Why the lack of in game tutorials?

ak22

The tutorials were made before DCS was DCS World and instead they were converted to video format for optional download and could be played back through later DCS World.

I can't find the files again but here is one which has been uploaded to YT

Yea but i prefer in game tutorials seems lazy when devs don't include them
That true!

And it's really strange that there ain't a standard way of "training missions" and a "traning campaign". Some modules are really lacking.

An in game tutorial with a corresponding training mission followed by a training campaign to tie it all together should be the standard.

And it all should be updated according every time the module changes and DCS itself changes as well...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I probably don't understand what you guys mean, but I have about 5 or 6 (not at my pc now to check exactly) interactive ka50 training missions. With the yellow "click here" markers and everything.

There's at least:

• Cold start
  • ABRIS
  • Navigation
  • Weapons
  • Countermeasures

(Might be forgetting 1 or 2)

Small side note:

I also own the Huey, and with that module I only have a few video instructions as you guys describe

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just assumed that he meant there are no instructions on how to basically learn how to fly/and control it. Not really about learning avionics. If one knows how the included training missions for the Shark came along, then one knows they are pretty amazing!

I just ranted about what I would like for a mandatory way of releasing and updating training in modules. Hehe Hope you get me now!

With all the modules I've aquired for the past 6 months it's pretty easy to see the very different ways modules are handled. And I think that as one gets used to DCS and ones own way of learning a new module (mostly YT for me), one tends to forget it. And it doesn't bother me that much. Cause I've got my workflow. But for newcomers to DCS, this might be a little intimidating at first, until you get into it, and gets one's own habits.

As for the Shark. There's lots of posts on how "the autopilot wants to kill me"!

Hope this made more sense!

Cheers

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

There were in game tutorial before, if I remember, 1.5.8. But it was too much effort redone them from scratch, so they included videos in the latest release.

If you want you can download DCS world 1.5 and probably you could perform training there.

(At least If I remember correctly)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

There were in game tutorial before, if I remember, 1.5.8. But it was too much effort redone them from scratch, so they included videos in the latest release.

If you want you can download DCS world 1.5 and probably you could perform training there.

(At least If I remember correctly)

I probably still don't understand this thread...

I don't see any instruction videos in the DCS training section for the Shark... I only see fully interactive training missions...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Wow. that is because some time ago those mission won't work anymore, but now they are!

So you can simply go to training and follow the Ka-50 list if you need.

Good point.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.