Tips to improve VR visibility in cockpit

blunt_waco

Does anyone have tips on how to improve instruments and text legibility using VR? I'm using Rift CV1 and text looks fuzzy and jagged, instruments panels text looks like it's missing pixels. I don't want to buy a new headset for now. I'm waiting to see what's next since HP Reverb almost got it right so I'm thinking their next headset would probably be better.

Any promises made by ED to work on VR enhancements/improvements?

Thank you.

The only way I know of is increasing Pixel Density in DCS and/or using oculus tray tool to fix the PD/supersampling there too.

What PC specs are you running? I get pretty good results in the F18 running 1.4 in DCS and also 1.4 in OTT.

I probably don’t need to set both but frames are pretty good and I can read everything in the DDIs fine. CV1 also.

Edit: I just re-read your post, sounds like you need to play with anti aliasing too, I can post my settings later if it helps and my spec is:

Z390 MB

i7 9700k @5Ghz

16GB DDR4 RAM @3000

GTX 1080

DCS on an M.2 SSD

Edited by danny875
Re-read

A Rift S or Reverb and a 2080 Ti are the path forward. Years of tweaking and overclocking and playing with ASW and pixel density and moving the headset around so that it’s higher on my forehead to get closer to center of vision and I, literally this week am finally over it. Its not going to get better. 2080Ti gets here today. Rift S came Tuesday.

I'm willing to wait for RTX3000 and whoever gets better VR next. Enjoy your new gadgets :pilotfly:

The only way I know of is increasing Pixel Density in DCS and/or using oculus tray tool to fix the PD/supersampling there too.

What PC specs are you running? I get pretty good results in the F18 running 1.4 in DCS and also 1.4 in OTT.

I probably don’t need to set both but frames are pretty good and I can read everything in the DDIs fine. CV1 also.

Edit: I just re-read your post, sounds like you need to play with anti aliasing too, I can post my settings later if it helps and my spec is:

Z390 MB

i7 9700k @5Ghz

16GB DDR4 RAM @3000

GTX 1080

DCS on an M.2 SSD

I set my PD in DCS to 1.5 and for Supersampling, I use Oculus Debugging Tool located in the Oculus folder and set it to 1.0. AA in DCS, I think I have it to x8.

I never tried OTT. I will give it a try.

My specs are:

GTX 1080ti

DDR4 32GB

CPU 4.7Ghz

Samsung M.2 970 PRO SSD

Yeah your problem is that the CV1 is low res. There is a mod to help with the MFCD readability some. And bumping up PD helps a bit, but overall its literally the lowest res headset out there, so its not gonna be great. 2080ti and Reverb is what you want right now for a good experience. And about the only thing on the horizon thats looking "better" is the pimax 8kx for 2-3x the cost of the reverb, and given pimax issues with hype v reality I wouldn't hold my breath. Personally I don't see anything much better than the reverb for at least a year or more.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah your problem is that the CV1 is low res. There is a mod to help with the MFCD readability some. And bumping up PD helps a bit, but overall its literally the lowest res headset out there, so its not gonna be great. 2080ti and Reverb is what you want right now for a good experience. And about the only thing on the horizon thats looking "better" is the pimax 8kx for 2-3x the cost of the reverb, and given pimax issues with hype v reality I wouldn't hold my breath. Personally I don't see anything much better than the reverb for at least a year or more.

I agree with everything you said.

Well to be honest I almost pulled the plug on the Reverb. I was itching to get it so badly, I just wished it wasn’t a WMR headset.

Yeah I am with you there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Does anyone have tips on how to improve instruments and text legibility using VR? I'm using Rift CV1 and text looks fuzzy and jagged, instruments panels text looks like it's missing pixels. I don't want to buy a new headset for now. I'm waiting to see what's next since HP Reverb almost got it right so I'm thinking their next headset would probably be better.

Any promises made by ED to work on VR enhancements/improvements?

Thank you.

What hardware do you have( CPU, GPU) ? Question is to be able to help with possible overclock of CPU and/or GPU to get extra headroom for the higher graphics settings that helps cockpit visuals.

You also might need to lower some settings to release the computing power for imcreasing the important ones.

I come from three years of Rift CV1 and if the hardware is up to it, use as high Pixeldensity as possible. I also used the setting for cockpit resolution “1024 every frame” or something like that.

I have a friend with CV1 and quite weak hardware so Ive been helping with making it work ok and be able to see the instruments.

This together made it as good as it gets with the CV1. When needed, lean forward to see what you need.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

What hardware do you have( CPU, GPU) ? Question is to be able to help with possible overclock of CPU and/or GPU to get extra headroom for the higher graphics settings that helps cockpit visuals.

You also might need to lower some settings to release the computing power for imcreasing the important ones.

I come from three years of Rift CV1 and if the hardware is up to it, use as high Pixeldensity as possible. I also used the setting for cockpit resolution “1024 every frame” or something like that.

I have a friend with CV1 and quite weak hardware so Ive been helping with making it work ok and be able to see the instruments.

This together made it as good as it gets with the CV1. When needed, lean forward to see what you need.

My specs are:

GTX 1080ti

DDR4 32GB

CPU 4.7Ghz

Samsung M.2 970 PRO SSD

I'm overclocking my ASUS motherboard using EZ Overclock in the ASUS UEFI to 30% I tried more than that but Windows would give me the blue-screen.

Last night I attempted OC the GPU using msi afterburner and the framerate increase wasn't much, i think it was between 3-4fFPS gain.

My specs are:

GTX 1080ti

DDR4 32GB

CPU 4.7Ghz

Samsung M.2 970 PRO SSD

I'm overclocking my ASUS motherboard using EZ Overclock in the ASUS UEFI to 30% I tried more than that but Windows would give me the blue-screen.

Last night I attempted OC the GPU using msi afterburner and the framerate increase wasn't much, i think it was between 3-4fFPS gain.

4.7 is quite ok.

32gb also, do you know which memory freq they have and is the BIOS setup for that speed?( default is something like 2667, in most cases you have to set up this in BIOS. For example Xmp profile.

I had a i7@4.7Ghz/16Gb RAM and a GTX1080 earlier - Your end settings would not differ that much from mine, I guess.

You can use the Task manager/resource manager to see how loaded you CPU and RAM are (RAM shouldnt be a problem here, really), and there check the specifik core that has the highest load. in the task manager you can se the load on the GPU. These values tells you how changesaffect and also when the game doesnt run smooth, what is the limiting factor.

The grafik card OC and 4-5fps is a good extra. If the ASW has set in and rhe computer is able to make just above or just under 45fps, it may do the difference between smooth play and stuttering.

I always use OC on the GPU for DCS, but not for other daily tasks.

I suggest you lower some settings and set cockpit resolution to 1024 every frame and then tweak the Pixeldensity to 1.6. Test fly and check for instrument clarity, if its then alter the other settings so that you get the game to run smooth enough for your preference.

I think the slider on the right side, preload radius or something like that should be set to max value. ( think it loads ahead which makes it easier for the computer ( takes more RAM, but you have that).

Threes and grass= start low.

Start with settings like this, but maybe start with visibility range a bit lover, high ?

Right side of Picture I didn have one with my actual used settings. I Think you can start with the sliders around the red star markings.

The VR tab, set Pixeldensity to 1.6.

All this should make the instrument Sharp an still not lower the fps that much. If it runs smooth, use the fps counter and test fly making one change at the time( to learn what is "killing" your game flow. The balance between smooth gaming and quality is a matter of personal choise so you just increas the settings until you fel it is enough quality but not too much stutter and ghosting.

I Think you should disable any other VR tool that messes with for example PD when testing, so you know what values you actually is using.

DCS-Settings-1.png' alt='DCS-Settings-1.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Check this post about how to check the CPU load:

Also, GPU-Z is a good tool to see the load on the GPU in more detail than what you see in the task manager.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4163309&postcount=288