AIM-120 behaviour - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #11
Oceandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by atazar View Post
In a short time, the AIM-120C has become a slow missile operated by Hornet. But the same missile on the F-16 is lethal. Those of us from the beginning with the F-18 noticed all the changes and nothing goes unnoticed.
The reason why AIM-120 much more lethal on Viper is because Viper has alot of kinetic energy IMO. It also same for The Eagle.
Try look at the Tacview from 104th server (I know you regularly fly there) and compare.
Most of Viper pilots launching from above Mach 1 with afterburner ON while most of the hornet launching it avg at Mach 0.8. Now guess which one would impact first.

one more thing, the Viper with its massive accel, speed and unrestricted 9G turn arguably has little problem dodging your hornet AMRAAM with its limited 7G unless you press the paddle to override it.

Last edited by Oceandar; 01-15-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Oceandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
Orr89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceandar View Post
The reason why AIM-120 much more lethal on Viper is because Viper has alot of kinetic energy IMO. It also same for The Eagle.
Try look at the Tacview from 104th server (I know you regularly fly there) and compare.
Most of Viper pilots launching from above Mach 1 with afterburner ON while most of the hornet launching it avg at Mach 0.8. Now guess which one would impact first.

one more thing, the Viper with its massive accel, speed and unrestricted 9G turn arguably has little problem dodging your hornet AMRAAM with its limited 7G unless you press the paddle to override it.
This is completely correct, the Viper will launch a 120c faster the then the hornet, however once thing I get frustrated with is altitude, now I've seen it come into play with the shoot queuing systems, but doesn't seem to carry over to the missile.

Coming from BMS I normally will always pitch up before shooting to semi loft. This might be incorrect but it tends to give just that little extra range on the Fox3. This is something I don't see in DCS. As i said this could be wrong but I believe BMS missile are very closely replicated to the real thing, more so then in DCS currently?
Orr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #13
<Blaze>

In my experience trying to mimic a loft will only hurt your missile. Be fast, be on shoot cue and don't have too much altitude disparity otherwise your slant range is too much regardless of energy advantage or deficit.

How do you kill 2 flankers with 1 wing?

A good fighter pilot is either trying to get high or is already high!
<Blaze> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #14
atazar

Perhaps I am used to the effectiveness of AMRAAM in less agile targets in the past, but I no longer speak of an F-16, but of a CISTERNA aircraft, to which the missiles did not reach 8 MN. Yes, it is true, it was not going too fast, match 0.8 before the attack, but we are talking about a cargo plane.

atazar is offline   Reply With Quote