HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

We'll just have to disagree on that.

Exactly. I didn't come here to sell anybody on anything or argue about who's way is better. You asked a question, and I answered with how I approach things. Its not for you, and I'm fine with that. :thumbup:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Why is your custom resolution set to 150%? 100% for everything should be enough assuming you are using the beta version wmr for steam vr app.

Within steam search the store for windows mixed reality and see if you have that downloaded. If you do, when you right click the app and go to settings, there is a beta tab you can go to and opt into the beta version of this app.

Also turn off advanced super sampling filter. It can make things worse for you if your system can't handle it.

I would start by settings all the percentage scales to 100%

+1. 150% used to be necessary to get close to native resolution with the Reverb, but Steam has made some major changes, so 100% now will get you native resolution.

Also, TWC_SLAG, make sure that you're not confusing motion smoothing and motion reprojection, motion smoothing currently does nothing with WMR headsets.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

in game controller settings, scroll down to bottom of aircraft listing and find the UI Layer.

Here you can assign VR-Recenter plus two levels of zoom to buttons on your hotas. Can also assign mouse functions to stick.

Much easier than trying to reach out for numpad 5 whilst wearing a headset.

Note that this is a global setting, not aircraft module specific.

HOTAS = Hands on Throttle and Stick. Last thing I would want to have to do is lean over and look out from under my headset and hit a key on my keyboard whilst flying.

:smilewink:

Yup. On my HOTAS Warthog, I have assigned VR zoom to the forward position of the little, silver switch on the outboard side of the left throttle, and VR re-center to the back position.

Does anyone recommend fpsVR app and why? Does it overwrite your SteamVR settings or something?

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I created two versions of default.vrsettings, one with reprojection & one without and a simple couple of batch files to copy them over the original. With shortcuts on the desktop I just double click on the one I want before loading the app.

instructions how to do it? :helpsmilie:

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

instructions how to do it? :helpsmilie:
If you backup your existing default.vrsettings file by renaming it to be safe and copy the attached files to to your WMR for SteamVR settings folder, by default it will be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings

Create shortcuts by dragging on.bat & off.bat to your desktop

Then double click on to turn reprojection on and off to turn it off

Just bear in mind if Microsoft change the format of the files in the future they will need to be updated

(Note: I have confirmations turned off on the drive I run this so I don't get prompted to overwrite the existing file so the batch file may need editing to prevent a prompt. I can let you know how to do this if needed. Turning confirmations off has a bit of a risk if you accidentally hit delete on a file)

Repro.zip

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Thank you very much! Do you need to restart steam vr or steam each time or just run the .bat and that's it?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you very much! Do you need to restart steam vr or steam each time or just run the .bat and that's it?

You'll need to shut down and restart Steam VR for WMR, and possibly Steam VR each time the file gets changed. As far as I can tell, the defaultvr.settings file only gets run when the program is initially started.

Yes to all 3. I have the latest version of Windows.

I have flown VR in DCS, but the cockpits are very blurry. In the P-51, for instance, the only thing in focus is the head pad saying "NO HAND HOLD".

Thanks for whatever you can do.

Unless it's already been answered, I'll post a step by step tonight or tomorrow night.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

DCS is almost unplayable for me too... i have tried everything in this guide: https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/ and makes 0 difference, like i didn't changed any settings at all. also the reprojection settings in the default.vrsettings file doesn't work at all...
With your hardware you should get a very decent experience although I guess definitions of unplayable will be subjective.

Is it working better now?

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

yes at 45 fps is way better, i only get a few freezes here and there... something is wrong with my system, maybe the fact that i run dcs via hdd? it's the ONLY title i have such an issue...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a way to center the picture, as in TrackIR?

Yes, when setting up controls, choose "UI Layer" (where you choose all the planes - on the left side). In there, you'll see VR Centering (or something close to it). You'll also see "VR Zoom" and I'd recommend setting that as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

what settings is everyone running these days? I tried 100% in steam vr app settings and the jaggies are driving me nuts. I also tried the magic number of 188% (which claims much higher than headset resolution per eye) and then the jaggies are much better ofc, but the performance kinda sucks. :/

Thinking about getting a 2080 Super.

what settings is everyone running these days? I tried 100% in steam vr app settings and the jaggies are driving me nuts. I also tried the magic number of 188% (which claims much higher than headset resolution per eye) and then the jaggies are much better ofc, but the performance kinda sucks. :/

100% in steam, 1.0 PD in DCS, 2x MSAA (MFAA enabled in nvidia control panel). Jaggies are acceptable, performance is OK most of the time with a 1080ti.

Cool, thanks for posting this, MFAA does it. That's what I was looking for. Also pre-rendered frames to 3 makes motion sickness inducing stutters almost go away. Now I only need to get my prescription lenses for the headset, my glasses are kind of incompatible with it for actual flying for anything more than 30 mins.

