GBU 38 Training

DWaldie

I'm working my way through the training missions for precision bombing and I can't get my GBU 38s to release. I have the target set up in point mode on the MFD, fly toward it and the countdown counter moves between the two carets. When I press release nothing happens. What am I missing?

Also, is there a way of scrolling back through the training instructions to pick up anything I might have missed?

Cheers

• Like 1

Did you hold down the release button for a long enough time?

From the manual:

IAM Bomb Use

Using an IAM bomb is simplicity in itself. To drop an IAM bomb on a SPI designated target, follow these steps:

1. Set the Master Arm switch on the AHCP to ARM

2. Press the DMS Left or Right Short on the control stick until the desired IAM-weapon profile is selected

3. Press the Master Mode Control Button until CCRP is selected (as displayed in the center of the HUD).

4. Set desired location/target as SPI. There are several ways you can set the target as SPI, which includes:

 Move TDC over target and press TMS Forward Long to set as SPI

 Move TGP cursor over target and press TMS Forward Long to set as SPI

 Lock target with Maverick and press TMS Forward Long to set as SPI

 Set any TAD object as SPI

5. When the SPI has been set, the Azimuth Steering Line (ASL) on the HUD will indicate heading to SPI (target).

6. The designated target SPI will also have a SPI locator line extending from it to the TVV, or the TVV will have a SPI locator line extending to the target, depending on if the SPI target is within the HUD field of view.

7. Maneuver the aircraft to align the IAM Reticle on the ASL.

8. The Release Cue will move from the 12 o’clock of the IAM Reticle counter clockwise and when the Release Cue is between the Maximum Range Caret and the Minimum Range Caret, MAN REL will appear in the In Range Indication field.

9. When in range, you can HOLD DOWN the Weapon Release button to drop the weapon. Do not simply tap the weapon release button or this could result in a hung store.

Sorry there is no way to scroll through the instructions after they have been displayed.

Edited by Sabre-TLA
Corrected manual reference.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

From the manual:

"At about 6 seconds on the TTRN, the Solution Cue will start to fall down the ASL. Hold down the weapon release button and maneuver the aircraft so that the Solution Cue falls through the CCRP pipper. CCRP mode only uses 5 MIL mode; MAN REL and 3/9 are not options.

After the bomb(s) have been released, you can release the weapon release button."

Sorry there is no way to scroll through the instructions after they have been displayed.

I thought that's what I had done. I selected GBU 38 from DSMS, slewed to target and market it as point, then flew over it. It worked fine with the bombs in the earlier part of the lesson, but with the GBU 38s it was the mode with the carets on the clockface counting down.

I'll go back and try it once more :(

I thought that's what I had done. I selected GBU 38 from DSMS, slewed to target and market it as point, then flew over it. It worked fine with the bombs in the earlier part of the lesson, but with the GBU 38s it was the mode with the carets on the clockface counting down.

I'll go back and try it once more :(

Check if they're green in your DSMS page , green means good to go. However, recently i've noticed that if you fly somewhat straight for too long, ((THIS IS A GUESS) the bombs INS system loses track and needs some "jinking") Maneuvre a little and the DSMS page indications hould turn from white to green. I've only noticed this very recently , but surprisingly i've also recently seen posts about it here on the forums. So either this is a bug , or i somehow missed this feature for like 2 years.

Now, this is getting really annoying :(

GBUs are selected in DSMS and coloured green. I slave sensors to the waypoint and slew the TGP to the target and press TMS up to select point mode, fly directly towards the target and press weapon release (and hold) when the countdown on the clock face is between the two carets and nothing happens. Arghhh.....

I'm going to lose the war at this rate.

Now, this is getting really annoying :(

GBUs are selected in DSMS and coloured green. I slave sensors to the waypoint and slew the TGP to the target and press TMS up to select point mode, fly directly towards the target and press weapon release (and hold) when the countdown on the clock face is between the two carets and nothing happens. Arghhh.....

I'm going to lose the war at this rate.

You need to do TMS up and then TMS up long to make it a SPI. After that you will get a vertical line to align with your reticule. Also as McBlemmen said you need to assure the bomb is ready. If it is it will say RDY underneath the weapon name. It will be green regardless if it's ready or not.

Edited by Monstera

You need to do TMS up and then TMS up long to make it a SPI. After that you will get a vertical line to align with your reticule. Also as McBlemmen said you need to assure the bomb is ready. If it is it will say RDY underneath the weapon name. It will be green regardless if it's ready or not.

Got the vertical line. RDY on both the HUD and DSMS and still the buggers will not release. When the countdown timer starts, the HUD says manual release, which I guess is correct. The L letter shows on the HUD, which I take it to mean the laser is on. I don't have to touch the NWS button?

I've tried setting another SPI elsewhere and repeating the process and still no joy. I take it the release button is the same as for other bombs? (Joy2)

I've got the steam version of DCS, so I guess it's fully up-to-date. I'm assuming it's not a bug.

Sorry you are having trouble.

Check to make sure you are holding the pickle button (bomb release) while the Manual Release indication is showing. Once you get outside that range the bomb won't drop.

Remember that JDAMs always target the SPI. A technique for all JDAM deliveries is to enter the target coordinates in a steerpoint and set that as SPI. Ensure the SPI is set as the current steerpoint. Note that it could take up to 1.5 seconds to release the weapon as the CICU has to send the SPI coordinates to the JDAM and verify they are the same before releasing the weapon.

Hold the pickle button down until the weapon is released or you risk a hung store.

This video has it correct. You don't need the laser as it's a JDAM so it guides based on GPS coordinates.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

From the manual:

"At about 6 seconds on the TTRN, the Solution Cue will start to fall down the ASL. Hold down the weapon release button and maneuver the aircraft so that the Solution Cue falls through the CCRP pipper. CCRP mode only uses 5 MIL mode; MAN REL and 3/9 are not options.

After the bomb(s) have been released, you can release the weapon release button."

this quote from the manual is about something else.

IAMs don't release in 5mil, they are manual release and 3/9.

You should hold the pickle ONLY when the release cue is between the unwinding max and min range carets in the CCRP piper. LIKE THIS

this quote from the manual is about something else.

IAMs don't release in 5mil, they are manual release and 3/9.

You should hold the pickle ONLY when the release cue is between the unwinding max and min range carets in the CCRP piper. LIKE THIS

I have been pickling when the release cue is between 7 and 12 o'clock in your graphic. Should I be doing so before it gets to the 7 o'clock position?

So, if I pickle at the point where the cue is in the graphic shown will the bombs release?

Home soon. So I'll give it another go.

Yes.

Like in the little pic I sent, the range cue (unwinding circle with a little stick) has to be in between the two arrows.

Be sure to check out the "Weapon Employment" chapter in the manual, down to the point indications there ;)

One last question for this thread:

When I changed back to the GBU12s I could get it back into CCIP mode but it looked like the one used for unguided munitions even though the weapon profile was set for CCIP in the DSMS. I had no problem destroying the target in CCRP mode but I would like to know how to change back.

Thanks again.

Edited by DWaldie

One last question for this thread:

When I changed back to the GBU12s I could get it back into CCIP mode but it looked like the one used for unguided munitions even though the weapon profile was set for CCIP in the DSMS. I had no problem destroying the target in CCRP mode but I would like to know how to change back.

Thanks again.

Hitting the master mode control button (its in your hotas keybinds) will make you switch between NAV , GUNS , CCIP and CCRP mode quickly. I think thats what you mean. Otherwise all i can say is that CCIP GBU 12's DO look like unguided munitions on the HUD (freefall bombs). I personally always use CCRP for LGB's so i have no experience dropping them in CCIP mode.

The GBU 12 looks like an unguided bomb in both CCRP and CCIP mode (IE : very specific release timer iN CCRP mode unlike GPS guided bombs like GBU 38 and CBU 103/105 that give you a window to drop) becouse it pretty much is. No data is fed into the bomb itsellf , since the mechanism that guides it is VERY basic. The GPS guided bombs receive coordinates from the A-10 right before release (this is why you can only equip GPS guided weapons on certain stations) , but the laser guided weapons don't. (They just home on lasers if their seeker spots lasers). The GBU 12 really is nothing more then a normal MK82 bomb with an old laser homing kit attached to it

Hope this makes a little sense

Edited by McBlemmen

• 5 years later...

Same problem, GBU-38s will not release after updating to new cockpit. Never had a problem before, but they simply will not release now no matter what. Won't release in the training mission either. GBU-12s release just fine, so I know it's not a problem with my button.

SPI designated correctly, CCRP mode, GBU-38 selected, green and RDY, lined up, release cue between carets, MAN REL indicated, holding button down for several seconds, etc. I've released 38s hundreds of times previously but ever since the cockpit update they don't release.

Any ideas?

I've observed some issues with releasing GBU-38s as well recently. Sometimes they just won't release when the target is shown as in range (end of inner circle between both triangles). That happens when both triangles are located somewhere between 12 and 3 o'clock which is weird initself. In this situation you have to release the bomb when the end of the inner circle is still outside the two triangles.

To me it looks like, that the displayed position of the two triangles is messed up in those situations, but the actual dynamic launch zone calculations are still correct and you can drop the bomb at the right time, even if it is well outside the two triangles.

This only happens sometimes. At other times it works correctly, with correctly positioned triangles. I haven't yet figured out what causes this issue, nor was I able to gather useful track files as I'm flying big MP missions.

(Sorry for the rather simple terminology. Don't know how those triangles and such are called)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Now it's working again. Maybe there was an update.

Unfortunately there's no longer a satisfying 'ker-thunk" sound with any type of bomb release, just a very faint sound. Previously there was no doubt that a bomb had been released, now I have to check DSMS to be sure.

(No, I haven't changed any audio settings. Yes, my volume is up.)

Unfortunately there's no longer a satisfying 'ker-thunk" sound with any type of bomb release, just a very faint sound. Previously there was no doubt that a bomb had been released, now I have to check DSMS to be sure.

Yeah the clunky sound when bombs get released is barely audible right now, it most likely has to do with the ongoing work on the in-cockpit sounds. Maybe adjusting one of the sound volume sliders is going to "fix it". I'll give it a go when i get a chance :joystick:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

Do you have "hear like helmet" enabled? I tried with, and without - noticed a difference. Louder without that enabled.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria