would it be possible for DCS to recognize a multi mode switch?

upyr1

I've only had the throttle connected from my X-52 for ages (that + MSFFBII), but I did use the mode switch to get different functions.

At the very least DCS recognises modifiers - can't you make the mode switch cause the output to be CTRL + Key / ALT + Key / SHIFT + Key ?

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

To expound on zhukov's answer: no, but kind of yes.

Unless you can tell your HOTAS to report the switch as a button press of some kind, then there's no way for DCS to tell that it has been pressed — it will only be able to notice that the stick is reporting different inputs per how you've programmed the device. And how that works depends entirely on how the HOTAS implements the mode switching.

Does it send different DX button inputs when you flip to a different mode (so, say button 1 + mode 1 = DX button 1; button 1 + mode 2 = DX button 2) or does it do the last-century thing of sending keyboard inputs (so, button 1 + mode 1 = space bar; button 1 + mode 2 = shift+space)? DCS will somewhat pick up on the second method, but may very well have trouble detecting the full combination. It will not notice any switching in the first case because all it sees is that the device send completely different button inputs and it has no idea how those inputs are generated.

If, however, you can tell the HOTAS to not do any internal mode switching at all and instead just send a separate button input when a given mode is selected, then DCS already offers the ability to create shift- and mode switches that you can then use to create non-overlapping uses for the same button. You can do this with any button, so there's nothing special with mode switches in that way. All you do is tell DCS that (for instance) button 3 is a shift-state trigger, and now you can bind button 3 + button 1 as being a special combination, separate from button 1 on its own, or from button 4 + button 1 or shift + button 1 or any other combo of button 1 and other available shift states.

As a general rule, you really should stay away from programming input devices on their own unless you want to achieve something very special in the device hardware itself (eg. controlling LEDs depending on throttle or switch positions) and instead let DCS — or indeed any other modern game — do the work of figuring out what combinations of buttons should activate what functions. Unless you're dealing with some seriously obsolete software, they can all handle it just fine and with far less hassle than having to keep track of some device translation layer with its various profiles on top of the game's own device interpretation profiles and binds.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Yeaaah, you can get it gibbered up really quickly if you're not careful. I screwed up my Virpil throttle and VKB stick a dozen times each before realising I don't need to do funky stuff THAT much

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

That's not true, DCS can have two types of modifiers, a "switch" and "modifiers". The first type is toggle When you press the 'switch' all your controls will go into the 'alternative' mode untill you press again.

The 'modifier' is the usual press the modifier at the same that as another button to have a different action

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1