Hydras are to weak!!!!

[Knight]

Yes there is room for improvement everywhere. It's not my intention to put any developer on the fence and demand certain issue fixed. What I'm doing here is more of educating about what we should see if some work would be put here - like modeling the right warhead, fuses, and effect on target.

Right now we can probably kill a tank with practice warheads (didn't tried that, it will probably take a while), and we do no damage at all to any target with white phosphorous, because the rocket goes through them harmlessly, until it impacts the ground - creating smoke effect (no damage at all), or the illumination flares are going too far before ignition... etc. etc.

You see, it is especially frustrating since the FFARs are the main armament for this Huey - and I won't even repeat myself about the wrong launcher and rocket motor combination here.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

You see, it is especially frustrating since the FFARs are the main armament for this Huey - and I won't even repeat myself about the wrong launcher and rocket motor combination here.

Yup, but Huey is just a beta version... I really hope for a much wider armament suite in the final release.

The M75 and M129 grenade launchers were widely used on Hueys in Vietnam...

Or the M6 subsystem (M60s machine guns)... or the XM3 ARA...

Door mounted M197, M134 miniguns / .50 cal's could also be nice (but for now door mounted armament is virtually useless without AI door gunners).

Even TOW launchers or SS.11 missiles in the M22 subsystem were used on the Huey...

Yet I'm not quite sure about combination of these particular subsystems with the H version of the Huey - perhaps some of them were used only on "short" B/C/F Huyes?

So... Hopefully it will became more usefully and flexible as an attack chopper in the near future...

Edited by AirwolfPL

Ok, one thing at a time:

Yup, but Huey is just a beta version... I really hope for a much wider armament suite in the final release.
What I'm afraid is that what we see is what we get - nothing new in the release version.

The M75 and M129 grenade launchers were widely used on Hueys in Vietnam...
Well yes, although those would only be viable here either as minigun replacement on the flex mounts (would become M9 subsystem then), or crew operated as XM94 pintle mounted in the cabin. M5 with nose mounted turret have no real place here, because there was no provision to mount it on the Delta and Hotel models - even though the cockpit section structure have close to none differences between the short Charlie and Mike models, and the structure attachment points for turret are there.

Or the M6 subsystem (M60s machine guns)...
Funny, because the M6 subsystem is the only flex mounted armament used operationally, mounted to the front hard points on a long Huey (only one such aircraft was used in Vietnam). Australians did test such configuration with M21 and miniguns, but abandoned it and used fixed mounts instead.

...or the XM3 ARA...
The Delta had provision to mount the M3 subsystem, there were no changes in structural components that would prohibit its installation on the Hotel variant... but it doesn't really give us any advantage over pod-type launchers. The launcher tubes are the same as on the M156A1 launcher we have currently, which means no Mk.66 rocket motor provision.

Door mounted M197, M134 miniguns / .50 cal's could also be nice (but for now door mounted armament is virtually useless without AI door gunners).
M197 was an experiment - it worked... somewhat, but not fielded on anything except as a turret armament in later Cobras. Also it was tested on a short test-bed Huey. Looked cool though:

xmm61_l.jpg

And no, the recoil was not an issue.

Even TOW launchers or SS.11 missiles in the M22 subsystem were used on the Huey...
Maxwell missiles, and TOW were very specific kind of equipment, designed to work with the short body Bravo Huey, although the M22, could technically be installed on the Hotel Huey, the TOW would pose many problems. The XM26 was a system of both the helicopter and the armament, not a subsystem, that could be easily taken off. For example the nose structure was extensively modified to mount the TSU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If a place needs helicopters, it's probably not worth visiting." - Nick Lappos

• 2 months later...
FFARs have short range, are inaccurate and have weak warhead, to penetrate front or side armor, you need at least 5" of diameter to fit shape charge big enough.

We should be able to kill tanks, but with some cunning - having the right warheads (M247, although Mk5 somewhat would do), and having right tanks damage modeling - allowing to put a warhead on the engine cover. Right now it registers such hit, as an rear armor hit, and removes hitpoints, so with enough rockets, we can kill a tank, but it's ridiculous.

Not only that, take the White Phosphorus warhead rocket, and shoot at anything, and be amazed as the rocket flies through, until it hits ground - then and only then its set off... producing a signaling smoke flare :doh:

The whole rocket system I'm guessing is taken straight from Lock On, and is actually laughable now when we have to use it as primary armament.

I agree the use of unguided rockets is ridiculous When attacking armor. I also agree the damage models need to be adjusted against soft targets. I too many times where I unloaded 20 to 30 rockets at a mortar emplacement and nothing happens. Let alone unleashing rockets on things such as trucks lightly armored vehicles, etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus X370, Win10 Pro, Intel I-9 9900K 4.8 128 gb TridentZ,

2X Nvidia TITAN V (volta) , 65" Samsung 7100 series 4K , 2 x 1 TB Evo 860SSD, 4 X 4TB HD, 8 X 2TB HD external array

Tmaster Wathog, Elgato Streamdeck, 3DX Spacepilot pro,, Thermaltake 900 tower Corsair H150 WC,

HTC Vive, Pimax 8KX VR, Nostromo Speedpad N52, Tmaster MFD x2

They are way to weak and bounce off the tanks although guns do a good job of AAA, APC, Mortars, Ground troops and Sams the key to tackling the sam site is flying super low skiming the ground head to head dodging missiles and then when close enough hit with the guns and its out.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

They are way to weak and bounce off the tanks although guns do a good job of AAA, APC, Mortars, Ground troops and Sams the key to tackling the sam site is flying super low skiming the ground head to head dodging missiles and then when close enough hit with the guns and its out.

too*

Sorry, I just had to do it.

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

too*

Sorry, I just had to do it.

:megalol: ...in a world where Android automated touch keyboard corrections fight with what it guessed you want to type, and what you really wanted to type, your fighting a loosing war, my friend. :D

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)