[REPORTED] Do ACM modes work with AMRAAMS?

Pooter03

I've been having trouble getting locks in WVR combat. My typical loadout has been 4xAMRAAM, 2xGBU-10, fuel (hooray for jettision!) and a pod. If I get jumped by a hostile and get to WVR range, I have a hard time getting lock, whether trying to slew onto the brick in CRM or switching to ACM and trying any of the different modes. In boresite, I'll have the boresite cross directly on the hostile and will not get a lock.

Is this because I'm doing something wrong, ACM mode is buggy, or it only works with Sidewinders/gun? (even with the latter, locking seems haphazard.)

It's because ACM and radar in general are WIP. It should definitely work with AMRAAMs.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

• ED Team
I've been having trouble getting locks in WVR combat. My typical loadout has been 4xAMRAAM, 2xGBU-10, fuel (hooray for jettision!) and a pod. If I get jumped by a hostile and get to WVR range, I have a hard time getting lock, whether trying to slew onto the brick in CRM or switching to ACM and trying any of the different modes. In boresite, I'll have the boresite cross directly on the hostile and will not get a lock.

Is this because I'm doing something wrong, ACM mode is buggy, or it only works with Sidewinders/gun? (even with the latter, locking seems haphazard.)

Please provide a track file and we'll be happy to take a look. I just tested and I'm not having an issue getting a lock from ACM BORE mode against a target wtihin 10 nm.

Thanks

OK, I've got 2 tracks:

Ramp.zip.acmi: Cold start on the ramp. Got within 3 miles and no lock using ACM boresite.

Flight.zip.acmi: Started in flight. ACM boresite locked immediately when I was in range.

Problem seems to happen only when starting cold on the ramp. 99% of my time playing is in multiplayer on servers that start you cold on the ramp, so it didn't occur to me to check SP starting in-flight until now. I attached a couple of screenshots with the tracks. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Tacview.zip

I just tested the crap out of it with a Mig-21, and I was able to get locks in 30x20, 10x60 and boresight with AIM-120s selected without TOO much problems. My only gripe right now is that if I DO lock up a target in ACM mode (with AIM-120s selected) and then subsequently LOSE that lock, the radar defaults back to CRM mode, and I have to go dogfight switch inboard, then outboard again to re-select ACM.

Then there's the annoyance of trying to get into a good firing position for a slammer when in the merge, but that's a different problem altogether.

Edit: my test was an air-start.

Evan "Preacher" Weeks - Dad. Programmer. Virtual Fighter Pilot.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you guys share the mission you were using and in-sim track, please?

Unfortunately, I didn't save the missions. I just created a new mission on easy, disabled all planes and vehicles except for red attack planes at maximum, gave myself a couple of 120Cs. The first time (ACM not working) I had it set to cold and dark. The second I had it start in air.

I attached the two tracks earlier, you are looking for something different?

Miz: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WIWnECblDKbkbV5ExHewXr1Q5x0k9bsa

Trk: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18xsAHAIhuKpWyiScZy1C2W3TcciTrTfH

Started up in the air about 6-7 miles nose-to-nose separation, quickly turned on HMCS and flipped to DOGFIGHT, selected AIM-120's. The 30x20 mode seems to be tied to that little diamond in the center of the HUD. I had to get the target really close to that cue to get the lock to happen. The 10x60 mode works alright from my experience. The boresight mode, I ended up having to hold the egg on the target waaay to steadily for it to find and lock the target.

Notice that every time lock was lost in ACM, the radar converted to CRM and I had to flip to MSL OVRD and back into DOGFIGHT for it to go back to ACM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had a few minutes to try and recreate it tonight. Created a quick mission with the same parameters as last night. Took off, intercepted and ACM boresite worked. There are only two differences from last night:

1. I'm using my monitor, not VR (which is weird as hell, considering I've never seen the game outside of VR)

2. I started on the ramp already loaded with missiles defined in the mission editor rather than using the radio to set a loadout.

I might have a chance to do one more try tonight, if so I'll post the track and mission.

Looking for actual replay files from the sim, tacview doesn't help if I have to submit, I will try and reproduce the issue tonight.

Got it. Uploading the track and mission. Cold start with no weapons. Loaded weapons using ground crew, took off, ACM, no lock. Let me know if you need any more information.

cold start 2.zip

I just tested the crap out of it with a Mig-21, and I was able to get locks in 30x20, 10x60 and boresight with AIM-120s selected without TOO much problems. My only gripe right now is that if I DO lock up a target in ACM mode (with AIM-120s selected) and then subsequently LOSE that lock, the radar defaults back to CRM mode, and I have to go dogfight switch inboard, then outboard again to re-select ACM.

Then there's the annoyance of trying to get into a good firing position for a slammer when in the merge, but that's a different problem altogether.

Edit: my test was an air-start.

30x20?? do you mean ACM or RWS?

Page 102 of the Early Access Guide for the DCS F-16:

"The Air Combat Mode (ACM) automatically acquires aircraft at short ranges. This mode is used most often when the target is already acquired visually. The pilot flies the aircraft to position the target in the proper position for radar acquisition.

Different scan patterns are available in the four different submodes:

• Boresight (BORE)

• 10°x 60° (Vertical Scan)

• 30°x 20° (HUD Scan)

• Slewable

The radar locks the first target it detects within each submode’s search pattern. Maximum acquisition range is 10 nautical miles for all ACM submodes except Boresight, where acquisition out to 20 nautical miles is possible. Each submode has its own strengths and weaknesses and is best used in different situations."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Page 102 of the Early Access Guide for the DCS F-16:

"The Air Combat Mode (ACM) automatically acquires aircraft at short ranges. This mode is used most often when the target is already acquired visually. The pilot flies the aircraft to position the target in the proper position for radar acquisition.

Different scan patterns are available in the four different submodes:

• Boresight (BORE)

• 10°x 60° (Vertical Scan)

• 30°x 20° (HUD Scan)

• Slewable

The radar locks the first target it detects within each submode’s search pattern. Maximum acquisition range is 10 nautical miles for all ACM submodes except Boresight, where acquisition out to 20 nautical miles is possible. Each submode has its own strengths and weaknesses and is best used in different situations."

I know but up to this day only bore and 10x60 is working. You said you got a lock in 30x20 but that is not functional yet, just like slewable.

It is "functional." I was able to get it to lock on several times. In 30x20 (ACM default mode or TMS right) there's a small diamond near the center of the HUD (no, not the AIM-9 seeker symbology. It looks almost like the slewable mode cursor, actually, just much smaller). If you steer the aircraft so that diamond is near the target, you'll get a lock. I've done it multiple times in the last several days. That said, obviously that's not the right behavior. It should be scanning a much larger area than the 5-6 degrees around that diamond.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
Got it. Uploading the track and mission. Cold start with no weapons. Loaded weapons using ground crew, took off, ACM, no lock. Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks, I have this reported now, does seem somehow related to starting on the ground, but either way, I do have it submitted to the team, thanks!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png