Campaign feedback and issues

So I'm almost done with the campaign, need to retry the last mission, but wanted to leave my feedback, as it was one of the most rewarding experiences, in simming, so far:

Missions 1-7: No issues, execept on mission 4 due to pathfinding at the end, but it was fixed on the latest stable patch.

Mission 7: As soon as it started there were a few dialog lines out of sequence, namely the ones regarding the container ship being near the shore. Once airborne and near the ship, those same lines replayed, so it wasn't a big issue. Then when at X-field, it seemed that after the gunner leaves and comes back, it's missing a line to tell you to takeoff and go for the mortars. I waited a few minutes for it to show, but decided to takeoff anyway and head for the targets. All was well after that.

Missions 8: Got 100 percent but didn't advanced to mission 9 (reported here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=278146)

Missions 9: At the start, there were no instructions from ATC to taxi, even after setting the correct frequency. I started the taxi anyway and the dialog finally triggered midway to the holding point

Mission 10: No issues, I enjoyed that you have to be really attentive to the dialog so you don't get lost, and use the embark/disembark commands.

Mission 11: Forcing the player to go through a thorough startup checklist procedure after a whole campaign where you're told to just start the engines, is not fun.. :lol::lol: :doh:

But anyway the issue I had is that I approached the first site right over the apc, missed the radar :doh:, destroyed 3 of the missiles and got told the 2 min had passed and had to duck into the valley. Landed with some distance from the target zone, as requested, but then, after a few minutes, nothing happened. Maybe it was because I didn't destroy the radar? It becomes really difficult to do another run because the units are now on alert and all those lights mess with the NV goggle. But it was my fault so I'll do it again.

Edit: Finished this mission by destroying only the radar, that was enough for Sandman to go in and cooked them. The other issue I had was at the beginning, after setting the radio to command freq. nothing happened. So I departed, headed to the harbour and the script for the Batumi tower, triggered.

Finally, apologise for this, but the english dialog lines are full of errors (I'm not english native either so this post is probably full of them as well :smartass:). It seems that some speech-to-text program was used and missed half the words, or someone was having fun while typing them :drunk::drunk:. You can still make out that's intended but it breaks a bit of the immersion.

As others have said in this forum, it was great to see the level of detail and effort put into making the campaign very alive and dynamic along with the dialogs and sequence of events on each mission.

It was also very rewarding to feel my piloting skills improve from start to the end of the campaign, and my admiration for the huey getting stronger. It'll be my favorite heli for a very long time and I feel this campaign really made it shine and put into perspective the workhorse that it is.

A friend of mine, who really had the chance to flew it, recommended me this book, Chickenhawk, from a former Vietnam huey pilot. Some of the techniques he describes during his instruction were really helpful on some missions, especially departing overweight from tight spots as well as formation flying. So I'd recommend that to anyone flying this campaign.

Sorry for the long post, keep up the great work :worthy: and looking forward for the next missions!

Edited by GusPT
Just finished the last mission!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I agree that as long as the missions work properly, the campaign is a lot of fun. Unfortunately that's not always the case.

So far I have played until mission 7. That's includes skipping missions 5-1, 5-2 and 6. And I got stuck again at mission 7.

As far as I can tell, there are two possible basic problems - trigger activation and unclear mid-flight instructions from Peter.

One example from mission 7 (POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING!):

After the mortars start firing on x-field, I'm told to take off and locate the mortars (I already had a bad feeling when I heard that - I kinda saw it coming). So I'm following the road back from the airfield, then Peter instructs me to turn left - and that was the end of it. I kept flying for a few minutes before I gave up (having played this campaign this far, I just knew I must have missed a trigger).

I don't know whether it's a trigger related bug or if it's just me, but it sure ain't no fun.

There's a lot of ad-hoc stuff going on during the missions, which can be fun as long as I as the player understand what I'm supposed to do next. But I'm frequently left scratching my head in confusion. With no ability to reconfirm with Peter, the only available course of action left is to quit the mission.

I agree that as long as the missions work properly, the campaign is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, that's not always the case.

So far, I have played until mission 7. That's includes skipping missions 5-1, 5-2, and 6. And I got stuck again at mission 7.

