VIRPIL Quality Control

Gunslinger22

With reviews of VIRPIL equipment, I bought a WarBird base and VFX grip with a 200mm extension without any hesitation. The pricing would also indicate to some that their products would be of the highest manufacturing quality. Sadly I’m about to be on my third VFX grip in only a month of getting the first. Does VIRPIL have any quality control? It’s rather embarrassing and frustrating to have button stop working after only a week of use. I would advise VIRPIL that they further test anything before sending. As when my sencond grip arrived immediately the DLC thumb wheel was sticky and would get stuck forward and aft. Now it’s completely inoperable.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

From what i read i guess VIRPIL has become a victim of it's own success.

They hardly can keep up demand which result in rushing everything out once it comes of the small production line. Too bad (but i like my WarBRD base very much)

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

From what i read i guess VIRPIL has become a victim of it's own success.

They hardly can keep up demand which result in rushing everything out once it comes of the small production line. Too bad (but i like my WarBRD base very much)

I completely agree, I also love my WarBRD base, which is why it's very frustrating that they have dropped the ball in other areas.

Well, I have bought 4 Virpil products - 2xWarBRD bases, Alpha grip, CM2 throttle - recently, and have had no issues.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I had a quality issue on a WarBRD grip that I owned: a small thing. Just a stripped thread and bolt causing the trigger to come loose. Pretty unimpressed by their lack of quality control.

However, to their credit, Virpil's customer service people were very responsive to send out replacement parts at their cost so that I could fix the problem. No more than they should have done. But they did it, so fair is fair.

I have - however - sold all my Virpil gear. I am switching to VKB / Thrustmaster.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had a spiking z axis on my Mongoos throttle and also to Virpils CS credit, they sent out the parts so I could fix the issue....I also found stripped threads in the grips when I pulled it apart tho.

And as above, I've sold all my Virpil gear for a full Winwing setup....couldn't be happier.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I own 6 virpil products between 2 orders

2 out of 6 were faulty out of the box

I repaired one fault myself

in Virpils defence, the other issue was sorted out within 3 weeks

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I have the original T-50 base, WarBRD base, CM grip, CM2 grip, VFX grip, original extension set, s-curve extension, and CM2 throttle.

I have only had 1 issue with the T-50 base that was resolved by opening it up and tightening a specific screw that had come loose after using it for more than a year. All it took was a quick email exchange with Virpil support.

I have read a lot of horror stories from other customers, and I am not trying to downplay their experiences. I am just pointing out that those with zero (or a 1-off minor issue) rarely post giving the impression quality control is worse than it really is.

I have the original T-50 base, WarBRD base, CM grip, CM2 grip, VFX grip, original extension set, s-curve extension, and CM2 throttle.

I have only had 1 issue with the T-50 base that was resolved by opening it up and tightening a specific screw that had come loose after using it for more than a year. All it took was a quick email exchange with Virpil support.

I have read a lot of horror stories from other customers, and I am not trying to downplay their experiences. I am just pointing out that those with zero (or a 1-off minor issue) rarely post giving the impression quality control is worse than it really is.

I have the original T-50 base as well. I had dealings with support on it, and CYPH3R was always a tremendous help. He used to post on these forums also.

Have not used it in quite a while now, but since his departure I could see support maybe going backwards a little. He was a great asset for their company.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I am just pointing out that those with zero (or a 1-off minor issue) rarely post giving the impression quality control is worse than it really is.

That may be true for mass produced products like Logitech and Thrustmaster but not for boutique products like this and I don't think it's a stretch to say most Virpil owners even read and post on either the IL2 or DCS forums or both. These are unique low production number products. The average consumer of "joysticks" hasn't even heard of Virpil, VKB, Winging, etc.

Lets see, T-50 base and grip for 2.5 years, only recently experienced the loss of one button on the grip (Top right side rocker). T-50 throttle 2 years and no issues what so ever. I may have just got lucky, but I'm still happy with my purchases. Recently rec'd a T-50cm2 grip and so far, so good. Will either send original grip back for repair, or ask them for a replacement button, and keep it as a back-up.

I have the original T-50 base as well. I had dealings with support on it, and CYPH3R was always a tremendous help. He used to post on these forums also.

Have not used it in quite a while now, but since his departure I could see support maybe going backwards a little. He was a great asset for their company.

AFAIK, Cypher is back active...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

From more research I've found that the V.F.X grip is plagued with problems and I'm far from the only one it seems. Such a shame that it doesn't seem to be in line with their other products.

The weapon selector switch is difficult to engineer and seems to be the cause of most problems. That is why I am going the VKB route, even though that has minor functional limitations it seems much better engineered.