I think 188% was a relevant number for the Index, but not the Reverb. Something to do with close to being twice the native pixels.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I think 188% was a relevant number for the Index, but not the Reverb. Something to do with close to being twice the native pixels.
188% was the closest to native for the Reverb with the non beta version of WMR for StreamVR. The beta fixed the scalar in SteamVR to be close to native.

I believe 204% was the "magic" number for the Index - twice its native.

The standard version of WMR for SteamVR was finally updated on the 7th Jan so the 188 figure is now obsolete:

7 Jan. Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR has been updated to version 1.1.41. This build contains the following changes:

Updated to use new scaling capabilities on Windows 1903 and above. This particularly improves scaling for HP Reverb users.

188% was the closest to native for the Reverb with the non beta version of WMR for StreamVR. The beta fixed the scalar in SteamVR to be close to native.

I believe 204% was the "magic" number for the Index - twice its native.

The standard version of WMR for SteamVR was finally updated on the 7th Jan so the 188 figure is now obsolete:

7 Jan. Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR has been updated to version 1.1.41. This build contains the following changes:

Updated to use new scaling capabilities on Windows 1903 and above. This particularly improves scaling for HP Reverb users.

Sorry, yes that is correct. Been away from the Index and release version of WMR for Steam for too long!

I use 150 and get results I am happy with.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just a side note as there are some new people here who may not be aware, a SteamVR SS of 150% is equivalent to a DCS PD of 1.25 and 200% is equivalent to PD of 1.4. For the record, a SteamVR of 400% is equivalent to PD of 2.0. (Numbers are approximate)

I only ever play with either Steam SS or in Game PD (never both at once), typically only Steam SS rather than PD which I leave at 1.0.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

what settings is everyone running these days? ... Thinking about getting a 2080 Super.

See attachment, DCS PD 1.0, SteamVR SS 110%, Motionvector reprojection (capped 45 at FPS), HP Reverb of course, 3800X, 32GB RAM and 5700XT Nitro+. Niedrig is low, Aus is off, Flach is flat. New GPU generations are coming out in the next seven months or so for both AMD and NVidia and Vulkan is on the horizon aswell. So I would really wait if I were you.

Grafikeinstellungen.thumb.png.dcab392a2106772ddb159e8e70182850.png

Edited by Der Hirte

Fine, but if you want to judge the effect of different settings, then assessing the frame times, FPS and CPU/GPU load in fpsVR is pretty essential.

+1.

Does anyone recommend fpsVR app and why? Does it overwrite your SteamVR settings or something?

FpsVR is extremely helpfull to find out what is the limiting factor at each time, and also to see how changes in settings is affecting each part.

With Oculus before I had a lot of other software running, not seen inside VR, so basically I flew to test, and then quickly took of the VR-googles and looked att GPU-Z, task manager, recourses monitor etc, and tried to imagine lets say 5 seconds back in time, when I hade seen a lower FPS trying to fins out if it was a CPU core max out or RAM max out or GPU max out.

In fpsVR you can see it in the googles real time, as a spike in CPU or GPU or RAM happens etc, and you can se the actual frame time for both CPU and GPU.

I just updated to new hardware and from Rift CV1 to Reverb. With the help of thuds guide at vr4dcs.com I got started quickly and with very good help from fpsVR the setup for reaching close to what would be possible with my hardware took me a few hours. Without fpsVR I guess it would have taken ten times longer. I also now know a lot more now about how different settings affect performance.

Actually, the VR settings for my Oculus Rift was never really finished, despite having had and used them for more than 3 years.

FpsVR is king.

Edited by Gunnars Driver

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

In 60 Hz mode, the right eye draw distance are less than the left eye. This occurs with trees and shadows. With explosion effects too.

I hope all the wold that use 60 hz have this issue. Have someone one trick for this??

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

TARGET error when HP Reverb attached - An unhandled exception has occurred. Memory overwrite / read

When running Target TARGETScriptEditor with my F/A-18C DCS script, and I press TARGET "DeviceAnalyzer" when my HP Reverb VR goggles are started an error window shows up:

"An unhandled exception has occurred.

Exception:

System.Windows.Markup.XamIParseException: The invocation of the constructor on type FASTDeviceTester.EventTester’ that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception. -> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

at FastControl.TmHidRaw.TmHRInitializeO at FASTDeviceTester.EventTester..ctorO - End of inner exception stack trace - at .. "

etc.

Note: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

When I STOP HP Reverb by unplugging the USB part (for audio and power, not the Displayport) THEN TARGET "DeviceAnalyzer" will run and show Virtual TMWH HOTAS properly.

TARGET SEEMS to run without further errors BUT:

I suspect this to be the cause for button errors/ and spikes when running DCS

(makes occasionally fire missiles when no button is touched, which is BAD, and I had total loss of control on a multiplayer server when connected for a while - 45min).

Anyone?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Not seen that problem and I use TARGET, I rarely use device analyser; but certainly not seen that error

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg