Server and Client on same network problems

G'day,

I have a second PC that I want to use for a dedicated Multiplayer DCS Server on my network while I fly as a Client with the main PC. The trouble is I cannot see the Server on the Public Server List to connect to and fly with my Client PC.

Both the network PC's have the Windows firewall rules set to allow port 10308.

The main router that they connect to the internet with has port 10308 open.

I can fly on any open Public servers with the Client PC.

Any help to get this going would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

The details...

The Server PC has a free DCS Steam account (FRED) with Open Beta running only. (Caucasus and Su-25T). I want to run this server basic at the moment, so RALPH and SAM can join as they dont have any assets yet.

The Client PC has full DCS World account - NON STEAM (GEORGE) running all assets.

When FRED starts the server GEORGE cannot see the server. If GEORGE starts the server FRED cannot see it???

1897200755_DCSMulitplayerServer.thumb.png.13c8f9e2f7d9e28822b1b92a22c9b542.png

I had the same issue but it is easy to fix. Open the port for your server in your router and with your gamming PC connect to your server using LAN.

The other clients/players can cooent to your server using the normal procedure but your gamming PC on the same network can connect easily and better using LAN.

I had not used Steam so I am not sure if this would have any additional impact but on your same network, keep your Server PC conected normally and open the ports and with your gamming PC search for server on your LAN instead the internet.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Furia

Thanks for the replies!

Both PC's have TCP/IP 4 and 6 protocols running. I am just now looking at setting up the IPv6 DHCP for the network.(All new to this IPv6 stuff.)

Did have to add dcs.exe to the Server PC wirewall inbound rules. :doh:

I cannot connect over LAN. Address unavailable errors.

Edited by BrassEm

Thanks for the replies!

Both PC's have TCP/IP 4 and 6 protocols running. I am just now looking at setting up the IPv6 DHCP for the network.(All new to this IPv6 stuff.)

Did have to add dcs.exe to the Server PC wirewall inbound rules. :doh:

I cannot connect over LAN. Address unavailable errors.

That is because DCS have bound to IP 6 address. Try to disable IP 6. You will then not be able to see the server on your own LAN but you will be able to connect using the local IP address.

I've disabled the IPv6 DHCP on the router and TCP/IPv6 protocol on both PC's network adapters.

IPConfig only shows up TCP/IPv4 addressing now.

I am assuming that port 10308 is TCP and not UDP.

I've never been able to see the server on the PC that is running it as the server was created from within DCS itself.

I've tried connecting the client to the server via 1.1.1.2:10308 (As per the diagram)

Still no joy. Address not available.

The main router that they connect to the internet with has port 10308 open.

So WAN port 10308 is directed to IP 1.1.1.2 ?

I have a server on my other PC in my house, so when I want to connect to it is use its LAN IP:port eg 1.1.1.2:10308

just a question, in your picture , you have 3 routers in your house ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I just posted this same thing in the main multiplayer forum before I read this thread.

I'm trying to do the same thing.

2 computers hardwired to the router. both have static IPs assigned by the router (192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3). The server machine has port forwarding on port 10308 set up in the router. The server settings in game is using the router's address (11.19.14.214:10308 )

Both machines can join MP games.

I don't know is if someone else out there can see the MP game running on my server machine. Not sure what else I need to do.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

just a question, in your picture , you have 3 routers in your house ?

The main router has port mapping external port 10308 to the internal server 10308

I am at one house. RALPH and SAM are in separate houses elsewhere.

Netstat -b on server shows port 10308 listening on TCP and UDP.

Canyouseeme.org can see port 10308 open when I run the server.

SAM tried to connect online but got server unavailable.

ARMA3 Server no problems

Removed all firewall rules on the server PC. Fired up DCS server and allowed windows to remap the application firewall rules. And BINGO! Windows firewall rule problem... Thank you for your time and assistance!

Edited by BrassEm

I am so glad it's working for you. Could you lend me some assistance? I'm in over my head but I'm a quick learner.

Here's what I have. Where did I go wrong?

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

In windows firewall there is the option to

"Allow and app throught Firewall"

Click on the link and the "Allowed apps" dialog should come up showing all the allowed apps.

Both DCS and DCS Updater should have entries there.

If not click Change Settings which un-ghosts the "Allow another app..."

Click on the "Allow another app..." button and add DCS.

After doing this when you run DCS, make sure you allow it when the firewall dialog box pops up.

Hope this works for you.

• 1 year later...

Something strange happens here too:

Can´t connect to my own server locally from one pc to another.

Pc1 with a VM: DCS-full-install here in a vm - works good - can connect to the server from pc2 (Windows10, DCS installed on drive D:

DCS-openbeta-dedicated-server, installed on drive G: (same environment, same vm, NOTHING changed): I can´t connect to server in no way from pc2. Trying since days - everytime get the message: Server Offline.

Connection to the dashboard locally and over wan without problem.

I´ve added log files from booth installations.

(can´t understand why in the log file I can read: IPv6... - IPv6 ist switched off, only IPv4 is used...)

Any ideas? Thanks for help !

Logs.rar

Waiting for the return of: -TLP- -True LAN Play- Multiplayer without permanent internet connection to ED master-server. Plane wishlist: Antonov - AN-2

I see a multitude of different issues with various people since this 2.5 update. Trouble from not been able to join the server to not been able to see it online and the big one is the issue with this webgui.