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
From more research I've found that the V.F.X grip is plagued with problems and I'm far from the only one it seems. Such a shame that it doesn't seem to be in line with their other products.

I had some issues with my VFX grip as well, when I first got it, the set screw to lock the twist function was impossibly tight. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to seat in far enough to "lock" the twist. Quick PM/ticket to Virpil, told me how to easily disassemble the stick, and that was it, there was just a bit of extra material that was keeping the set screw from going in all the way. Luckily I didn't strip or cross thread it.

This and the flip down trigger on my first gen T50 stick stopped working, but then started working again about a day after I put a ticket in, and it's been fine ever since.

3 Warbrd bases, 2 T50 bases, 2 T50CM2 bases, 2 T50 throttles, 2 T50CM2 throttles, 2 Delta grips, 1 Alpha-R (otw), 2 T50CM2 grips, 1 T50 grip, 2 VFX grips, 1 Warbrd grips, 1 Ace-1 pedal, 1 Ace-2 pedals, 3 of the first gen desk mounts (short). Consider myself to be pretty satisfied with QC so far, very reliable and solid products on my end. Yes, I realize that others can and will have issues - example, most MonsterTech mounts customers rave about their stuff, while I've had nothing but headaches, missing parts, etc with their 4 desk mounts and various accessories. It happens, but considering how new Virpil is, and just how rapid (explosive) their popularity and subsequent growth have been, IMO they are doing an incredible job.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I’m with gman109. I’ve bought a lot of Virpil gear with no issues.

I keep saying that I am impressed by the variety of equipment they offer.

I kind of wish they just stay with sticks and throttles until they are perfected. There are already a good variety of rudder pedals out there. Just my two cents.

I like Virpil stuff, I think it is good well design kit ...... but QA ....

First video I made on Virpil was showing how to open and repair a brand new grip that arived faulty

1 x Faulty switch on grip

1 x faulty USB cable on throttle

order 1

1 x faulty spring for CM2 base

order 2

These faults would not have arrived to a customer if QA was being done correctly

I would love to see how their QA is set-up, from working in the Electronics Industry

for over 25 years I have seen how companies do it right

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 1 month later...

Last fall I decided I wanted to take the plunge and upgrade my HOTAS from my 6yr old X55.

It was still working but the joystick never felt precise to me especially when flying Helicopters.

I took the plunge and bought my first Virpil product which was over twice the price of my X55 once it was shipped and customs was added. It felt great and I was very very pleased with the product.

A year later, I'm now experiencing my second problem with Virpil gear. I have owned the WarBrd base and MongoosT-50CM2 grip for the past year and it is mounted on a Monstertech mount. I have only the one grip so it never gets removed from the base. It has less than 100 hrs of use and has suddenly lost all button control. When in the Joystick Tester software the buttons will only activate if the stick is pushed forward or up to the left or right. If you let the joystick return to center of pull it back you have no buttons that activate. I've been waiting on a reply to my support ticket.

In the spring of this year I received a new MongoosT-50CM2 throttle. Again, I was very impressed with the unit which was replacing the old X55 throttle. Unfortunately It had a defective button out of the box that would stick in the down position constantly. Virpil eventually sent me a new button to install but it took weeks to sort out and just short of 2 months to receive.

After reading a Reddit post from 9 months ago explaining the exact same issue I'm having with my stick, it appears there is a known problem with a cable breaking inside the unit. I'm not sure if the cable is in the base or the stick. I'm quite concerned this is going to be another long term issue to get fixed. I had little time to use the new equipment until now that I've retired and was looking forward to spending hundreds of hours in DCS. I hope there is a simple answer that doesn't involve another 2 month wait for a fix. I really hate going back to the X55 stick.

It has less than 100 hrs of use and has suddenly lost all button control. When in the Joystick Tester software the buttons will only activate if the stick is pushed forward or up to the left or right. If you let the joystick return to center of pull it back you have no buttons that activate. I've been waiting on a reply to my support ticket.
There used to be a problem with a cable getting pinched which caused the above issue. Normally VIRPIL will send you an exchange cable. In the mean time maybe you can fix it yourself by repairing the pinched cable (at least i would give it try)?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 3 weeks later...

I received my WarBRD base and grip today and unfortunately, it came with some issues. The trigger is very rough and sticks when not released quickly enough. The hat is very imprecise, I get one of the diagonal inputs 50% of the time I pull the hat down. I'm frankly disappointed by the lack of quality of this stick.

I had a similar issue with the trigger on my Alpha. A simple loosening of the trigger bolt resolved it.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

even though that has minor functional limitations it seems much better engineered.

What is that minor limitation?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.