As far as I can tell, there are two possible basic problems - trigger activation and unclear mid-flight instructions from Peter.

One example from mission 7 (POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING!):

After the mortars start firing on x-field, I'm told to take off and locate the mortars (I already had a bad feeling when I heard that - I kinda saw it coming). So I'm following the road back from the airfield, then Peter instructs me to turn left - and that was the end of it. I kept flying for a few minutes before I gave up (having played this campaign this far, I just knew I must have missed a trigger).

I don't know whether it's a trigger related bug or if it's just me, but it sure ain't no fun.

There's a lot of ad-hoc stuff going on during the missions, which can be fun as long as I, as the player, understand what I'm supposed to do next. But I'm frequently left scratching my head in confusion. With no ability to reconfirm with Peter, the only available course of action left is to quit the mission.

Domo arigato Gretsch_Man Sun

Many thanks for your reply.

We are still committed to improving the Campaign, so please let me know if the problems are actual or experienced over a longer period of time.

Mission 7 is updated just a few weeks ago, so the important places should be marked in time on the F-10 map during flight. The same is true for 5-2

In case of the mortar location: You are supposed to take off northbound, and at altitude, you get the info to turn southbound and follow the road back to Kobuleti. Ther is only one road from north to south along the beach. This rod leads directly over the mortars and in the trigger zone.

If you at well above 1000 feet - the order is 1500 - - to avoid ground fire, the trigger works fine.

But anyway, it is not your fault. With this campaign, we learned a lot about what may be wrong because it did so, and players struggled. For many out there, the complexity and, as you already mentioned, the mission's development is a hard task.

As is sad. We improve the actual campaign and take everything learned within the next campaign to guide you better thru the mission.

Unfortunate ED's efforts to improve over all performance leeds to manny bug's as well and we are always behind, because we get the issues reported from you guies and have no possibility to check missions before an update is released.

Always happy landings ;)

Unfortunate ED's efforts to improve over all performance leeds to manny bug's as well and we are always behind, because we get the issues reported from you guies and have no possibility to check missions before an update is released.

That's fair enough and I certainly wouldn't blame you for that.

Thanks also for your quick response. I appreciate it.

I'm also glad to hear you are still working on improving the actual campaign.

The main motivation for my comment was to provide you with some (hopefully) constructive criticism, e.g. feedback from a players perspective, especially since I heard you guys are working on a new campaign. Speaking of which, I would love to see a new campaign for the Gazelle.

One more thing I like to mention is the in-game labels, which are locked out in your campaign. As a VR only player, been forced to play with labels off can be pretty hard due to lower resolution. For me it would be better if I could turn them on.

I haven't started the campaign yet, but I want to agree about the labels. Please let the player decided if they need to use labels or not.

There are too many combinations of computer equipment, physical eyesight, and difficulty preference out there. No one but the actual player can decided whether using labels or not makes sense for their current situation.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Huey just exploded when leaving USS Carl Vinson's fleet for unknown reason. I was close to Wolf 1 at a height of 500 feet as instructed.

I checked the "Mission 1 Problem" thread. Maybe I was not 10-20 meters from Wolf 1 as mentioned there but I am sure I got no warning message telling me to get closer to Wolf 1 during our way FROM the fleet. I got 1 or 2 such messages during our flight TO the fleet but after landing on the frigate these should be reset, right?

I guess I need to calm my nerves on Elbrus now :-).

2881ec5d0e62ecbccac4d8991c2602fb.thumb.jpg.d6b58f8ea9eb4b1ddad8cd84ea5dec71.jpg

Well, my Huey just exploded when leaving USS Carl Vinson's fleet for unknown reason. I was close to Wolf 1 at a height of 500 feet as instructed.

I checked the "Mission 1 Problem" thread. Maybe I was not 10-20 meters from Wolf 1 as mentioned there but I am sure I got no warning message telling me to get closer to Wolf 1 during our way FROM the fleet. I got 1 or 2 such messages during our flight TO the fleet but after landing on the frigate these should be reset, right?

I guess I need to calm my nerves on Elbrus now :-).

Because Altitude and distance counter is reset at the frigate, I guess it was one of the F-18 and a midair.

Always happy landings ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I had that problem in Mission 10 for some reason. I couldn’t figure it out at all. Wasn’t engine temp gauge. Eventually just “got lucky” after a bunch of random explosions. Only happened on 10, 11 I had no issues.

If I’m throwing criticism in, it would be a lack of “proofing”. For example, there’s one sling load mission which I kept failing repeatedly until I realized that part of the LZ was not flat. Every time the cargo auto detached, it flipped over and destroyed.

There are a heck of a lot of spelling errors in the dialogue as it appears onscreen. I get that you aren’t English native speakers and it affects nothing in the gameplay, but on the other hand, as an officially sanctioned, pay-for-use DLC, one would expect a certain level of polish. It just looks amateurish, surely you could find an Anglophone fan who would be willing to give it a once-over. It’s not that much typing. I’ll do it if you like. PM me the scripts.

Probably my biggest gripe, though, is either lack of clarity or inaccuracy in the instructions. For example, Mission 10 (since I recently finished it) there is an instruction to go “further down the valley” to find Bravo. I understood that as “go beyond where you picked up Alpha”. And so flew for miles until I ran out of valley. I would have instead said “fly back down the valley”, I might not have missed the blue smoke above me.

This is where I am going when I talk about “proofing”. My guess is that after you make the mission, you fly it to make sure all the triggers work. That’s more quality assurance, but it’s not proofing if you already know the triggers. The true test comes when you are giving the mission to someone who has no pre-knowledge.

I did the Argo campaign before I did Worlds Apart. I had few issues understanding exactly where to go or what I needed to do. However, several times in W.A. I gave up in frustration after missing a turn or failing to find something, and had to go to YouTube to watch a fly-through in order to figure out just where I was supposed to go or what some trigger was that I missed. If I have to do that, or post in the forum asking “I can’t find the mortars” (which I only found by blind luck), that’s a failure. And given the number of posts of that nature by people, I suspect I’m not alone.

I am led to understand that you are working on a sequel. I’ll probably buy it just because I really like flying the UH-1, but there were times in W.A. that I was really being put off.

On the plus side, the missions made sense for what a UH1 crew would be doing, lots of reasonable patrols and lifting or cargo (hook or self-loading), and they were thoughtfully designed. When I figured out what made them work, they tended to be enjoyable.

I had that problem in Mission 10 for some reason. I couldn’t figure it out at all. Wasn’t engine temp gauge. Eventually just “got lucky” after a bunch of random explosions. Only happened on 10, 11 I had no issues.

If I’m throwing criticism in, it would be a lack of “proofing”. For example, there’s one sling load mission which I kept failing repeatedly until I realized that part of the LZ was not flat. Every time the cargo auto detached, it flipped over and destroyed.

There are a heck of a lot of spelling errors in the dialogue as it appears onscreen. I get that you aren’t English native speakers and it affects nothing in the gameplay, but on the other hand, as an officially sanctioned, pay-for-use DLC, one would expect a certain level of polish. It just looks amateurish, surely you could find an Anglophone fan who would be willing to give it a once-over. It’s not that much typing. I’ll do it if you like. PM me the scripts.

Probably my biggest gripe, though, is either lack of clarity or inaccuracy in the instructions. For example, Mission 10 (since I recently finished it) there is an instruction to go “further down the valley” to find Bravo. I understood that as “go beyond where you picked up Alpha”. And so flew for miles until I ran out of valley. I would have instead said “fly back down the valley”, I might not have missed the blue smoke above me.

This is where I am going when I talk about “proofing”. My guess is that after you make the mission, you fly it to make sure all the triggers work. That’s more quality assurance, but it’s not proofing if you already know the triggers. The true test comes when you are giving the mission to someone who has no pre-knowledge.

I did the Argo campaign before I did Worlds Apart. I had few issues understanding exactly where to go or what I needed to do. However, several times in W.A. I gave up in frustration after missing a turn or failing to find something, and had to go to YouTube to watch a fly-through in order to figure out just where I was supposed to go or what some trigger was that I missed. If I have to do that, or post in the forum asking “I can’t find the mortars” (which I only found by blind luck), that’s a failure. And given the number of posts of that nature by people, I suspect I’m not alone.

