Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Out of curiosity, does the B share the same HUD as the A? And what does it look like? My minor Google search only came up with FSX HUDS.

My Specs

Asus Maximus Hero IX Z270

i7 7700k @ 4.7GHz

32GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3700MHz DDR4

EVGA RTX 2080Ti

Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2 NVME SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2

Acer XB270HU 144Hz @ 1440p (IPS)

Valve Index

OOOOhhh, I wish I had the Alpha of a Hornet!

Out of curiosity, does the B share the same HUD as the A? And what does it look like? My minor Google search only came up with FSX HUDS.

B's HUD is same as A+, A+ had changed it's HUD, then upgrade to D.

So D's HUD is the same as B.

The early F-14B(F-14A+) had the same cockpit as the F-14A, in that they both projected their information on the front flat green windscreen of the canopy and had no specific HUD glass. The F-14B upgrade-for the bombing mission brought with it an off the shelf Sparrowhawk HUD glass that used the symbology and power carrot fro the F-14D HUD, although the Sparrowhawk HUD was wider.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The early F-14B(F-14A+) had the same cockpit as the F-14A, in that they both projected their information on the front flat green windscreen of the canopy and had no specific HUD glass. The F-14B upgrade-for the bombing mission brought with it an off the shelf Sparrowhawk HUD glass that used the symbology and power carrot fro the F-14D HUD, although the Sparrowhawk HUD was wider.

I think it needs to be pointed out that this came later on (like, the first one was installed in 1999 and there were some issues with it which took time to be resolved) so I doubt it fits the Leatherneck F-14B timeframe (mid-90's IIRC?).

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought a Revell Modell of the Baby. Now I actually own a Tomcat :D

I just can't wait to fire the Engines up and take it for a spin :)

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

You know I'm happy they are doing earlier versions, for one I love the colors and patterns Don't get me wrong the greys and Blacks on the D models are cool but they get old. Early As and Bs are very colorful. Also I used to not like the glove vanes but this picture is bringing me around, I hope they make it a visual option, or someone mods it in.

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

DN-SC-89-09794_F-14A_VF-2_1xAIM-54_3xAIM-7_3xAIM-9.jpg

Man it's a pretty bird, My excitement for this monster in DCS grows everyday! :D

That's a great picture! Classic mid-80s deployment on Ranger.

Doing a Mid-80s F-14A gives them the opportunity to do a lot of different schemes. The Mid-80s was the start of the standard TPS schemes (with great/interesting weathering for a western jet BTW), but lots of squadrons also were still using gloss gull grey with colorful markings - like your picture from VF-2.

This going to be an amazing module if they can pull off all of these big features: Jester AI, new theater, and carrier ops.

I still can't believe that this project is on it's way - its everything I wanted in a flight sim.

-Nick

That's a great picture! Classic mid-80s deployment on Ranger.

Doing a Mid-80s F-14A gives them the opportunity to do a lot of different schemes. The Mid-80s was the start of the standard TPS schemes (with great/interesting weathering for a western jet BTW), but lots of squadrons also were still using gloss gull grey with colorful markings - like your picture from VF-2.

This going to be an amazing module if they can pull off all of these big features: Jester AI, new theater, and carrier ops.

I still can't believe that this project is on it's way - its everything I wanted in a flight sim.

-Nick

One thing that always struck me is how early the transition to low-vis markings actually began. The era of highly colorful markings actually ended in the late-'70s. That means that Tomcats were low-vis before I was even born. :(

• 2 weeks later...
I've bought a Revell Modell of the Baby. Now I actually own a Tomcat :D

I just can't wait to fire the Engines up and take it for a spin :)

I have the old one from Tamiya in 1/32 and the newest Tomcat is the F-14D fom Hobby Boss.:)

hey i have found another one. Its Fleet Defender,:lol: old times

Cant wait for the release of LN Bombcat

One thing that always struck me is how early the transition to low-vis markings actually began. The era of highly colorful markings actually ended in the late-'70s. That means that Tomcats were low-vis before I was even born. :(

Not totally. The "uber-colorful" gull grey with white underbelly and large colorful markings did disappear in the late 70s. Fleet squadrons in the mid-80s were a mix of TPS (3 color tactical grey paint scheme that weathers quickly and is extensively touched up - think the jets seen in Top Gun and later F-14s) and all gloss grey aircraft like the VF-2 Tomcat pictured above. Many different squadrons held onto some color through the 80s. Here are some examples:

Here is VF-31 and VF-11 in 1987:

1357480.jpg

VF-31 again in 1987 (classic scheme - the "pencil scheme :)):

F14-87_filtered_zps92893391.jpg

VF-21 in 1986-88:

f14a21d.jpg

VF-154 in 1987:

f14a154o.jpg

VF-2 in 1985 (some jets also had this scheme in 1988-89 IIRC):

f14a2ab.jpg

Also, lots of squadrons had transitioned to low-viz TPS, but Grumman was delivering new Tomcats in gloss gull grey during the 1980s. The USN allowed these gull grey Tomcats to function as colorful CAG and CO birds, even if the rest of the squadron was TPS.

VF-84 in 1988:

F-14A_VF-84_at_NAS_Fallon_1988.JPEG

And their unique low-viz scheme (2 color IIRC):

image057.jpg

Another low-viz in 1986:

14091995314_dab5bac352_o.jpg

Finally, nice example of both CAG and line birds. VF-111 on Carl Vinson in 1986-87 in the Bering Sea, love this picture and the contrast between the 2 schemes:

F-14As_VF-111_on_USS_Carl_Vinson_(CVN-70)_1987.JPEG

-Nick