Pitching down at Low level

flyco

I have written a mission which involves an F-16 taking off from Sukhumi, flying north over the sea at low-level (250 ft 420kias, before coasting in north of Sochi to attack Maykop - the load is a C/L tank, and 8 Snake-Eyes.

I have flown this mission about 4-5 times, and each time I have experienced the same phenomenon. As I cross the hills, the ac starts to suddenly and randomly pitch down. The pitch is fairly severe, but very short lived and now that I am used to it quite controllable, although I give hill tops a greater margin that normal. After 3-5 minutes it tapers off and eventually disappears. The effect is similar to a terrain-following radar, except that this pitch is down and not up.

Because it happens around 20 minutes into the sortie, any Track that I try to check on, has long since flown the ac into the sea. I use the autopilot over the sea but disengage it before turning to coast-in.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this, or has anyone experienced anything similar?

I have written a mission which involves an F-16 taking off from Sukhumi, flying north over the sea at low-level (250 ft 420kias, before coasting in north of Sochi to attack Maykop - the load is a C/L tank, and 8 Snake-Eyes.

I have flown this mission about 4-5 times, and each time I have experienced the same phenomenon. As I cross the hills, the ac starts to suddenly and randomly pitch down. The pitch is fairly severe, but very short lived and now that I am used to it quite controllable, although I give hill tops a greater margin that normal. After 3-5 minutes it tapers off and eventually disappears. The effect is similar to a terrain-following radar, except that this pitch is down and not up.

Because it happens around 20 minutes into the sortie, any Track that I try to check on, has long since flown the ac into the sea. I use the autopilot over the sea but disengage it before turning to coast-in.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this, or has anyone experienced anything similar?

Have you reduced your speed before crossing the mountain?

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Well, I had about 3-5° changes in flight vector from throttling up and down. But I guess that's not it.

If you don't have a track file, could you make a video of it?

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Falcon87. Spot on!

I did use A/P over the sea, and I did operate the switch to disconnect it before coasting, and I confirmed visually that the switch was in the "A/P OFF" position. Unfortunately I checked the switch on my Helios panel, which did show OFF , but I did not check the switch on my main display, which showed ON. This does seem to be a recurrent bug, with both Helios and a hard-wire switch failing to be detected first time by DCS.

Stupid mistake on my part, but thanks again.

I just wish there was a way to delete this thread before anyone else spots it!