I know the Viper is still rough early access, but good job...

panton41

The F-16C Viper has become one of my favorite modules, despite its early access status and in large part because what is completed puts its capabilities roughly on par with the original release of Falcon 4.0 in the late-1990s (other than ground radar, obviously) which was my favorite flight sim "back in the day."

Though I miss Mavericks (I rarely used HARMs), the fact air-to-ground is limited to dumb bombs and laser guided only makes it feel like the mid-1990s flight sims I cut my teeth on which nearly all focused on Desert Storm.

So while I'm excited for more modern weapons in the future, I'm just happy to be tooling around in the Viper in VR and partying like its 1999... again.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Yeah. Its a blast for BFM . Roll rate is off the chart. I can tare it up with dumb bombs all day. The wing flex is awesome too.

i5-10600KF, 16Gb DDR4, GTX1660 Super, HP Reverb G2, TM Cougar, TM Warthog

I sometimes wonder what kind of BFM we are talking about here.

The F-16 gets eaten in BFM by everything including the JF-17 at the moment. Unless you turn of G-Locs.

(I'm talking about competent human opponents, not AI)

Feel free to take a look at BFM tournaments and you will see the F-14 or F-18 in those. But the F-16 plays no significant role in them.

Also if you like roll rate, try the JF-17. The F-16 feels rather sluggish in terms of roll in DCS.

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Yep, I'm really, really liking this bird. Honestly, I had zero interest in the F-16 and always thought it was one of the uglier fighters up there. But I tried it during the free trial and since, with the sale and some saved up points, it could be had for less than $30, I decided to get her.

The cockpit is one of the best in game - not even considering the view from that glorious bubble. I like the layout, the lighting, the DDI colours, the cockpit colours. It feels right. And it's a significantly more appealing place to spend time in than say ... the bug's cockpit - at least for me. She's a nice mixture of old-school and new tech.

I understand that it's not close to being finished yet but, since I had zero expectations to begin with, I'm not bothered at all. I've been using her for A-A only and having blast. I've started playing the F-15C Georgian War campaign, using the Viper instead of the Eagle. Might do the Mirage campaign after that. Playing these missions, looking out at the clouds and scenery, is a very welcome change from being heads down staring at green lines on a dark green screen, surrounded by other green blinky things.

So I'm surprised at how much pleasure I have gotten from the F-16C, and very pleased with the purchase. Nice work ED.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

The F-16 gets eaten in BFM by everything including the JF-17 at the moment.

(I'm talking about competent human opponents, not AI)

I can't see why? F-16 flies competently.

Feel free to take a look at BFM tournaments and you will see the F-14 or F-18 in those. But the F-16 plays no significant role in them.

Are you sure inaccuracies in those FMs aren't being exploited? It's not that F-16 isn't correct, but maybe F-18 is wrong and out-performing F-16 incorrectly? OR...no-one is flying realistically?

Also if you like roll rate, try the JF-17. The F-16 feels rather sluggish in terms of roll in DCS.

I have both, and while the JF-17 is my main aircraft in DCS, I'm more than familiar with the F-16, and nothing seems odd or unusual.

In fact, I'd suggest the F-16 is over-performing were it not for several tests I did yesterday (time to altitude and time to Mach 2.0).

Roll rate seems fine. It's very competent in 1 vs. 2 with AI F-14.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I can't see why? F-16 flies competently.

Are you sure inaccuracies in those FMs aren't being exploited? It's not that F-16 isn't correct, but maybe F-18 is wrong and out-performing F-16 incorrectly? OR...no-one is flying realistically?

I have both, and while the JF-17 is my main aircraft in DCS, I'm more than familiar with the F-16, and nothing seems odd or unusual.

In fact, I'd suggest the F-16 is over-performing were it not for several tests I did yesterday (time to altitude and time to Mach 2.0).

Roll rate seems fine. It's very competent in 1 vs. 2 with AI F-14.

Pilot blacks out at 7 g. That is a severe limitation while irl the absolute limit should be 9 g. It limits turn radius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean like dogfighting at full flaps in the Tomcat? Or paddle override turns in the Hornet?

Yup. That sure happens ...

Pilot blacks out at 7 g. That is a severe limitation while irl the absolute limit should be 9 g. It limits turn radius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without G-suit, many people will black out at >7G

I'm not sure but is it possible that a G-suit is not implemented yet?

To be honest: I haven't even checked my own G-load but had several black-outs.

In real life I've done 4G and I felt pretty comfortable with it. That was in PH-MRC and PH-MRG btw

Without G-suit, many people will black out at >7G

I'm not sure but is it possible that a G-suit is not implemented yet?

To be honest: I haven't even checked my own G-load but had several black-outs.

In real life I've done 4G and I felt pretty comfortable with it. That was in PH-MRC and PH-MRG btw

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a196171.pdf

:thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah. Its a blast for BFM . Roll rate is off the chart. I can tare it up with dumb bombs all day. The wing flex is awesome too.

Too high or to low?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

This... They have turned a sim into air quake...

What do you want to do? Present the people with an angry crew chief at the end?

We don't have a campaign and especially in short term dogfighting you just fly the thing to the limits.

If you had the option in reallife to return a bird that needs to get checked all over for hairline fractures, or - best case scenario - in a CSAR helicopter. I am sure pilots would go for the override option as well.

Fact is that the F-16 is just capped at the moment by the attainable Gs in terms of what the pilot can handle.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Fact is that the F-16 is just capped at the moment by the attainable Gs in terms of what the pilot can handle.

Yep, If you try to rate fight at the optimal speed you black out, if you get slower everyone will out rate you, and out-radius you.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

This... They have turned a sim into air quake...

Brother where ya been? The open DCS online servers have been Air Quake for a decade.:megalol:

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Brother where ya been? The open DCS online servers have been Air Quake for a decade.:megalol:

Not on the open servers then. Good choice! :-)

completely 100% agree with this. How I can tell ...well after quite long absen from "the sim that could not be named" this week I've tried it again. I was shocked with the FM. Its snappy and the roll much better compared to DCS Viper which feels sluggish like its on CAT III.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Give the joystick a snack to the side and see if the reaction comes instantaneously or not. I feel like there's a 200ms lag in it. Could be some weird PID parameters in the flcs