I am led to understand that you are working on a sequel. I’ll probably buy it just because I really like flying the UH-1, but there were times in W.A. that I was really being put off.

On the plus side, the missions made sense for what a UH1 crew would be doing, lots of reasonable patrols and lifting or cargo (hook or self-loading), and they were thoughtfully designed. When I figured out what made them work, they tended to be enjoyable.

Many thanks for your feedback 3 Star

First of all, I am still committed to improving any Mission in the campaign and your feedback helps a lot.

Depending on the number of reports we do this as fast as possible, or together with other things, like issues related to DCS core changes.

Many of your guesses are correct. I am not an English native and in fact, it came from a private project.

This is no excuse, but the processes behind it, which I am not allowed to explain here, bear a large part of the responsibility. On the other hand, while all necessary information was known ....

Mission 10

I believe you are not fast inouth. There is a time window for getting into the valley. If you are too late, the mission is over. There shud be a Text Message.

For the Campaign we working on, we have help from English natives, as well as french community members who support us.

The missions have a level of complexity, that makes it let's say, very difficult, to prove. Anyway, we learned a lot from this first campaign, and for the next, we do some things differently. We also will have Testers who help us identifying situations or advice they may be misleading.

Again many many thanks for your feedback.

Always happy landings ;)

Is it really the solution to sell a campaign through ED, your reactivity to correct is limited by their updating ...

When we see the time they take to fix what they break ...

To be able to do these missions, I had to translate them into French before (otherwise it was too difficult during the mission),

this to take away a little of the surprise of the events, but the missions were very formative.

For me, the only mission I couldn't finish is # 2 where the scenario ends when WOLF1 does not take off again ... still incomprehensible.

I look forward to the next campaign :smilewink: :pilotfly:

Is it really the solution to sell a campaign through ED, your reactivity to correct is limited by their updating ...

When we see the time they take to fix what they break ...

To be able to do these missions, I had to translate them into French before (otherwise it was too difficult during the mission),

this to take away a little of the surprise of the events, but the missions were very formative.

For me, the only mission I couldn't finish is # 2 where the scenario ends when WOLF1 does not take off again ... still incomprehensible.

I look forward to the next campaign :smilewink: :pilotfly:

Being in contact via PM already and without any spoiling, your part of the translation team for which we are very very thankful, I will try to answer this question publicly as much as I can because it may be interesting for others as well.

In fact, there is a theoretical way in the agreement for us to publish the campaign by our self.

But, many issues(90%) related to the core of DCS, and we have no ability to solve this on our own.

And if you a long-time DCS Pilot you will have noticed that there are big improvements in the way ED is handling not only us in a very very positive way.

Another thing is the technological part. We do not have the tools and the knowledge to do so. In particular, we send unsecured mission files to ED and ED is implementing security.

But most important. There is not enough money to earn paying for technical and personal costs for our own distribution. In fact, we are thankful ED is doing this for us even if they get an additional share for providing that service.

I only can speak for us as Helicopter Mission developers when I say Helicopter campaigns from ED's point of view are customer service and nothing they earn money with. The coasts may be higher than the rewards.

Any way we as a developer as well as ED as a publisher do our best to solve any problems as fast as possible.

@Tanuki44 I hope your work will be awarded in the coming update for the UH-1

Always happy landings ;)

• 1 year later...

Hello, in 5-1 there are three german sentences, probably nothing important.

In 5-2 the entire Objective is in german language. 🙂

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5

1 hour ago, CHPL said:

@jpuk
Text and voice overs? 
Will check it out. 
The campaign is in English, Frensh, and German, maybe i did something wrong.

Text for sure, about voice I am not sure.

Huey in the air, Spitfire in the hangar 🙂

The last version of OpenBeta (all terrains)

MFG Crosswind V2; Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog; TrackIR 5

@jpuk

Error found.
DCS recognizes different languages only if the mission was saved in Default (English). If another language was edited last, only this language will be recognized.
I clarify with ED whether all affected missions must be updated again, or whether you fix the error in DCS. In any case, the problem should be fixed with the next beta update.
In the meantime, unfortunately, the language can not be changed via the mission editor. 

Always happy landings ;)