motorcycle throttle but want to have the USB Cable in first to figure what space I have to work with

IMG-2612.jpg

Its 60cm to the base of the pivot, but I can adjust that by removing some of the length from the larger pipe at the base of the throttle, so will likely chop 5 out as a next step to bring it towards the 55cm figure.

IMG-2615.jpg

Heres the current switches with a couple still to come, I'll probably end up using mini switches due to the space constraints but I have both and will likely set up initially with the minis and see what space is left once the min switches are in. If theres room Im also debating adding a linear travel pot to the side to allow for view zoom or something similar

IMG-2611.jpg

This was the only 4way hat I could fine on the web that wasnt $40+ its a gameboy controller. Im not overly happy with my 4 way switches which are very small, but seem to be the only option available. so this is still a work in progress but I may end up using one of these instead of the coolie hat too.

On the plus side I discovered the community AJ-6 mod today so I at least have something to try the collective with while I wait for the rest of the parts.

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

Realised I could add the throttle cover as it stands without needing to remove it image0-2.jpg

cw1.png

A little bit more progress.

I probably could fit full size switches in a box this size but the weatherproofing really messes with the available space so I will save that for version 2 if I can get a proper shape 3d printed.

IMG-2817.jpg

I hooked the throttle up but Im currently only getting about 30 degrees travel which could almost accept but I'm getting a a spike at the end of the travel which I think is the servo arm twitching. so I am going to need to find a different solution. the internals were a bit of a hatchet job,

IMG-2818.jpg

I was running short of suitable parts so I used one screw as a pivot on the servo arm and another to stop the throttle arm moving out of cycle. I am waiting on a different variable resistor and throttle sleeve which have geared edges so I am hoping worst case I can use an RC car gear to swap these out and get a larger amount or travel so the resistor is a bit happier.

IMG-2819.jpg

IMG-2820.jpg

The collective as is does an amazing job keeping the Littlebird stable with tiny movements able to be made to control collective. Theres enough friction to be able to take your hand off to work buttons on an external throttle or keyboard, I can really recommend the USB handbrake solution with a 40cm length of 22mm pipe on it as a collective, although I think even with button box functionality on the end it adds a great deal. i would suggest spending the extra for a handbrake with the mounting clamp attached unless you know what you want to put it on as Ive ended up with it screwed to a piece of timber clamped to the leg of an ikea foot stool.

Im not happy with my 4 way toggle switches which are 7.3H in this link so Ive orders some 10H to see if that works a bit better for modifying the DPAD covers I have.

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

2m USB Type B cable turned up today but unfortunately I had to remove the sheathing from around the mount to get it to fit, a big limitation of the Leobodnar board is the USB Type B connector. Fortunately the cable fits out the base of the throttle. I want to start splcing cables for the button matrix but am trying to wait until the new hat switches and Resistor parts turn up to see if they will fit first. IMG-2822.jpg

cw1.png

Hey John, the Kiowa is in devleopment by Polychop (Link https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=717) and yes it is DCS.

Cheers.

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Yeah Polychop Kiowa, Barundus has some excellent videos of it on youtube. Very exciting looking project. That said I am struggling for hat switches at the moment, the ones I have are two hard to work with and I think the ones I ordered are momentaries but I cant find any hat switches on themarket as a self contained product, so I am debating chopping up other joysticks vs having to build something myself.

cw1.png

Something of a mini update. Have been struggling with the Twist throttle behaviour for days so decided to swap out the rotary with a slide resistor, but couldn't find a way to mount it so gave up and added a rotary to the side as an additional axis which I had originally intended to do as zoom, but figured could double as throttle while I tried to find something else

IMG-2831.jpg

But in the process of configuring it and the slider I realised the problem with the throttle was that I had assigned the throttle resistor to the X-axis on the board which meant Windows was trying to 'centre' it when I finished regardless of where it was. Moving the resistor to axis 8 on the Leobodnar board had Windows recognise it as a slider which meant it stopped trying to centre the axis and it now works. I am getting about 200 steps across 40ish degrees of travel which is a little low but seems to work fine for a helo throttle. :)

cw1.png

Yeah your work on the V2 version is coming along Nicely Peeter.

cw1.png

Yeah not as good as peeters work mate.

cw1.png

Honestly this was my own documentation thread, Id really rather not turn it into another thread to try and promote your non released collective Thick.

cw1.png

No worries.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2 coming together, still waiting on electronic parts to arrive. Going to add a Motorcycle damper to see if it gives a smoother travel

image0.jpg

Microsoft-Teams-image.jpg

cw1.png

Couple reference shots of V2 which arrived today very happy with it and surprised how close V1 is in size.

IMG-3224.jpg

IMG-3226.jpg

IMG-3231.jpg

cw1.png

Painting update, havent worked with 3d Prints before but surprised how well it came up with a sand prime and paint.

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

cw1.png

Tekadept panel upgrade on the way!

20200726-120536.jpg

cw1.png

small update while I wait on shipping

image0.jpg

cw1.png