F18 rolling right with no reason

slashxer

Hello. I have a problem with F18. It rolls to the right a little bit. I don't know what is the reason. I have full fuel, all pylons removed, no guns, no flares/chaffs. It's not a joystick problem. I have a problem only with Hornet.

I’m not saying it is your stick, but it may be.

Whenever I fly, Hornet or another AC, if you take off from ground at the start, what I tend to do is a control wipeout - before moving off, cycle your stick to its extremitys, fully all around, then your pedals if you have them, and I finish with running engines up to burner on runway. It’s good practice anyway, but just in case the sim needs to see travel limits of controllers, and centre points, it won’t hurt to do. “Other” sims suffer from this.

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

R Control+Enter brings up controls indicator overlay. See if you notice stick or rudder being slightly off center or vibrating a bit. Controllers can be very sensitive and might need a small deadzone to get rid of this. A loose connection inside flightstick can cause this too.

Mine was doing that but it was because the rudder pedals axis mapping reset and the left toe brake was picking up roll.

right was picking up throttle, was giving me all sorts of grief until I found it.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Check all of your axis mappings across all of your devices....DCS has a habit of assigning the same axis to multiple devices.

Edited by MustangSally

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I'm seeing this as well since a few builds (guess it started around the SC release) and I was woondering if it was an issue with my controls or even wind affecting. Then just recently I discovered it does never happen on a hot start, all fine there. If I cold start a Hornet and fly it with no stores, it always tends to roll to the right and I have to counter trim it, and retrim it for every speed or AoA change as if I had asymmetrical stores on it - if I start it hot on ramp or runway, the thing stays perfectly level. There's definately some kind of issue here.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

if you are using duel throttles with both left and right ensigns mapped you could have one of them ever so slightly higher than the other causing unwanted yaw

I noticed the issue with my throttles while back. (Warthog)

Left throttle was always tiny bit behind the right one, even when locked together.

I changed the curve on the left one so both motors were at equal thrust at both stops. Works good so far. I never lock them together.

Check your EFEI to see if there's any difference.

I was told by someone that the minor difference in thrust between the motors in the Hornet shouldn't produce that much asymmetric thrust. The motors are really close together and it's pretty much a centerline thrust.

Well, check your EFEI if you don't see any other factors.

I took control of your track at two points and flew the mission.

The first I took control at the beginning and did not contact the ground crew to remove the pylons from the aircraft. After takeoff and gaining some altitude, there is no noticeable right roll effect. The aircraft flies true.

I then replayed your track and took control after you'd taken off, and you had contacted the ground crew to remove the pylons. Without pylons and a completely clean aircraft, there is a very slight right roll. You can counter it with a single left trim click but it's not entirely neutral as you then get a much more mild left roll.

Conclusion: A clean F-18 (without pylons) has a slight right roll. An F-18 with pylons does not. I don't know if this is accurately modeled only ED can answer that.

Edited by FoxTwo

It's possible but I'm sure it was not rolling before last update (before 2.5 release). I noticed that after update.

According to your advice with trim - one left click makes it rolling left for me :/

It seems that I need to fly with pylons :/

So I did some additional testing... this is most confusing.

No pylons - roll right

Center pylon only - roll right

Inner pylons only - roll left (wtf?)

Outer pylons only - roll right

Inner and outer pylons (no center) - a very, very minute left roll

All pylons - level flight

Realistically I don't think anyone aside from a blue angels pilot is going to be able to tell you if the actual F-18 rolls when there are no pylons on the plane.

Edited by FoxTwo

F-18 rolls right without pylons

Not sure if this is a bug but I'm putting it here as I did some testing based on another post in the general F-18 forum...

The F-18 behaves differently based on how many pylons are on the aircraft. My limited testing has it doing this:

No pylons - rolls right

Center pylon only - rolls right

Inner pylons only - rolls left

Outer pylons only - rolls right

Inner and outer pylons (no center) - small left roll

All pylons - level flight

There's a trackfile in the original post that shows the roll effect with no pylons.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4436329&postcount=12

Yep, same here....another bug!!!!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Strange. All pylon removed, banks to right. Outer pylons removed, banks to left. And yes, only with keyboard.

Asus X99 Deluxe II|Intel i7 6850K @4.2GHz|G.Skill 64GB Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz|Noctua NH-D15 and 4x NF-A14 PWM|Corsair HX850i

Win10 Pro 64 @M.2 512GB 950 PRO|DCS @M.2 250GB 960 EVO

ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC 8GB GDDR5|ASUS PG348Q - LG 25UM58 @3440x2520

Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent|TM Hotas Warthog 7.5cm ext & 3x MFD Cougars|MFG Crosswind|TrackIR 5

A-10C|AJS-37|AV-8B|BS2|F/A-18C|FC3|Mi-8MTV2|PG NE NO SY maps|Tacview.

Remove Pylon #2: No bank.

Remove Pylon #3: Right Bank

Remove Pylon #5 center: Slight left bank.

Remove Pylon #7: No bank.

Remove Pylon #8: Left bank.

Remove Pylon #3 + 8 Right bank.

Remove Pylon #2 + 7: No bank

Pylon bug.zip

Pylon 2_7.trk

Pylon 3_8.trk

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.