For my I’m at my wits end trying to figure this out. I’ve been running my servers for over a couple of years now with out any issue until this update. And now it seems like the old familiar dance we had with falcon. Sorry to say.

For me had a separate install on a dedicated computer using the multiple instances for Nevada, Caucasus and PG with no issues until this update. Now, no one can get one without been kicked from been timed out. I’ve also downloaded and installed the DCS dedicated server only to find that for me it’s porked and I can’t even access the webgui to load or change missions. It simply does not see any of the ports open even though they are and have been checked.

I know something has changed that I can’t see and been this frustrated makes the blinders worse if you know what i mean.

Could some buddy please post a screen of a couple of items. The contents of the structure of the main dcs server directory. I’d like to compare it to what I have, as well as the dedicated server and options Lua files your using.

Thank you in advance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

OK it's not like I'm an old hand at this, most of what I learned about setting up networks was my mining operation but the basics are the basics. Key is to avoid conflicts I think. Here's what I did.

1. Give each box a fixed IP address. I can never remember how to do this in windows but basically you want to find some network control panel and right click on a connection, and keep hitting "properties" until you see this:

CwHfiuQ.png

It's "Internet Protocol Version 4", click properties. Whatever IP address the router gave you, just enter that as your IP address under "Use the following IP address." I'm sure there's a way of figuring that out in windows, to me its easier to open a command line interface, enter "ipconfig" and look for something like 192.168.1.something, that's it. The router isn't going to intentionally make a conflict, it'll just give you a different IP address everytime you reboot. Don't let it do that. Make your computer say "I'll take this IP address, please" when you boot it up, and hope your kid, or your neighbor's kid who is bogarting your wireless, doesn't get it first.

2. Open up a port on your modem. On the side or bottom of your modem it'll say something like "For advanced settings go to 192.168.1.something" Open up a browser, enter those numbers and you'll see your modem setup screen. You want to got firewall settings, look for a screen like this:

CqaTPDr.png

See how I entered a port range? I told the modem to let anything coming in on 10308, 10309, or 10310 in to my computer.

Now, my router seems to attach that rule to a specific box, which is kinda smart, takes care of the kid problem. Every other router I've used wanted a specific IP address, hence the benefit of using fixed IP addresses.

3. Now you gotta deal with Windows again. First, open up this page

Yks7EKL.png

and decide if you want to turn your firewall off. For a dedicated server, I would. I don't care if they want my miz files, yall are welcome to them. On somebody else's computer, or if I'm running my server on the same box as I do my banking, I guess I'd leave it on.

Which means you gotta start making firewall rules. So you go to advanced settings

X0eReVo.png

Select "inbound rules" "new rule" and "port." Once again, select a range so you'll have some options.

While you're in there, you should open up all the other ports DCS needs. Here's a list: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2225915&postcount=5. In addition, I suppose we should open up a range of ports around 8088 for when -- not if, when -- they fix the webgui.

5. Finally, edit C:\Users\DeltaMike\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\serverSettings.lua (your path may vary) with notepad++.

What if you don't have that file? You have a brand new install of the OB dedicated server and haven't got it running yet? No problem. Just fire up your mission in DCS -- on your game computer, not your server -- and host the mission. If you got your ports sorted, your buddies and you should be able to see it in the server list. Exit out of DCS and presto, serverSettings for that mission will be in your Saved Games config folder. You can copy that over to your server, edit to your satisfaction and it should work.

You're looking for this line:

aLo3BlT.png

See where it says "[port] = 10308" ? That's your computer telling DCS what communication channel you want to use.

Now, DCS doesn't really care. It'll roll with whatever port you specify. If you're just running one instance on one computer DCS will default to 10308. You open that port on your router and turn Windows Firewall off and everything will work.

But if you have two different computers running two different instances, there are all kinda ways to cause confusion. So, way I look at it, if you really want it to work every time, I think each computer needs its own IP address and its own port.

If you tell DCS "I got Guns Over Dubai running on my desktop on port 10308, and The Ninja Cheese Challenge running on a 15-year old HP server in my closet on 10309," DCS is totally cool with that. And things should work out if your router knows it's OK to open 10309 to your HP, if it can find it. And 10308 to your desktop, if it can find that. Your router will do those things for you, if you tell it thats what you want it to do.

I'm not sure about this but I think this might apply even if you're running two instances on the same box. "Yo DCS I got Guns on port 10308 and I got Cheese on 10308 too." Sounds like trouble to me, but I wouldn't know. But I think that might explain why one might show up and the other doesn't, just saying.

6. Also, I hate Windows. This kind of thing happens in Linux too, but it's so much easier to keep it sorted and fix it when it breaks. Just thought I'd throw that out there. And that's partially why this isn't a step-by-step thing. I hate Windows so much I can't make myself learn it. So, I really expect you to google up "How do I give my computer a fixed IP address" as you're doing this. I'm just giving you the questions here, not the answers. But, I would submit, they are good questions.

ETA: Ok I'll admit I like windows *a little.* It may be smart enough to do this without assigning fixed IP addresses and you may not have to open up your outgoing ports on your home network. Still, a basic understanding of what it's trying to do might be helpful, especially if you have to intervene at some point

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder