DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #101
N1tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Mind A-10C defaults to 0 volume in the pit when you join, Beamrider. There's artifical secure comms in that its seperated from RED/BLUE anyway, not sure if any other implementation will achieve anything better.

Switching the radio "in focus" is quite a tricky event at speed. The airframes all have different ways of achieving it. I'm struggling to believe in the real world they do as much channel dancing as I've done. I'm tempted to ask for simplifications like either one button PTT and one for rotating through the radios or just three PTT's rather than the four we need right now. Buit open to thoughts on that.
Personally I like the idea of 1 PTT and 1 channel cycle button. Makes it much simpler. Granted you may need to press the cycle button once or twice depending on which radio you want to be on but for many who don't have fully HOTAS setups it will be a godsend.

Also, as the name suggests... Simple Radio

Stream schedule is TBD as I'm starting up again. Mostly on MP servers like the 104th and BuddySpike. (Not all streams will be DCS though).
N1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #102
Sierra99
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Switching the radio "in focus" is quite a tricky event at speed. The airframes all have different ways of achieving it.
Which is why implementing features that closely mimic the real aircraft is the right thing to do. In most US fighters selecting the radio you want to transmit on is a matter of pushing the radio switch the correct direction. For example A-10C has 3 radios and once each is on and a channel selected you can swap between radios as fast as you can move the switch between positions.

Quote:
I'm struggling to believe in the real world they do as much channel dancing as I've done.
In the real world we do far MORE "channel dancing" than I've ever seen simulated. Especially in the combat environment.

Initially set up radios.
Call OPS for mission words...UHF
Call Ground for Engine Start...VHF
Call Ground for Taxi...VHF
Switch to Clearance Delivery...UHF
Call Clearance delivery to fix / re-file flight plan...VHF / UHF
Call Ground / Clearance Delivery for ATC departure instructions VHF
Call Tower when ready for departure (switch to Departure frequency now or later?)
Check in with departure...
Call when clear of Class B airspace,
Check in with Range Control
Check in with AWACS
Check in with AFAC...
Change to enroute ATC...
Change to enroute ATC...Again
Call AWACS or GCI
(And don't forget every time you switch frequencies you need to make your flight made the switch to new frequency)
And that's just what I can think of off my head. We actually do very little ATC work in this game.

Quote:
I'm tempted to ask for simplifications like either one button PTT and one for rotating through the radios or just three PTT's rather than the four we need right now. But open to thoughts on that.

That kind of simplification would ruin it for people flying aircraft designed to use several radios in concert with each other. If the capability exists in the real airframe, it should be simulated in the game. By the same token, depending on the role they are assuming. If an aircraft or vehicle only carries 1 radio, that's all that should be available to the player in game.

Sierra

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970, Windows 10-64 bit, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Cougar MFDs, Saitek Rudder pedals and TrackIR 5.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #103
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

Just a quick preview of the next update in the attached screenshots.

You will be able to use an optional modifier on any of the hotkeys which i will be doing on my HAT switch

The Radio Switch PTT option is now under settings which if enabled will mean the radio switch button will double as a switch and PTT on:
  • Gazelle
  • A-10C
  • Mirage
  • FC3
  • CGI / AWACS / CA

As I've said before, it'll eventually be removed from the Gazelle when the radio box becomes clickable

I'll try for a release tonight. It'll also include the slightly updated Server admin panel.

Some people have had an issue being unable to bind hotkeys due to a conflict with a Corsair gaming keyboard, that should also be fixed in the release.

After that I'm going to implement the secure radio for A-10C but to begin with it wont have sounds effects to indicate secure mode.

How many radios would be appropriate for AWACS / GCI / ATC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	more-settings.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	144092   Click image for larger version

Name:	more-controls.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	144093  

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #104
Tarres

I think that a minimum of:
1 HF, for WW2 German birds, MI-8 Jadro, MiG-15 RSI-6 and the R-864 of the SU-27S. (2-50Mhz AM)
1 VHF (100-149.975Mhz)
1 UHF (200-399.975Mhz)

Additionally:
1 VHF FM, for the JTAC role. (20-76Mhz FM)

Power output for the radio R series
VHF/UHF radios:
VHF/VHF FM:10W
UHF: 8W

For the HF (Jadro and R-864) radios:
2-12Mhz: 100W
Above 12Mhz: 50W

The MiG-15 RSI-6:
8W (10W in emergency mode)

Last edited by Tarres; 07-13-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Tarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #105
Aginor
Veteran

I'd say eight to ten radios would be nice for AWACS / GCI / ATC if that is possible.

While setting up the ATC / AWACS guy would choose which of his radios work on which frequencies.

EDIT: Clarification:
That's because I think in many missions the AWACS guy will double as ATC/tower/ground. So counting:
- ATC/tower/ground
- main strike freq.
- FAC(A)
- ground forces
- guard
- four extra frequencies, for different purposes

EDIT: I guess it depends on the workload for the guys, You could do it with four radios. But... wow. Lots of switching.

Last edited by Aginor; 07-13-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #106
NECK

I agree with what Aginor wrote above, to have 8-10 radios to operate for a AWACS/ATC controller would be optimal.
If possible, these radios should have the possibility to adjust the volume, and turn them completely off.

As Aginor also wrote, it can be done with fewer radios of course, but it wil increase the flexibility if one can monitor more frequncies.

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel
NECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #107
Ciribob
ED Testers Team

10 is doable, it'll be a separate interface and basically like the overlay is my plan. Toggling them off an on is ok as well.

Hope you've got big screens!

I'll implement this before starting on the distance limitations but after the A10c encryption.

Would the AWACS / GCI radio need to have some way of inputting a secure frequency code as well?

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required!
DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord
Ciribob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #108
NECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciribob View Post
10 is doable, it'll be a separate interface and basically like the overlay is my plan. Toggling them off an on is ok as well.

Hope you've got big screens!

I'll implement this before starting on the distance limitations but after the A10c encryption.

Would the AWACS / GCI radio need to have some way of inputting a secure frequency code as well?
Sounds very good!
Is it possible to resize the window where the radios are shown?

Yes if possible, AWACS/GCI should also have the oppertunity to input secure radio, in order to cmmunicate with flights under their control

And please note, I am not a programmer, and do not know what is possible or not, I just come up with suggestions and functions that would increase the flexibility of the radiomod. So I might come with suggestions that are either difficult or impossible to program in a practical way.

132nd Public documents - Want to apply? - 132nd Youtube channel - 132nd Discord Channel
NECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #109
Aginor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciribob View Post
I think so. Not quite sure if it is necessary for a day one implementation though.

But I wonder: Do you think it would be possible to have a window with a frequency list that you can edit (and that shows a number indicating on which radio you are listening on that frequency), and then maybe just either
- drag and drop a frequency from the list onto a radio?
OR
- click on a frequency in the list and then press a number key from 1 to 0 to put the frequency to the according radio?
OR
- when clicking on a frequency on the list there is a small drop-down-list to enter it in one of the radios?
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #110
Eddie
Veteran

As already said 8-10 radios for the AWACS/ATC role (it is how many radios an E-3 mission crew has after all).

As for secure comms, again definatly yes. But as an additional thought it would be good to be able to chose which radios are secured and which aren't on an individual basis. Eg you'd want your package comm channels secure, but your guard channel open.

Another note on secure comms, the KY-58 used on the A-10 is pretty much common to all NATO aircraft so I'd suggest adding it to all the western airframes where practical.

As for the PTT discussion, yes individual radio PTT as in real aircraft are essential, while a single PTT and a button to switch between radio may seem simple it really isn't. We wouldn't be able to operate with that model as comms are just too damn busy. If I think about many of the FAC(A) flight I've flown where I'm talking on three separate radios to three separate entities almost constantly that's would be impossible.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote