What is DCS?

Wags

• ED Team

I. No, FC3 is launched through DCSW, its another module.

II. I is not correct, so no issues joining MP servers

III. STandalone planes are here for an option to have some of the FC3 planes without the need for previous versions of LockOn required for installation of FC3

IV. FC3 was to bring the planes from FC2 and such to DCSW, with many improvements

Questions on DCS and FC3:

I.

Lockon+FC3 have to be installed seperately and dont merge with DCSW meaning you have to start FC3 and not DCSW when you want to fly FC3 planes?

II.

Assuming I. is correct: But you can still join the same MP-Servers?

III.

If you have the standalone planes from FC3 you can integrate them "better" by being able to load them as a DCSW module?

IV.

Wasn't the major improvement of FC2 to be able to fly with the Lomac/Fc-planes together with the DCS products? Now the major improvment of FC3 is being able to fly with DCS products in.... ermmm DCS"World"? Did I get this right? I know there are some more tweaks and features but that's how it sounds to me as far as I understood.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! Just bought P51 and CA.

To I.:

It's a module but it has to be installed seperatly (lockon+Fc3), right?

Should I install it before DCSW and DCSW will find it then?

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

Thanks! Just bought P51 and CA.

To I.:

It's a module but it has to be installed seperatly (lockon+Fc3), right?

Should I install it before DCSW and DCSW will find it then?

FC3 is a module for DCS World like any of the others. It contains only several planes instead of one.

It has only the prerequisite that LockOn is installed before you can install the FC3 module.

Install DCS: World

Download the module you want. Install. That it.

Incase of FC3, you need an installation of Lock On: Modern Air Combat already installed but this is just so that FC3 can be installed. Lock On never actually runs. I think you can uninstall Lock On after FC3 has been installed.

Thanks guys!

I think I got it finally :smilewink:

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

• 1 year later...

QUESTION:- What is the "Concept and Direction" of DCS"?

Hi WAGS, and all,

I read the first post and was hoping to know more, knowing that there are not many Air Combat Simulators in development anymore and DCS being the finest with some Hi-fidelity modules on offer, where in past I enjoyed "Study Sims" like Janes USAF, Microprose Falcon 4.0 and F-22 TAW, FreeFalcon and FSX -GOLD + Acceleration so on.

I am saddened by the lack or decay of Air Combat Sims and development so. I would like to respectfully ask ED-DCS Developers and Management about the DCS sim future direction.

In reading countless threads in Forum I see many still want what past sims offered in content, game and realism, my hope is to probe your minds and know more of what ED-DCS development direction is?

*** QUESTION:-

What is the "Concept and Direction" of the DCS Sim moving forward in development?

I understand the original concept was..............

Digital Combat Simulator World (DCS World) is a free-to-play digital military aircraft battlefield simulation developed by Eagle Dynamics (ED).

It includes a free Sukhoi Su-25T attack aircraft and TF-51D Mustang, and is extensible through additional DCS modules as well as user-made add-ons and mods.

DCS World includes a vast mission area of the Caucasus region that encompasses much of Georgia - the location of the Russo-Georgian war in 2008.

Additionally, DCS World includes: powerful mission and campaign editors, online multiplayer, massive inventory of air, land and sea combat units and weapons, advanced AI, fast mission generator, dynamic weather and seasons, training missions, mission replay system, and pilot log book.

This all allows the creation of engaging, real-world combat missions in this flashpoint region. DCS is a true "sandbox" simulation that can and will in the future cover multiple time periods covering many types of combat and civilian units. DCS World allows both realistic game play and more relaxed game play to suit the player.

DCS modules that can plug into DCS World include aircraft, maps, ground units, campaigns, etc. Not only does DCS World include modules developed internally by Eagle Dynamics, but it also includes those by certified third party developers. The first third party aircraft to be introduced was the UH-1H Huey.

Future and upcoming modules include the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet, Focke-Wulf Fw 190, BAE Systems Hawk, and Bell AH-1 Cobra.

Internet Reference:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Combat_Simulator

We all know that DCS stands for "Digital Combat Simulations" and believe many that love the Air Combat Sims of the 90's would love to see more in the DCS brand being the last in-development in this category.

The old Combats Sims like Atari's F-22 T.A.W, Microprose Falcon 4.0, Janes USAF so on were more in-depth "Study Sims" and had a good concept from Cadet training to full combat pilot to Theaters of WAR with Campaigns and Missions and vast terrain many Air Craft forming the air battler war scenario in the operations.

Study Sims

Modern jet combat aircraft and helicopters have a variety of complex electronic and weapon systems that are specific to a particular aircraft. This has led to a genre called the "study sim", which focuses on modeling an aircraft's systems as accurately as possible, often requiring thick manuals that rival the real manuals in detail. EF2000 might be an early iteration of such games, and when released by Digital Image Design (DiD) in 1995 it quickly garnered a cult following, including a user group that produced a detailed online manual of weapons and tactics. Soon afterward, a collaborative effort between Electronic Arts and Jane's specialized in such sims in the 1990s with titles such as Jane's Longbow, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15 and Jane's F/A-18.

Falcon 4.0 is perhaps the highest regarded example of this genre. This detailed simulation of the USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon was based on a series first begun in 1987 (Falcon). Later iterations improved the fidelity of avionics, weapons systems, physics, and flight models until version 4 was released by Spectrum HoloByte (later marketed by MicroProse) in 1998. Official development stopped after a few updates, but thanks to the intervention of MicroProse Chairman Gilman Louie, the Falcon 4 community took over development of further versions and add-ons. As of 2011, the community development is still highly active.

Helicopter simulations have their own story, beginning with Gunship, by MicroProse, in 1986. Nearly ten years later, in 1995, Digital Integration released Apache Longbow. The most sophisticated helicopter game to date, it would only be exceeded by Origin the year following. In 1996, Jane's AH-64D Longbow was created by Origin and released by Electronic Arts as part of the Jane's Combat Simulator series. The sequel, Jane's Longbow 2, was released late in 1997, improving every aspect of the game, particularly the terrain and objects. (Longbow 2 was one of the early simulations to take advantage of hardware accelerated graphics including advanced lighting). The following year, in 1998, Empire Interactive released Enemy Engaged: Apache vs Havoc allowing players to choose to fly for either the USA or for Russia. Meanwhile NovaLogic released the final iteration of their Comanche series in 2001.

The Digital Combat Simulator started with its first release DCS: Black Shark in 2008 a series of simulations, which can only be compared with Falcon 4.0 (and may excel the older simulation). The PC game simulates the Russian Kamov Ka-50 attack helicopter and was developed by Eagle Dynamics in cooperation with helicopter-manufacturer Kamov (the Kamov-logo can be found in the main-screen). The simulation features a complete and detailed cockpit of the Ka-50. All relevant switches are accurately modelled and functional. Over 500 key-commands are mapped, but the fully interactive cockpit allows virtually every switch and radio-button to be clicked and changed.[5]

Besides the traditional input-devices such as joystick, throttle and pedals, DCS has a built-in support for TrackIR with 6 DOF, creating (in conjunction with the interactive 3D-cockpit) a very realistic experience.

Due to the increased flexibility of the DCS system, additional fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter add-ons will be released as (independent) "modules" one by one, each module providing another realistic vehicle. The latest module released (release date September 21, 2012) features the North American P-51 Mustang.

Internet Reference:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_flight_simulator

AIR WAR -THEATERS and CAMPAIGNS - CLARIFICATION OF TERMS USED IN AIR COMBAT SIMULATORS

Now terms like “Theaters, Campaigns, Missions, Battlefield, Artificial Intelligence, (A.i), Warfare”

.....… etc are not owned by any game title including Micrprose/Atari Falcon 4.0 but the very essence of anything relating to military defense and strategy games.

Some links to read:-

Military (Theaters )Warfare:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_theater

Military Wars:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War

Military (Campaign) Warfare:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_campaign

Artificial intelligence (video games):- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artific...video_games%29

"No Game Title” or “EULA” owns those terms legally!

They are concepts or descriptions and they are found in every video game that’s based around WAR as per say.

i.e.

* Call of Duty

* Battlefied4

* HAWX2

* FSX

* ED-DCS A10-C ............... Even your own Campaign Mission Editor - Georgian Theater of War

…………………… for example and many more games use those terms.

Military Historical and Theoretical Wars:-

* Vietnam

* Taiwan

* Balkans

* Korean

* Afghanistan

* Israeli - Yom Kipor

* Iraq – Operation Desert Storm

* Europe's Fall

* Libyan Crisis

……………… just to name a few, with so many possibilities, the creativity here is as far as the imagination of developers!

Thats why many others as myself use this link as an example to illustrate what can be done in a DCS Series (DSC Theaters with Dynamic or Advanced A.i Campaign) ......... http://www.lead-pursuit.com/download...e_campaign.pdf

Also this is a kool read ............... http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/TimLenoir/Publications/Lenoir-Lowood_TheatersOfWar.pdf

So a better defined Road MAP of the "Direction and Concept" is needed in the Forum to explain to the wider audience exactly what is in development by ED-DCS Co.

If DCS is now a "Military Air Craft Collectors Simulator" for mult-player then it should be stated and defined as that in your Forum and promotional advertisements.

What I'm looking for in DCS is a "TACTICAL AIR SUPPORT SORTIE COMBAT STUDY SIM" in Single Player, embracing all that is ADF and modern air war, with a wide scope of Air Craft to be used in its purpose and design. In the joint mission phase and military operations from a tactical/ strategic simulator game perspective, for home entertainment and sim hobbyist.

The sim should develop you from a Cadet-ship in training to a Full Commissioned Combat Pilot. Where a Cadet is taught basic instruments and rated and basics of flight so on based on USAF Cadet Training Syllabus like F4 implemented. Then the Combat Pilot is placed into Theaters of WAR in various missions and campaigns. As well having a Global MAP with various Live Fire Training Ranges also adding Carrier Ops so on.

Cadet to Full Commissioned Pilot Training Pipeline Links:-

As an awesome example of past sims Janes USAF had much of what I describe.............. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrmwnxsb10I

They captured the entire scope of a cadet in training to a full commissioned fighter pilot in realistic air combat scenarios for gamers to get really immersed into the sim, so why cant ED-DCS do this?

Here is another sweet trip down memory lane............

Again to point out its about the "Air WAR" and there needs to be more development in this area. DCS should introduce a Global MAP with Historical and Theoretical Theaters of War with many Campaigns and Missions to play a part of the Air War Concept acknowledging that DCS is a Combat sim.

So I believe the first post needs some redo or consideration to the above from a readers perspective.

Well all the best for ED-DCS Sim it does have sweet modules. :thumbup:

Hahahahaaa,

I was giggling at the thought of strafing Trains........ LoL megalol.gif

So I remembered this video..................

Lots of fun with the P-51D and Sabre thumbup.gif

Cheers,

:beer:

Edited by WRAITH

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 9 months later...